Page 136 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 1441
    Liked 2,833 Times in 1,607 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    That is probably the only viable option if there is a will to change that rule, however I personally disagree with that. Call me a bigoted traditionalist but IMHO rallying shall stay as much as possible as it was in the past because the legacy of the oldest motorsport is what makes it different from other disciplines. I don't want to turn in into a sort of hillclimb with multiple stages.
    Now I should be a traditionalist as well (even though it´s kind of "whatabout..."): In the past every crew of a rallycar had to start from different European cities. You know, Stockholm, London, Oslo und so weite... 2500 K of liasion before reaching Monte Carlo and the real stages... That´s tradition to me.

Since Monte nowadays have nothing of that. A change of rules making competitive drivers go on competing, only helped by a new tyre at the start of final liasion, wouldn´t be that big deviation from todays modern rules.

Else, as a traditionalist way of looking at Monte we should go back to 50´s.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Sometimes what helps the competitors to stay in the event is the knowledge that they have to stay in the event. IMHO if you discard superally you won't have less works cars competing on the last day (after some painful transition period). They will simply addapt. By that I also mean that giving the crews an option to fix double punctures behind the finish will only lead to them having more punctures in the stages.
    And that´s a speculation.

Liked 5,531 Times in 2,289 Posts
    40th PS win to Ogier / Ingrassia

4. Likes: AnttiL (24th January 2021)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    99% of cases the spare tyre at the last liaison wouldn’t be needed. It would be a huge expense for nothing. And double punctures could still happen in the middle of a loop.

6. Likes: pantealex (24th January 2021)
    Liked 1,446 Times in 828 Posts
    I have to admit this is one of the few Monte's I've seen (since 2008) that a (relatively) small amount of crews (WRC that is) didn't finish the event (yes I know their weren't too many to begin with) but still, well done to them. Also, have to admit I was genuinely impressed by Katsuta being faster than Loubet & Greensmith and actually keeping it on the road and finishing 6th. Evans also did a very good job, keeping it clean, quick, and steady. Hopefully he learned enough this year from Ogier to challenge for the win next year.

Neuville also deserves some credit, yes he won the event last year, but to come here with a new co-driver and finish on the podium, good for him and his co-driver. Sordo also managed a good rally if you consider the fact he hasn't been here since 2018 and I'm guessing he and Carlos had some pressure after Tanak's DNF. If anything, it was Hyundai who made the mistake choosing the wrong tyres for the critical parts of the event.

And to anyone who doubted Ogier last year and said he isn't the king of Monte-Carlo anymore, he proved them all wrong. He took his 50th career win in quite some style and I'm glad he won his last Monte equaling (or breaking actually- 2009's IRC) Sebastien Loeb's record and unlike Loeb, Ogier did it with 5 cars including the: 207S2000, VW Polo R WRC, Ford Fiesta WRC, Citroen C3 WRC & the Toyota Yaris WRC, quite a feat which I don't think anyone will beat.

I'm guessing the next round will be a new (level) playing field for most crews and drivers, one which I cannot wait for, 5 weeks is too long, bring on Arctic Rally Finland!
    Only you know your true potential.
    This year we rally #ForCraig

https://www.fia.com/news/wrc-s-ogier...driver-one-day

Read this, and you don't have to click any Dirtfish or Autosport articles in the following few days

9. Likes: cali (24th January 2021),Fredouye (24th January 2021)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    Also, have to admit I was genuinely impressed by Katsuta being faster than Loubet & Greensmith and actually keeping it on the road and finishing 6th.
    I'd say Katsuta is a step above the two others. Katsuta has shown glimpses of real speed in Monza and now here. Greensmith has never shown any pace and Loubet's good stage times this weekend were affected by his good starting position.

11. Likes: Rallyper (25th January 2021),Winner (25th January 2021)
    Liked 1,446 Times in 828 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    I'd say Katsuta is a step above the two others. Katsuta has shown glimpses of real speed in Monza and now here. Greensmith has never shown any pace and Loubet's good stage times this weekend were affected by his good starting position.
    Yes I agree, I think unlike the other two he actually manages to be both quick and consistent, important if you want to move forward as a driver, and if he can finish Monte, I'll start to keep my eyes out to see if he also improves on gravel.
    Only you know your true potential.
    This year we rally #ForCraig

Liked 195 Times in 62 Posts
    Rules are rules and should be respected.
    However, can someone tell me one, only one, accident that has happened because a rally driver drove in liaison sections on a rim? Please mention one accident, and I am willing to forget all the things I have seen from Bjorn Waldegard, Kenneth Eriksson, Seb Loeb and so many others driving, not on a rim but without even a rim. Please mention one such accident. Otherwise, I will remain on the side of Bjorn, Kenneth and Seb.

To be honest, as a driver I find this rule hypocritical, to say the least. I have driven stages on a rim (including a very tough Acropolis stage) and so have done almost all drivers. The safety issue is much more important IN a special stage, not in a liaison section, especially these days that average speeds in liaison section are very low. I have seen Bjorn driving like a maniac in 5th gear on a rim, in a stage full of spectators, and Kenneth driving two stages the Golf with the rear axle hitting the ground, not slowly at all, and then fix the car and go on to win his class. Both of them, as well as the rest I have seen, including myself, WERE NOT DANGEROUS in the liaison section driving in normal speeds. All of them, including myself, were dangerous for the spectators IN THE STAGE. This is why I find this rule hypocritical.

P.S. In my opinion, Ott in a WRC car on 3 wheels is much safer in normal road speeds than 99% of drivers in usual cars on 4 wheels. However, this is just an opinion and should only be regarded as an opinion. The aforementioned safety issues and comparisons are not an opinion, they are facts.
    Last edited by scn; 24th January 2021 at 21:55.

Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    99% of cases the spare tyre at the last liaison wouldn’t be needed. It would be a huge expense for nothing. And double punctures could still happen in the middle of a loop.
    Huge expence? For saving a driver still be around, not going home? Investing millions in a car and driver, it should be a no cost to keep them stay in a rally, having a spare for the last liasion...

Getting double puncture in a middle of a loop isn´t about what´s been discussed. That´s a retire thing. A rally2, if not in Monte Saturday, which also is a ridiculous rule from ACM, no matter they´ve got space for parkings or not.

Btw: I started a new thread about weird or crazy rules needed a change.

15. Likes: T16 (25th January 2021)