Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31
  1. #1
    Senior Member N. Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Woodridge, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    4,034
    Like
    293
    Liked 514 Times in 332 Posts

    Hungarian Grand Prix

    Wet practice was interesting. I'm curious to see what qualifying will bring.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

  2. #2
    Senior Member journeyman racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,071
    Like
    256
    Liked 125 Times in 96 Posts
    Qualifying crucial for Bottas regarding the win and championship.

    When he's a bit behind Hamilton during the race, he tends to stay there. When Hamilton is behind, he's putting himself in contention.

    Last year's race was a graphic example. Bottas had the right attitude at the start, but overdid it and got caught up in contact that ruined his race. Hamilton drove normally, and the team got him a win.

  3. #3
    Senior Member truefan72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    5,474
    Like
    926
    Liked 280 Times in 209 Posts
    Well done Williams for an excellent Q1!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Greenwich, London UK
    Posts
    1,905
    Like
    0
    Liked 451 Times in 359 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    Well done Williams for an excellent Q1!
    Williams has made great progress this season. They have leapfrog Haas and Alfa Romeo. And they are in the mix with Renault and ahead of one Redbull with no rainfall in sight. Both Williams in Q2 suggest that they may have turned a corner and may be on the way back up the grid. Russell showed what a brilliant racer he is. He would be quite something in a competitive car. Lattifi was quite in the zone as well. The lone rookie shows he is a talent to watch.

    But what happened to the Redbulls. Albons Redbull was all over the shop. It seemed to handle like a forklift truck. But Verstapenn showed why his is Redbull's future as he managed to get on top of the issue to ensure the car was in the top ten.

    The Ferrari ran better at this track but are clearly well off the pace of the Mercedes. Even the Pink Mercedes was faster than them.

    The battle for the championship hots up as Hamilton stamps an authoritative pole position on his 90th career pole and 8th Hungarian pole position, leaving Bottas with work to do tomorrow. Bottas has impressed me this season. He has shown that he is championship winning material in the right conditions, but Hamilton remains a tall benchmark.

    Mclaren comes into this race, second in the constructors point table with Racing Point hard on their heels. It is going to be a facinating fight for 2nd and 3rd place in the constructors title as Racing Point ramps up their performance.

    I think Redbull has a real fight on their hands from the midfield for the first time in years. To be fair, Racing Point is outside the midfield now, they are in the sharp end really.

    But what do we really think of this copycat philosophy. I think it takes the Haas idea one step further. At least Haas designed their own chassis on their own. What do you think?
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 18th July 2020 at 16:57.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,506
    Like
    53
    Liked 369 Times in 282 Posts
    That Mercedes - whew - what a car. Flat out through turn 11 - turn 5 amazing onboard - unbelievable stuff Jeff!

    The improvement they have made to that car over the winter - they’ve found around at least a second per lap it appears. Incredible how that team keeps raising the bar. We’ve never seen anything like it before in F1.

    As for Ferrari, it seems clear to me that they were cheating last year. Zero sympathy.

    This may be the best prepared RBR have been since 2013 but the car looks doggid.

    Love the way Renault are losing the plot over Racing Point. The resources Renault have vs the heap They’ve produced. Alonso won’t be winning any championship with that team.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; 18th July 2020 at 19:56.

  6. #6
    Senior Member truefan72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    5,474
    Like
    926
    Liked 280 Times in 209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    But what do we really think of this copycat philosophy. I think it takes the Haas idea one step further. At least Haas designed their own chassis on their own. What do you think?
    TBH i grow tired of the constant snickering and annoyance at the Racing point car.
    So what if it is similar to the 2019 mercedes. they have proven to the FIA with sufficient evidence that they have built their own car. Even if they decided to copy design elements from the 2019 Mercedes, this is 2020 and Mercedes has gone on a different route with their design. which is significantly more efficient and better than Racing point. With all their complaints etc. in the first 2 races, Mclaren, RBR and to a point Renault have shown to be just as competitive if not slightly better, looking at the results.
    At this point it is embarrassing to watch renault file useless protests after protests.
    Also horner needs to keep his mouth shut. For years the STR was pretty much a hand me down RBR, with the two teams sharing many IP and design elements. In fact didn't STR get special dispensation to use their 2008 car in 2009 with a promise to turn down the engine etc?
    Ferrari pretty much gave Haas a condensed version of Their car and in the past and now again somewhat did/do the same with sauber.
    The only difference between mercedes and the other guys is that Mercedes actually provide their customers with competitive engines and parts unlike Ferrari who ensure that their customers will not outperform them etc.
    I have zero qualms with what Racing point did (even though I can;t stand papa stroll) and I think it is more a case of jealousy or anguish by the other teams complaining for not following similar design philosophy.
    Last edited by truefan72; 19th July 2020 at 01:09.
    you can't argue with results. 2019 FGP 2nd Place ;)

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Greenwich, London UK
    Posts
    1,905
    Like
    0
    Liked 451 Times in 359 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    TBH i grow tired of the constant snickering and annoyance at the Racing point car.
    So what if it is similar to the 2019 mercedes. they have proven to the FIA with sufficient evidence that they have built their own car. Even if they decided to copy design elements from the 2019 Mercedes, this is 2020 and Mercedes has gone on a different route with their design. which is significantly more efficient and better than Racing point. With all their complaints etc. in the first 2 races, Mclaren, RBR and to a point Renault have shown to be just as competitive if not slightly better, looking at the results.
    At this point it is embarrassing to watch renault file useless protests after protests.
    Also horner needs to keep his mouth shut. For years the STR was pretty much a hand me down RBR, with the two teams sharing many IP and design elements. In fact didn't STR get special dispensation to use their 2008 car in 2009 with a promise to turn down the engine etc?
    Ferrari pretty much gave Haas a condensed version of Their car and in the past and now again somewhat did/do the same with sauber.
    The only difference between mercedes and the other guys is that Mercedes actually provide their customers with competitive engines and parts unlike Ferrari who ensure that their customers will not outperform them etc.
    I have zero qualms with what Racing point did (even though I can;t stand papa stroll) and I think it is more a case of jealousy or anguish by the other teams complaining for not following similar design philosophy.
    Fair point buddy :-)
    There is some history between Renault and Racing Point. Racing Point got Renault's design tossed out last season, so Renault are probably returning the favour. I think Racing Point took the fast route to getting out of the midfield and l applaude them. But for Racing Point to earn the sort of respect we have for Mclaren, Williams, Redbull etc, they have to build their own car from the ground up.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 19th July 2020 at 07:44.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Greenwich, London UK
    Posts
    1,905
    Like
    0
    Liked 451 Times in 359 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    That Mercedes - whew - what a car. Flat out through turn 11 - turn 5 amazing onboard - unbelievable stuff Jeff!

    The improvement they have made to that car over the winter - they’ve found around at least a second per lap it appears. Incredible how that team keeps raising the bar. We’ve never seen anything like it before in F1.

    As for Ferrari, it seems clear to me that they were cheating last year. Zero sympathy.

    This may be the best prepared RBR have been since 2013 but the car looks doggid.

    Love the way Renault are losing the plot over Racing Point. The resources Renault have vs the heap They’ve produced. Alonso won’t be winning any championship with that team.
    I doubt this is RBR's best prepared outing. That car was all over the shop. It handled very badly. It appears to be both chassis and engine setup that was out of sorts.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

  9. #9
    Senior Member journeyman racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,071
    Like
    256
    Liked 125 Times in 96 Posts
    Great qualifying to watch imo. For the first time in a while, I don't even have a real sense of how the race will pan out today.

  10. #10
    Senior Member truefan72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    5,474
    Like
    926
    Liked 280 Times in 209 Posts
    So 9 laps into the race and the useless stewards have no decision on an easy bottas jump start, or Latifi unsafe release but they can hand a ridiculous penalty to kimi?
    Last edited by truefan72; 19th July 2020 at 15:34.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •