Page 134 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 1441
    Liked 12,161 Times in 5,215 Posts
    Ogier - officially now the Master or King of Monaco, and what a way to show it with the performance like this. There is no other driver in the series at the moment who is mastering those changeable and hard conditions like he does, showed it also in Monza a month ago, he is a step above other with this.

Evans - solid and good second place with good pace. Minded his own business basically the whole rally which was right thing to do.

Neuville - second most impressive performance this week for me. To come Monte with a new co-driver and bring home third place and a couple of stage wins, especially on the stages which maybe were the most tricky ones, impressive.

Rovanperä - also very good performance IMO, had some troubles but good pace and VERY good pace on some of the stages, like power stage for example.

Sordo - so and so, but it isnt his favourite event so i think did well.

Greensmith, Katsuta, Loubet - couple of good stage times from Loubet, also some splits from Katsuta were good i remember on some of the stages but they all are still learning and have a lot to learn.

Tänak - started off very well, Friday was also quite good but also weird, weird in the sense that he was fastest or one of the fastest on every stage until mid stage and then dropped massively time compared to others on the second half of the stages. Silly mistake again on the recce this year and very silly mistake/decision with the one spare only.
    Last edited by EstWRC; 24th January 2021 at 17:35.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

2. Likes: cali (24th January 2021),focus206 (24th January 2021),TanaKa (24th January 2021)
    Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doubled1978 View Post
    This is why I suggested 1 van from the organisation that can carry 1 wheel/tyre for each crew. End of Last stage of loop only, and only available to each competitor once per rally and the tyre can only be used to drive the road section.Each competitor contributes a few € to the service of the van being available.
    Let’s be honest, the situation is not happening all the time, so it is just a safety net to stop guys having to retire in a weird situation like happened with Tanak on this occasion. I’m not trying to fundamentally change rallying, but as regulations for driving on the road of have become more strict over the years, surely it’s not wrong to adjust the rules a little bit to help in this regard.
    I think we can all agree we don’t want cars retired, we want them competing.
    I’m not for one minute suggesting we should be allowing cars to be fixed that are smashed up, like Makinen in GB or similar...just if they don’t have 4 safe tyres available to drive the road section back to service.
    That is probably the only viable option if there is a will to change that rule, however I personally disagree with that. Call me a bigoted traditionalist but IMHO rallying shall stay as much as possible as it was in the past because the legacy of the oldest motorsport is what makes it different from other disciplines. I don't want to turn in into a sort of hillclimb with multiple stages.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

4. Likes: AnttiL (24th January 2021),cali (24th January 2021),pantealex (24th January 2021),TanaKa (24th January 2021)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts

[WRC] Rallye Monte Carlo 2021

Maybe not, but surely it’s happened lower in the field more than we realise but it’s not spoken about.
    I thought about the Mikkelsen Australia issue, but you pointed out there was also super special to run after.
    However, I am sure lots of cars have been driven back to service on tyres that while technically still intact, are not really roadworthy, and this could also be ‘public safety’ solution given the competitors are interacting with the public traffic.
    Yes, at least in Finland the tyre must have enough tread in millimetres. Sometimes rally drivers wear out all the tread on a stage.

Liked 706 Times in 333 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    That is probably the only viable option if there is a will to change that rule, however I personally disagree with that. Call me a bigoted traditionalist but IMHO rallying shall stay as much as possible as it was in the past because the legacy of the oldest motorsport is what makes it different from other disciplines. I don't want to turn in into a sort of hillclimb with multiple stages.
    I can understand your point of view, and I agree it’s a fine line treading between the traditions of rallying against modernisation.
    I am more towards helping the competitors stay in the event within reason, as a spectator I want to see as many cars as possible to improve my experience.

7. Likes: bisak (24th January 2021),Rallyper (24th January 2021),TanaKa (24th January 2021)
    Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Outtake from an interview with Neuville in a Belgian newspaper (La Dernière Heure), concerning his new codriver.

How did the collaboration with Martijn work out?
    - "Very well. Martijn had a lot to learn, but he progressed very well. The confidence grew during the stages and the days. On the last two stages together we have lost only 12 seconds. There's still some margin, but we're working. We already know in which domains we need to work: rhythm, intonation and organisation. I'm going to help him on these things in the upcoming weeks. After that we have two test days before the Arctic.

Which are his main qualities?
    - "I would say he is very calm, never thrown off balance and very motivated."

So the test is succesful? Are you going to continue with him?
    - "I'm actually convinced we're going to do a lot of rallies together this year, and in the rest of my career. At least that is the plan."

9. Likes: cali (24th January 2021),dimviii (24th January 2021),er88 (24th January 2021),satnav (24th January 2021)
    Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    I can understand your point of view, and I agree it’s a fine line treading between the traditions of rallying against modernisation.
    I am more towards helping the competitors stay in the event within reason, as a spectator I want to see as many cars as possible to improve my experience.
    Sometimes what helps the competitors to stay in the event is the knowledge that they have to stay in the event. IMHO if you discard superally you won't have less works cars competing on the last day (after some painful transition period). They will simply addapt. By that I also mean that giving the crews an option to fix double punctures behind the finish will only lead to them having more punctures in the stages.
    Last edited by Mirek; 24th January 2021 at 18:06.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

11. Likes: cali (24th January 2021)
    Liked 2,088 Times in 902 Posts
    Sometimes what helps the competitors to stay in the event is the knowledge that they have to stay in the event. IMHO if you discard superally you wonn't have less works cars competing on the last day (after some painful transition period). They will simply addapt. By that I also mean that giving the crews an option to fix double punctures behind the finish will only lead to them having more punctures in the stages.
    Yes ofc, because driving with puncture gives you better stage times..

Liked 1,367 Times in 710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    Driving with rally car on the public road is also illegal, allowed only when the rally is on or with special permission. Why the hell you cant drive on 4 wheels? Aswell, driving on 3 tyres on F1 200km/h is okay, no-one cant get hurt for sure. FIA must be taken over, amateurs or bribed.
    Not everywhere, has to do with insurance. In Norway you can have both. But if you are to have normal white plates, and not black, the car has to be taxed in completely. If you buy a R5 car, only to use it in competition, you get it in cheaper.

Taditionally people 20-30 years ago people used the car for several puposes.

Liked 706 Times in 333 Posts
    Sometimes what helps the competitors to stay in the event is the knowledge that they have to stay in the event. IMHO if you discard superally you wonn't have less works cars competing on the last day (after some painful transition period). They will simply addapt. By that I also mean that giving the crews an option to fix double punctures behind the finish will only lead to them having more punctures in the stages.
    I agree with some of that, but not the bit about them having more punctures in the stages, in modern rallying the results are often decided by very small margins, and a puncture in stage is often the end of a chance to win/podium or whatever, so I think that they will wish to avoid that at all costs.
    My personal opinion, is that with these Pirelli tyres, we may (initially) see more punctures than we have been used to recently. Let’s be honest the Michelin’s of recent years have been amazing really given the hammering they got.

Liked 629 Times in 347 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    Ogier - officially now the Master or King of Monaco, and what a way to show it with the performance like this. There is no other driver in the series at the moment who is mastering those changeable and hard conditions like he does, showed it also in Monza a month ago, he is a step above other with this.

Evans - solid and good second place with good pace. Minded his own business basically the whole rally which was right thing to do.

Neuville - second most impressive performance this week for me. To come Monte with a new co-driver and bring home third place and a couple of stage wins, especially on the stages which maybe were the most tricky ones, impressive.

Rovanperä - also very good performance IMO, had some troubles but good pace and VERY good pace on some of the stages, like power stage for example.

Sordo - so and so, but it isnt his favourite event so i think did well.

Greensmith, Katsuta, Loubet - couple of good stage times from Loubet, also some splits from Katsuta were good i remember on some of the stages but they all are still learning and have a lot to learn.

Tänak - started off very well, Friday was also quite good but also weird, weird in the sense that he was fastest or one of the fastest on every stage until mid stage and then dropped massively time compared to others on the second half of the stages. Silly mistake again on the recce this year and very silly mistake/decision with the one spare only.
    I totally agree.....