Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts

Exclamation Covid Question: Do you wear a mask in public?

We seem to be having Covid resurgence issues here in the U.S. because so many people refuse to wear masks and/or socially distance. It seems to mainly be younger (under 35) people who are the worst offenders, but there are older people who are being careless as well. There was a recent report about a college party house where the kids put money in a jar and the first one to get Covid got all the money. That's nice. Maybe the winner can send his dying grandma a note in the ICU, telling her that he won $100... sorry that he got her sick and she's going to die. But hey, a 100 bucks is a 100 bucks, right?

So my question is, do you wear a mask in public and make all reasonable attempts to maintain social distance?

Please mention what country you're from and what the Covid situation is like where you live.

I'm from the U.S. (land of the brave, home of the stoopid). My state (VA) is doing fairly well as far as deaths and hospitalizations. But like most of the U.S., our infection rate has spiked - although nothing like Texas, Florida, South Carolina, California and others.

Little factoid: wearing the mask doesn't so much protect you from getting the virus from others, it primarily protects others from getting the virus from you. So to me, it shows that I'm willing to protect others. Not wearing one, in my opinion, is a sign that the person doesn't care about the people around him/her. I'm not really a people person, but I try to be respectful to my fellow humans.

"Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 387 Times in 327 Posts
    Here in Absurdistan wearing masks is mandatory in closed spaces. So far we have about.34.200 cases and 1952 deaths for a population of about 19.2 mil. At the beginning we had a very drastic lockdown we weren’t allowed to leave the house or town without a serious reason and only with a written statement. But these days we relaxed and the increase of cases is huge, about 650/day, higher than on the first stage. Absurdistani people are generally uneducated undisclipined guys so you can expect that a lot of them won’t wear the mask or wear it unproperly and they risk to be fined. I admit it’s difficult to breath with the mask, esp. when you wear glasses and there are 35 C degrees outside, but we have to obey the rules, haven’t we? To avoid wearing a mask and any contact with those who don’t wear one in the means of transport I started to walk a lot. Whenever I go to my office I walk 2.5km on my way +2.5 km in return and it’s a tough business. But at least I walk through the beautiful part of the city and have the opportunity to take a lot of pictures ( my new hobby ). We have to wear masks in the office and have the temperature taken every day. However in the office we mostly stay without masks as we come gradually to work and the air conditioned is broken. We literally boil in our own sauce. But we wear it when we go to other offices. I also wear it when I enter a shop, an institution or if I travel by bus/subway. But I try to keep all these at a minimal level and avoid unnecessarily interactions.
    These days people started to go on holiday and keeping the social distance is a serious problem. People seem to forget about the pandemic and party like crazy. I decided to go on a short holiday next week and I confess I’m frightened to travel by train for 1h40’ wearing a mask and close to other people.. Or to be stuck in a funicular with unknown people.
    My first thought was that this year I’d stay home but then all people around me started to go, many of them even to Greece. So I decided to give it a try. So fingers crossed for me to be OK. 😆

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    Here in Germany-Lower Saxony everyone wears them on public transport and in shops.
    At work (when I’m not home-officing) we wear them in the corridors or wherever we can’t keep a distance of 2m. Air conditioning is turned off (except for the non-recycling types), but that’s normally not much of a problem in the northern german summer.
    Cases are very low except for occasional localized outbreaks - mostly in meat-processing plants, “seasonal farm work settings“, or private parties - and under control.
    United in diversity !!!

Have you noticed any larger scale public protests over wearing masks in your countries?

Some of the less intelligent members of our citizenry are making statements like, "I know my immune system and it'll protect me" as they reject wearing masks. What these dullards don't understand is that masks protect others from catching the virus from them, not the other way around. But because a great many politicians are pushing inaccurate beliefs and narratives, many dimwit anti-maskers are throwing tantrums in stores and even pulling guns on employees who approach them.

The way I feel about it, if these people want to roll the dice and put their own health at risk, I'm not so bothered by that. But I don't want one of these chimps to spew their germs on me.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Protests in my country aren't directed to wearing masks. They're protesting a government bill that would require individuals infected with COVID-19 to remain quarantined.

Otherwise, today I traveled by train and I had to share a waggon with about 122 people. Next to me was a group of youngsters, all with the mask under their chin. I felt very uncomfortable about this. The girl next to me was setting a make up and it took more than an hour. Then I told her politely that we are in a crowd and we don"t know each other so she has to wear the mask and respect the rules. Well, they probably classed me as an old fart, wore the masks for about 10 min and then gave up. But they were eager to use all kind of desinfectant solutions for hands. The funny (?) part was that even the ticket checker from the railways service (who was in charge to fine those without masks) was wearing his mask incorectly, with the nose out of it.
    Last edited by gadjo_dilo; 21st July 2020 at 04:08.

Maybe I'll start making Dumb American of the Day posts here. And yes, I'm an American... and over the course of my life, I've done more than a few dumb things. But on my worst day, I don't feel like I could even begin to compete with some of my fellow 'Muricans. I mean, this pandemic has put the spotlight on people who you have to wonder, who reminds them to breathe as they stumble through each day? We're talking imbecilic levels stupidity here, folks.

So anyway, in today's edition of Dumb American of the Day, I present Sheriff Billy Woods of Marion County Florida. That's right, his name is Sheriff Billy - for reelz. Only thing missing would be if his middle name was Robert.. making him Sheriff Billy Bob.

Florida sheriff bans masks as county sets record for virus deaths: "This is no longer a debate nor is it up for discussion."

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
    Yes, I wear a mask when I go out. I'm in England and sadly even though we currently have a rule that you must wear a mask while in shops, from what I've seen only 1-2 out of 10 people are wearing them.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveF1 View Post
    Yes, I wear a mask when I go out. I'm in England and sadly even though we currently have a rule that you must wear a mask while in shops, from what I've seen only 1-2 out of 10 people are wearing them.
    Cool. Good on you.

I can be rather proud of my state and say that we've done reasonably well at following mandates and being sensible. It's not uncommon here to see stores with signs that say "No shirt. No shoes. No mask. NO SERVICE." And IMO, that's the way it should be. But in other parts of the U.S., we have more than a few knuckle-dragger types, who are always yapping about their 'Murican rights and feel that they have a Cosntitutional right to infect the rest of us. They're too dumb to know that the masks aren't to protect them from us, they're to protect the rest of us from them. Oh well. Ten thousand years ago, they'd have wandered out into the open fields, chewing on raw meat, and been eaten by a sabre tooth tiger.

Just got word from a friend of mine who lives near two area universities. The police broke up multiple parties last weekend at both schools, with hordes of unmasked students partying hard. Just havin' a good ol' time, drinking beer, sharing liquor bottles and breathing on each other like a bunch of cattle. Apparently the police issued the students citations and when they went in on Monday to find out what their fines were, they found out that they were suspended for an indefinite period of time. Ruh roh, Shaggy!

"Mommy, Daddy... those mean people kicked me out of school cause I wanted to drink beer and meet a one-night stand. It's so not fair! Make them let me come back!"

Ah, that's so sad. Having good enough grades to get into a good school, but not being smart enough to stay there. So, so sad.

Meanwhile in Absurdistan masks have become mandatory even outside in crowded places ( like markets, bus stations or certain areas of the city ).
    But just look how people spend a weekend at the seaside.