Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 67
  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Oradea
    Posts
    2,626
    Like
    75
    Liked 126 Times in 102 Posts
    I don't know if we really disagree on this issue. I think and hope everybody here is against racism. It's just the professionally offended keyboard warriors that go around looking to throw the racist label. This is how they make themselve feel better, lip service and labeling people, so they can feel morally superior without really doing anything.

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Greenwich, London UK
    Posts
    1,907
    Like
    0
    Liked 451 Times in 359 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    I don't know if we really disagree on this issue. I think and hope everybody here is against racism. It's just the professionally offended keyboard warriors that go around looking to throw the racist label. This is how they make themselve feel better, lip service and labeling people, so they can feel morally superior without really doing anything.
    Well, when you go on about calling yourself a rabid racist and making joke of a very important issue concerning black people, then you invite criticism. So don't be defensive when you act in a racist way and someone points that fact out to you.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 14th July 2020 at 14:57.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

  3. Likes: truefan72 (16th July 2020)
  4. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Greenwich, London UK
    Posts
    1,907
    Like
    0
    Liked 451 Times in 359 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    All lives matter - anyone that cannot accept that is simply a racist.
    Of course All Lives Matter. The 2nds World War has served the purpose of making that a fact. To say Black Lives Matter on an occassion where a white police officer kills a black man in cold blood in public view, is emphazing the fact that White Racism in enforcement organisations is depicting that Black Lives do not matter so they can kill them in plain sight and get away with it because they are wearing a uniform.

    If you cannot see that, then l have a serious problem with your point of view. If the situation was different, say a white officer killing a white man in plain view, everyone would equally be enraged by it. It probably would not bring about a movement such as White Lives Matter. As firstly, this would be a very rare occurence. Secondly, the officer would be arrested for murder instantly. In the case of the incident that brought about the Black Lives Matter, it took weeks before the officer was arrested. And he probably would not have been arrested if people did not take to the streets to protest. There lies the difference which Black Lives Matter is trying to address.

    Therefore, the Black Live Matter campaign is not suggesting that only Black Lives matter. It is simply saying, treat Black Live with the same significance as you would White Lives or any other lives for that matter.

    To argue about White Lives Matter in the Face of a situation where a white police officer brutally suffocates an already subdued man pleading that he cannot breath, yet the officer uses his knee to continue to block his access to air in front of several mobiles phones recording the incident in this information age, is simply a demonstartion of the highest level of ignorance. And l personally would not stand for it.

    ALL LIVES MATTER. We should stand up in defence of people regardless of colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation or nationality that is oppressed by any system of government anywhere in the world. Hence why, it is very disappointing that this is an American incident. American are typically the heros in these sort of issues.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 15th July 2020 at 13:00.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

  5. Likes: donKey jote (15th July 2020),Jag_Warrior (14th July 2020),truefan72 (16th July 2020)
  6. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Greenwich, London UK
    Posts
    1,907
    Like
    0
    Liked 451 Times in 359 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    All lives matter - anyone that cannot accept that is simply a racist.
    ditto
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

  7. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    7,797
    Like
    69
    Liked 453 Times in 360 Posts
    My family is from Africa originally .
    Back then , we hated those neanderthals , the Neanderthals .
    They called us "Homos" .

    This has been going on for a long time , kids .

    Racism isn't funny , but I , personally , like to make fun of it .

    And , I laughed out loud when I read Big Ben's post .
    He was making fun of the gesture Lewis made , and the general feeling of self-importance he projects .
    I got the joke .

    Nobody openly bristled at my "black liveries matter" post .
    Maybe everyone got the joke .

  8. Likes: pantealex (15th July 2020)
  9. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Greenwich, London UK
    Posts
    1,907
    Like
    0
    Liked 451 Times in 359 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    My family is from Africa originally .
    Back then , we hated those neanderthals , the Neanderthals .
    They called us "Homos" .

    This has been going on for a long time , kids .

    Racism isn't funny , but I , personally , like to make fun of it .

    And , I laughed out loud when I read Big Ben's post .
    He was making fun of the gesture Lewis made , and the general feeling of self-importance he projects .
    I got the joke .

    Nobody openly bristled at my "black liveries matter" post .
    Maybe everyone got the joke .
    I do have a sense of humour as the next guy. But there are some things that are so serious such that jokes about it becomes insulting. I also understand that it is disconcerting to be confronted with such a touchy subject such as racism. I know l would typically do my best to avoid discussing it in the first place. But this incident has made it unavoidably necessary to look to the issue of racism in this day and age dead on and try to understand how l facilitate it or condone it in my daily social interactions. It is ubiquitous and we have been socially engineered to behave in racist ways from our various perspective. Hence, it happens between any differences in social demographics. Within races, across races, between nations, across sexual orientations, from able bodied against the disabled, across religion and across skin complexion.

    It has been the root of many useless wars of old. It has curtailed the growth of peoples across the globe. It has fired the bellies of terrorists. It has made us as humans to be less than we aspire to be even in the face of the briliant inventions and deeds that we do. It has made us small.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

  10. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Greenwich, London UK
    Posts
    1,907
    Like
    0
    Liked 451 Times in 359 Posts
    I say, Bottas is looking good for the championship, if he can keep his sh*t together. It was a great recovery and damage limitation in this second race. He needs to maintain the momentum as Hamilton comes to terms with Bottas's fine start to the season.

    The fight for the title seem to be between the two Mercedes drivers. Assuming Mercedes do not have any unforseen car problems which would bring Redbull firmly back in the mix. I kind of like the idea of Verstapenn being in the mix and punishing either Mercedes driver when they are not on it. Great race, looking forward to Hungary now.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

  11. Likes: Mia 01 (17th July 2020)
  12. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    7,797
    Like
    69
    Liked 453 Times in 360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I do have a sense of humour as the next guy. But there are some things that are so serious such that jokes about it becomes insulting. I also understand that it is disconcerting to be confronted with such a touchy subject such as racism. I know l would typically do my best to avoid discussing it in the first place. But this incident has made it unavoidably necessary to look to the issue of racism in this day and age dead on and try to understand how l facilitate it or condone it in my daily social interactions. It is ubiquitous and we have been socially engineered to behave in racist ways from our various perspective. Hence, it happens between any differences in social demographics. Within races, across races, between nations, across sexual orientations, from able bodied against the disabled, across religion and across skin complexion.

    It has been the root of many useless wars of old. It has curtailed the growth of peoples across the globe. It has fired the bellies of terrorists. It has made us as humans to be less than we aspire to be even in the face of the briliant inventions and deeds that we do. It has made us small.
    Being hyper-sensitive doesn't help .

    Laughing about how stupid it is does , as it at least let's us talk about it without it getting too angry .

    Nobody wants to look stupid , so if society in general can laugh at them , maybe racists will see themselves in a different light .
    The name "Archie Bunker" comes to mind .

    As for the BLM movement in general , it's getting old .
    By that , I mean that people are tiring of the message , even though it is that important .
    It's now sounding like just endless complaints , and nobody , no matter how serious it is , can endure it endlessly .

    My suggestion would be to laud diversity , by showing how important all members of the population really are , by showing what they do and have done .
    Black heroes matter .
    I imagine a guy like Lewis putting ideas in the heads of not only all the British youngsters , but specifically the non-white ones(or pink if you prefer) .

  13. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Greenwich, London UK
    Posts
    1,907
    Like
    0
    Liked 451 Times in 359 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Being hyper-sensitive doesn't help .

    Laughing about how stupid it is does , as it at least let's us talk about it without it getting too angry .

    Nobody wants to look stupid , so if society in general can laugh at them , maybe racists will see themselves in a different light .
    The name "Archie Bunker" comes to mind .

    As for the BLM movement in general , it's getting old .
    By that , I mean that people are tiring of the message , even though it is that important .
    It's now sounding like just endless complaints , and nobody , no matter how serious it is , can endure it endlessly .

    My suggestion would be to laud diversity , by showing how important all members of the population really are , by showing what they do and have done .
    Black heroes matter .
    I imagine a guy like Lewis putting ideas in the heads of not only all the British youngsters , but specifically the non-white ones(or pink if you prefer) .
    Yours is a fair comment l admit. There are more than one way to deal with the issue. It is a scary subject, for it has many connotations. Hence, l can see how the sheer weight of it becomes unbearable after awhile. But it is important to keep the message going somehow so that this do not become a blip event and return to old ways. We must learn from it and be better to one another.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

  14. Likes: Jag_Warrior (16th July 2020),truefan72 (16th July 2020)
  15. #50
    Senior Member Jag_Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    8,335
    Like
    113
    Liked 152 Times in 118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    I know all about it. So its what.. 'positive racism'? There is nothing positive about doing the black power salute on the podium at a sporting event and accusing F1 as a sport of being institutionaly racist. What happened to George Floyd was utterly wrong but to tar every white person or instituition with the same brush has all gone too far now.
    Just as in all groups (political parties included), there are certainly radicalized or extremist elements within BLM (though it's not a centralized organization). But I wasn't aware that Hamilton had made any comments tarring all members of any race or group with the same brush. If you can point something out or provide a link, I'd like to read it.


    Someone better explain to Hamilton that its more likely a case of black people typically gravitating towards more athletic sports where they most often excel, making Motorsport more of a predominantly white rich mans sport.
    I dont believe that black engineers/mechanics/pitcrew are being refused jobs in Motorsport because of their skin colour.
    In the 3 years I studied Aero engineering I didnt see one single black engineer or mechanic start studying anything Engineering related, period... so there is maybe a wee hint in there as to why the disparity in numbers exists in F1.
    Even with your anecdotal experience recognized, it still doesn't account for the fact that F1 (and Indy Car to a lesser degree) has always been a White male sport. AFAIK, there's never been any sort of serious recruiting or development initiative to get non-White prospects involved in the sport. This is, oddly enough, where NASCAR is more "advanced" than F1 in this area. I mean, let's be honest, at least in the U.S., there are loads of non-White engineering students at all of the top universities. And yes, while Black kids aren't as prevalent as Asians (including Indians), they are there. In my time at Bell Helicopter, they were there. At Cessna, they were there. At Boeing, they were there. Though under-represented when compared to the overall population, they were still there - it wasn't zero. But in F1, they are, for the most part, not there. Even worse, let's mention Asians, who are over-represented in engineering in the U.S., but who are all but absent in F1, outside of Honda and Toyota when they were there. Additionally, given F1's history (think apartheid when F1 raced in South Africa), it's not exactly ridiculous for someone to point out the fact that F1 is one of the least diverse major sports in the world. And given the former head of F1's past tendencies to make racially charged and (no doubt about it) sexist statements, that doesn't exactly provide a "good look", especially in the current environment. But F1's record of being silent on human rights issues has always been incredibly weak, as long as the checks cleared.

    Look, it's fine to say "All Lives Matter" - that's certainly how it should be. But many of those who take issue with that statement point out that that hasn't been, and in many cases, still isn't the case in the U.S. There are still too many examples where a cop, who has clearly committed an offense, is either not charged or there are long delays and the charge is extremely light. Personally, I think that both race and socio-economic status play a part in many of these cases (Black or White, being poor and having a tricky interaction with the police might not be good for your health). But there's no doubt that race also plays a part in many of these cases. The cop who was kneeling on George Floyd's neck CLEARLY didn't think that he'd have anything to worry about. Look at how he casually had his hands in his pockets as he pressed the life out of the guy. Floyd was something less than human to him - his life certainly didn't matter. If the suspect had been an equally non-threatening White female, would he have been so bold and careless? I very, very seriously doubt it. And people know that. Hence, the outrage... misplaced or not.

    Often I'm reminded of the famous line from Orwell's Animal Farm when I observe some of the goings on these days: All animals are equal... but some are more equal. Ol' George was a pretty smart feller - don't get me started on 1984.

    Anyway, take it as you will. We all have a right to our own points of view. Hopefully we will begin to see better days and more tranquility for all as we move forward.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

  16. Likes: Bagwan (17th July 2020),N4D13 (17th July 2020),truefan72 (17th July 2020)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •