Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,053 Times in 594 Posts

Austrlia GP Part 2

I know FP1 is over but this thread will cover everything.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    FP2 is also over
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

Liked 660 Times in 460 Posts
    It's weird having race weekends again. But I'm glad we have something to watch and I hope things keep switching up to keep us on our toes!

4. Likes: Jag_Warrior (11th July 2020)
    Liked 639 Times in 505 Posts
    Smokin' lap by the boss!
    May the forza be with you

6. Likes: truefan72 (11th July 2020)
    Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
    Smokin' lap by the boss!
    It was scintillating. In fact i was very pleased with the entire grid.
    Russel P12
    Ocon p5
    Sainz P3
    Norris p6 (but really p3!)
    Gasly p8
    It was a wonderful qualifying session. and exciting too.

On to the race
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    It was scintillating. In fact i was very pleased with the entire grid.
    Russel P12
    Ocon p5
    Sainz P3
    Norris p6 (but really p3!)
    Gasly p8
    It was a wonderful qualifying session. and exciting too.

On to the race
    Nope, Norris qualified P6 and will start P9.

I think people have been too excited about some drivers' performances this quali, such as Hamilton, Sainz and Ocon. Yes, it's obviously true that Hamilton pulled a very good lap, but I don't think the large difference to second place is because the lap is "stuff of the greats", but rather, because Verstappen and Bottas dropped the ball. Bottas in particular qualifying behind a McLaren is embarrassing, although I don't know if he was hindered by yellow flags.

On top of that, it's very noteworthy that P5 (Ocon) to P9 (Ricciardo) were separated by less than three tenths of a second. Sainz was the only midfield driver to get ahead of the rest of the group and it was "only" by .25 seconds, which is significant, but not massive on a wet track.

9. Likes: truefan72 (11th July 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    Nope, Norris qualified P6 and will start P9.
    Alright, Thx for the correction.
    there was so much going on i missed that. i thought he did come in p3.
    it was a thrilling qualifying session.

Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    I think people have been too excited about some drivers' performances this quali, such as Hamilton, Sainz and Ocon. Yes, it's obviously true that Hamilton pulled a very good lap, but I don't think the large difference to second place is because the lap is "stuff of the greats", but rather, because Verstappen and Bottas dropped the ball. Bottas in particular qualifying behind a McLaren is embarrassing, although I don't know if he was hindered by yellow flags.
    I think even with verstappen not making the mistake, it looked like Hamilton would have beat him by about half a second. Remember he was still up by .587 through the first 2 sectors and only got quicker by the end. I believe Verstappen had a yellow middle sector too on that last attempt. But yeah, the 1.2s is a bit of flattery. Bottas on the other hand had nothing at the end. lol. The race is a different beast though. so who knows what will happen. If you told me at 2pm last sunday that a ferrari would be on the podium, I would have been skeptical.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts

Cool

Yeah, but not dropping the ball when others do is part of it, no? When you set a time that causes others to skate off the track when trying to match or beat it, in the very same conditions (not getting a lucky time in when the track dries for a bit, for example), is what has established certain drivers as true rainmeisters over the years. Senna certainly had that odd talent. Schumacher had it too. And as demonstrated time and time again, so does Lewis.

I enjoyed the heck out of that qualy. I'm glad that they were able to get it in and I'm glad that the rain mixed things up a good bit. Congrats to the other talents who put in some great laps in treacherous conditions too.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    Yeah, but not dropping the ball when others do is part of it, no? When you set a time that causes others to skate off the track when trying to match or beat it, in the very same conditions (not getting a lucky time in when the track dries for a bit, for example), is what has established certain drivers as true rainmeisters over the years. Senna certainly had that odd talent. Schumacher had it too. And as demonstrated time and time again, so does Lewis.
    Indeed. My point is that I don't think this was a massive lap or a magical performance like his 2008 British GP. He just kept it together in the fastest car on the field, which is obviously more than his closest rivals managed to do.