Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts
    Kind of a boring race overall, but some on track action that was at least interesting at times.

Sainz and Leclerc were really clean again, they will make a great pairing.

Those pink Mercs seem to have real pace.

Lewis had things in control all weekend.

Max got a break when Merc decided to pit Bottas again. What were they thinking? Without that move, I think Max would have been lucky to hold on to the 2nd spot on the podium.

A much better weekend for Albon, and they were cleared of the suspected pit box drying gate thinking.

I still don't quite understand the Haas penalty. From the F1 website, the penalty in a nutshell is "Teams can instruct their drivers to pit during the race, but not prior to the start.". It just seems strange, but then again I don't think I can remember the specific articles being tested in this way in past races. At least they still got a point.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    Kind of a boring race overall, but some on track action that was at least interesting at times.

Sainz and Leclerc were really clean again, they will make a great pairing.

Those pink Mercs seem to have real pace.

Lewis had things in control all weekend.

Max got a break when Merc decided to pit Bottas again. What were they thinking? Without that move, I think Max would have been lucky to hold on to the 2nd spot on the podium.

A much better weekend for Albon, and they were cleared of the suspected pit box drying gate thinking.

I still don't quite understand the Haas penalty. From the F1 website, the penalty in a nutshell is "Teams can instruct their drivers to pit during the race, but not prior to the start.". It just seems strange, but then again I don't think I can remember the specific articles being tested in this way in past races. At least they still got a point.
    I agree, the Haas penalty is dodgy to say the least. There was nothing wrong with reacting to the conditions as early as the start of the race. The rules is over bearing here. And l find it very questiionable that Redbull got away with drying the track for Albon. I am beginning to lose faith in the stewarding of f1. It is spoilling my enjoyment of the F1 racing.

It just seems very unbalanced how they dish out penalties.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 20th July 2020 at 10:30.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    It is especially strange since it must have been the drivers who realised during the warm up that it was dry enough for slick tyres, and not the team.

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I agree, the Haas penalty is dodgy to say the least. There was nothing wrong with reacting to the conditions as early as the start of the race. The rules is over bearing here. And l find it very questiionable that Redbull got away with drying the track for Albon. I am beginning to lose faith in the stewarding of f1. It is spoilling my enjoyment of the F1 racing.

It just seems very unbalanced how they dish out penalties.
    stewarding has been almost at joker levels for a while now. it was barely tolerable under charlie but Masi's leadership is abysmal.
    you can't argue with results.

Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    stewarding has been almost at joker levels for a while now. it was barely tolerable under charlie but Masi's leadership is abysmal.
    Masi is inconsistent and does not seem to have a handle on the stewarding of races. He says gloves off racing but his strewards dish out penalties for the slightest of things and do not seem to be on the same page as him. It is grossly unfair to deprive Haas of their sole point in a tough short season that this is. I was not impressed.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Masi is a former supercars race steward. So no wonder he's ordinary and his role.

Liked 311 Times in 168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    It is especially strange since it must have been the drivers who realised during the warm up that it was dry enough for slick tyres, and not the team.
    They did but the radio message from one of them (can't remember who now) where he asked the team to confirm it was OK to come in was broadcast. I'm assuming that the team advising the driver on the regulations is what has been interpreted as the outside assistance.

Liked 788 Times in 585 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Boyd View Post
    They did but the radio message from one of them (can't remember who now) where he asked the team to confirm it was OK to come in was broadcast. I'm assuming that the team advising the driver on the regulations is what has been interpreted as the outside assistance.
    So , then , Masi and the stewards got it right .

So , then , they aren't always evil or incompetent .
    Whew , I was worried .

Thanks , Steve .

9. Likes: pantealex (22nd July 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Boyd View Post
    Giving the driver information regarding the regulations do not fall within aiding trhe driver to race. Besides the stewards are saying that it is against the rules to call the drivers in before the first lap has completed. The whole thing is confusing to say the least. What is wrong with either of the scenarios we are discussing? It would seem it is against the rules to act in a smart way by reacting to the weather information proactively.

There is no element of cheating in either of the points you or l have made. That the driver asked if it was ok to come in and the teams saying yes is normal car to pit dialogue. Neither is pitting before the completion of the first lap or before the start of the race for that matter.

Whichever way you look at it, the penalty seem very unfair.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 22nd July 2020 at 16:17.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 311 Times in 168 Posts
    I agree it's nonsense - but how often has that been the case in F1? If the position had been reversed and it had stared raining while everyone was on slicks, would they have forced them all to start without a tyre change?