Page 25 of 145 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts

[WRC] Rallye Monte Carlo 2021

Quote Originally Posted by ictus View Post
    No matter the surface, the recce goes on in normal traffic.
    Yes. This was the case even in the group B days when they were allowed to use rally cars in recce, as many recce rounds as they wanted. Usually they drove at night to be able to use more speed...in Finnish they even called it ”practicing”. Crazy days.

And someone from Belgium probably can tell about Ypres and the big crowds spectating the recce.

And of course, Safari was even competed on open roads!
    Last edited by AnttiL; 17th January 2021 at 16:57.

2. Likes: pantealex (18th January 2021)
    Liked 1,472 Times in 572 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruNorway View Post
    Is it really that hard finding parking space for more than 50 cars in Monaco?
    I think the problem is the time shedule. They stages are quite far away from Monaco. If they want to do 4 stages and have the powerstage at noon, they can't put more cars on the stages. Even Ice Note Crews can't pass over the stages before the 2nd pass.

4. Likes: pantealex (18th January 2021)
    Liked 2,832 Times in 1,606 Posts
    Don´t forget Pickems thread. Make your Picks. Closing Thursday only minutes before 1st scheduled stage. 1400h CET.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

6. Likes: AnttiL (17th January 2021)
    Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts
    Loubet final aero package

8. Likes: Eli (17th January 2021),er88 (17th January 2021),Fredouye (17th January 2021),pantealex (18th January 2021)
    Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Yes. This was the case even in the group B days when they were allowed to use rally cars in recce, as many recce rounds as they wanted. Usually they drove at night to be able to use more speed...in Finnish they even called it ”practicing”. Crazy days.

And someone from Belgium probably can tell about Ypres and the big crowds spectating the recce.

This went well into the 90s, I don’t know exactly when recce restrictions were introduced, but I know some crazy stories from Delecour about Monte. He said they were doing it day and night for two weeks before the rally. They even had catering vans meet them along the route and using equivalent cars with rollbars and everything. And he said they knew beforehand who was going to win, they would ocasionally sit to watch a few corners to see how fast the others were. Those were crazy times, but traffic was nothing like today.

There is an urban legend about Vatanen doing the recce for 1000 lakes, I read this in a book. He would do it by night also to avoid police speedtraps and he knew the pacenotes by heart, speaking as he drove. And the legend part is he would dip the headlights from time to time while driving flat out to “check” his notes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes: AnttiL (18th January 2021),EstWRC (18th January 2021),Lead (18th January 2021),Morte66 (18th January 2021),pantealex (18th January 2021),timlord22 (18th January 2021)
    Liked 2,090 Times in 903 Posts
    307 WRC being prepared at the back? :O

12. Likes: pantealex (18th January 2021)
    Liked 138 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by petrolhead49 View Post
    This went well into the 90s, I don’t know exactly when recce restrictions were introduced,
    As I recall it was the same time they introduced service areas, because back in the days crews would do their services on the road ections between stages (the road section times were a bit longer to allow servicing)

Liked 591 Times in 314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post

italy was like this even at national rally. couple of weeks before, every night...

Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wyler View Post
    italy was like this even at national rally. couple of weeks before, every night...
    all countries were like that.
    At Greece at late 80s Greek multichampion Kirkos had admitted that a difficult long downhill asphalt stage(Fteri) at rally Achaios,
    he had tested 42 times for one year.
    plenty of accidents also.Somebody stopped to correct,or to pass another time at a difficult corner,and the other was coming at full speed for example.

16. Likes: AnttiL (18th January 2021),wyler (18th January 2021)
    Liked 195 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii View Post
    all countries were like that.
    At Greece at late 80s Greek multichampion Kirkos had admitted that a difficult long downhill asphalt stage(Fteri) at rally Achaios,
    he had tested 42 times for one year.
    plenty of accidents also.Somebody stopped to correct,or to pass another time at a difficult corner,and the other was coming at full speed for example.
    Greece is still like that. I will not mention names, but one driver recently did 35 times the SS Agios Merkourios and another driver did 29 times the SS Grammatiko. Very few drivers do less than 5 passes in SSs. Accidents still happen, they just do not get publicity.
    And not only Greeks do these things. I have seen with my own eyes an ERC champion doing recce for many days, three weeks before ERC Acropolis. Which, of course, is against ERC regulations.
    Last edited by scn; 17th January 2021 at 23:29.

18. Likes: AnttiL (18th January 2021),dimviii (18th January 2021)