Page 107 of 145 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1441
    Liked 706 Times in 333 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Which was a correct step. Before it lead to number of traffic craziness and potentially negative publicity among general public (Elena sitting in the window during a drive on the motorway for example) and it was also very selective who got away with it and who didn't. If you have two drivers doing the very same thing, let's say in Mexico, and one's name is Loeb and the other's is let's say Bulacia. Who has a higher chance that the police let him pass? Now they are even, at least in something.
    I wasn’t suggesting they should let the guys drive back on rims or anything as trust me in years gone by I’ve followed some completely unroadworthy cars back, but maybe there could be a mechanism where the last stage of a loop or leg could have a van with joker rims at the end so someone who would otherwise be stranded and out can get back to service. 1 joker per rally per driver.
    Just a thought to keep guys in the event for what is an easily solved issue for almost no cost.

2. Likes: jparker (24th January 2021),meh (23rd January 2021),Rallyper (23rd January 2021)
    Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doubled1978 View Post
    I wasn’t suggesting they should let the guys drive back on rims or anything as trust me in years gone by I’ve followed some completely unroadworthy cars back, but maybe there could be a mechanism where the last stage of a loop or leg could have a van with joker rims at the end so someone who would otherwise be stranded and out can get back to service. 1 joker per rally per driver.
    Just a thought to keep guys in the event for what is an easily solved issue for almost no cost.
    Well, everyone knows the rules and everyone knows that there is no superally before the last leg of Monte Carlo. The reason for this situation is the decision to take only one spare. It was a calculated risk which didn't pay off. Such is life.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

4. Likes: AnttiL (23rd January 2021),cali (23rd January 2021),Jeppe (23rd January 2021),Lead (24th January 2021),pantealex (23rd January 2021),Rally Hokkaido (24th January 2021),Winner (25th January 2021)
    Liked 2,090 Times in 903 Posts
    FIA/WRC should delete that stupid Monte exception rule or whatever it is, that retiring on Saturday means no re-start on Sunday.
    Yes, the reason is that there isn't enough room in Monaco or whatever..

At that point P1(and even P2) drivers must be able to continue on Sunday.. They are the ones that bring money and fans to rallying.

6. Likes: bisak (23rd January 2021),Morte66 (23rd January 2021)
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Which was a correct step. Before it lead to number of traffic craziness and potentially negative publicity among general public (Elena sitting in the window during a drive on the motorway for example) and it was also very selective who got away with it and who didn't. If you have two drivers doing the very same thing, let's say in Mexico, and one's name is Loeb and the other's is let's say Bulacia. Who has a higher chance that the police let him pass? Now they are even, at least in something.
    Problem is that the purpose is partly lost when people who have more punctures than ok wheels try to drive on it anyway and first get disqualified in service. (Tanak here, that guy on Canarias, Solberg in Hungary).

Maybe FIA will try to ammend the rule to 4 inflated tires or even start checking/forcing it after stage ends.

Liked 1,587 Times in 720 Posts
    I was actuallt thinking, that maybe there some solution like just "put/clue/attach some layer of rubber on the rim" and nurse your car to service with that.

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Problem is that the purpose is partly lost when people who have more punctures than ok wheels try to drive on it anyway and first get disqualified in service. (Tanak here, that guy on Canarias, Solberg in Hungary).
    No, because without the rule everyone did that not just one or two guys per event. Also they were naturally risking more with taking less spare tyres.

There is really nobody else to blame than Tänak himself here. He knew the rules and the risks, he took only one spare tyres and he picked two punctures. It's not some bad evil FIA who made a mistake here.

Quote Originally Posted by meh View Post
    I was actuallt thinking, that maybe there some solution like just "put/clue/attach some layer of rubber on the rim" and nurse your car to service with that.
    The rules has been around for like forever and plenty of drivers retired because of that. Why is there suddenly such fuzz when it happens to Tänak and not when it happened to countless others before?
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

10. Likes: AnttiL (23rd January 2021),cali (23rd January 2021),jparker (24th January 2021),NoFear85 (23rd January 2021),pantealex (23rd January 2021),Rally Hokkaido (24th January 2021),Winner (25th January 2021)
    Liked 2,090 Times in 903 Posts
    To me it doesn't matter if it was Tänak, Ogier, Evans, Neuville or anybody else.. One of the top drivers is out for possible PS points on Sunday because some Monte-Carlo gets to make some €xception to FIA regulations..

What about some special lightweight space saver spare that is mandatory to have in cars(for using on liaison only) + 1 or 2 proper spares to use on stages..?

12. Likes: bisak (23rd January 2021),doubled1978 (23rd January 2021),Morte66 (23rd January 2021)
    Liked 1,587 Times in 720 Posts
    No, because without the rule everyone did that not just one or two guys per event. Also they were naturally risking more with taking less spare tyres.

There is really nobody else to blame than Tänak himself here. He knew the rules and the risks, he took only one spare tyres and he picked two punctures. It's not some bad evil FIA who made a mistake here.

The rules has been around for like forever and plenty of drivers retired because of that. Why is there suddenly such fuzz when it happens to Tänak and not when it happened to countless others before?
    It's not suddenly. It's stupid to loose competitor from competition because car is not valid for "overhead part" of the competition. From my point of view they may carry those cars on another car from one stage end to another stage start or service. It's more question - at the moment driving on public roads is part of the competition. Yes, it have been always like that, but rules have not been always there to give impact to rally results.

Liked 1,176 Times in 389 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TypeR View Post
    FIA/WRC should delete that stupid Monte exception rule or whatever it is, that retiring on Saturday means no re-start on Sunday.
    Yes, the reason is that there isn't enough room in Monaco or whatever..

At that point P1(and even P2) drivers must be able to continue on Sunday.. They are the ones that bring money and fans to rallying.
    Imagine then some privateer who spends huge amount of his own money to participate in Monte, drives OK pace in this difficult rally and then can't start on Sunday because some factory driver made a risk to go only with one spare tire, gets 2 punctures and still can drive on Sunday only because he is factory driver...

15. Likes: cali (23rd January 2021),pantealex (23rd January 2021)
    Liked 706 Times in 333 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by br21 View Post
    Imagine then some privateer who spends huge amount of his own money to participate in Monte, drives OK pace in this difficult rally and then can't start on Sunday because some factory driver made a risk to go only with one spare tire, gets 2 punctures and still can drive on Sunday only because he is factory driver...
    Of course, and I agree that would be unfair given the current rules, but also this rule for only 50 cars in MC is also stupid. I know everyone knows the rules etc etc.....that’s not the point. The same thing happened to Mikkelsen in Australia, and to me it’s stupid that cars are retired from a rally, or have to super rally because they can’t fit a tyre to complete a non competitive section. Not only does it diminish the competition, but spectators and viewers and losing cars to watch for shit reason that’s easily solved for tiny cost.