Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    I think Bottas did a very good job this weekend. It is not fair to diminish it in any way. Hamilton paid the price of not nailing a fast lap to take pole in the first place. The weird stewards penalty sort of took the shine of a first corner fight off the start. Redbull were trying to manufacture a win with Verstapenn but karma had something to say about that.

Mercedes were very disappointing, especially seeing how much faster Hamilton was on the yellow tyres compared to Bottas that seemed to be struggling. In a short season such as this, it is much more a case of every driver for himself. Team orders only serve to styme the chances of the disadvantaged driver. So Mercedes did Hamilton no favors at this race.

I thought they would let him pass Bottas so that he can recover from the 5 sec penalty with some fast laps. They appear dozey today, the Mercedes pitwall. But they might be genuinely worried about getting both cars to the end of the race with their gearbox worries.

The racing point did not show their real pace at this race due to the Mercedes gearbox worries. I expect the story would be very different on another track.

Did anyone noticed the plume of fumes that was coming out of the Mercedes exhaust. It kind of reminded me of the smokey Ferrari of 2018.

It was a great day for Mclaren. In particular Lando Norris who has obviously matured really well.

It has been some time since we have seen six cars retire from a race with mechanical failures in a dry race. Admittedly Kimi's retirement was for a tyre that came of the rims. Nonetheless, it is surprisingly high for the Hybrid Era.

Also, the Ferrari turned out to be much slower than expected. But Leclerc once again shows why he is deserving of the support that Ferrari has given him.

Albon was brilliant today until that overtake that went wrong. You cannot overtake a six time world champion in the manner that he chose to do it. But we see him exhibit a fearless desire to overtake even a six times world champion. He would get it right next time l think. You can imagine the pressure he was under after Verstapenn's DNF.

I still think the stewarding at this race was sub-standard and largely inconsistent.

All in all, it was a very welcomed return to racing and a very entertaining race too.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 5th July 2020 at 18:54.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

2. Likes: Duncan (6th July 2020)
    As it stands at the moment, Bottas, Leclerc, Norris and Hamilton are the main title contenders, with Sainz, Perez and Gasly in the outside chance group. I expect the complexion of the drivers table to changed dramatically by the next race as Hamilton and Verstapenn try to address the setback today.

But Bottas cannot afford the slightest off day over the next few races. Leclerc is looking like a dark horse for the title. Anything can happen in F1.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 5th July 2020 at 18:53.
    William Shakespeare

4. Likes: Duncan (6th July 2020)
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I think Bottas did a very good job this weekend. It is not fair to diminish it in any way. Hamilton paid the price of not nailing a fast lap to take pole in the first place. The weird stewards penalty sort of took the shine of a first corner fight off the start. Redbull were trying to manufacture a win with Verstapenn but karma had something to say about that.

Mercedes were very disappointing, especially seeing how much faster Hamilton was on the yellow tyres compared to Bottas that seemed to be struggling. In a short season such as this, it is much more a case of every driver for himself. Team orders only serve to styme the chances of the disadvantaged driver. So Mercedes did Hamilton no favors at this race.

I thought they would let him pass Bottas so that he can recover from the 5 sec penalty with some fast laps. They appear dozey today, the Mercedes pitwall. But they might be genuinely worried about getting both cars to the end of the race with their gearbox worries.

The racing point did not show their real pace at this race due to the Mercedes gearbox worries. I expect the story would be very different on another track.

Did anyone noticed the plume of fumes that was coming out of the Mercedes exhaust. It kind of reminded me of the smokey Ferrari of 2018.

It was a great day for Mclaren. In particular Lando Norris who has obviously matured really well.

It has been some time since we have seen six cars retire from a race with mechanical failures in a dry race. Admittedly Kimi's retirement was for a tyre that came of the rims. Nonetheless, it is surprisingly high for the Hybrid Era.

Also, the Ferrari turned out to be much slower than expected. But Leclerc once again shows why he is deserving of the support that Ferrari has given him.

Albon was brilliant today until that overtake that went wrong. You cannot overtake a six time world champion in the manner that he chose to do it. But we see him exhibit a fearless desire to overtake even a six times world champion. He would get it right next time l think.

I still think the stewarding at this race was sub-standard and largely inconsistent.

All in all, it was a very welcomed return to racing and a very entertaining race too.
    You don’t earn any points for being a 6 time WDC. I agree the penalty was too harsh for Hamilton and was more of a racing incident. Feel sorry for Albon but going around the outside like that is always 50/5p whether it pays off or not. Albon deserved more but it was bard luck as well

I don’t understand why Mercedes could not allow Hamilton past Bottas to get 5 seconds ahead.

I also don’t buy that they really had gearbox issues either. Hamilton was well able to knock in a 1min 7 seconds in the closing laps and Bottas also, so if it was that critical I think they would have not been able to do that- Mercedes just wanted the 1-2, any gearbox issue talk is just an excuse to cover that up.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    You don’t earn any points for being a 6 time WDC. I agree the penalty was too harsh for Hamilton and was more of a racing incident. Feel sorry for Albon but going around the outside like that is always 50/5p whether it pays off or not. Albon deserved more but it was bard luck as well

I don’t understand why Mercedes could not allow Hamilton past Bottas to get 5 seconds ahead.

I also don’t buy that they really had gearbox issues either. Hamilton was well able to knock in a 1min 7 seconds in the closing laps and Bottas also, so if it was that critical I think they would have not been able to do that- Mercedes just wanted the 1-2, any gearbox issue talk is just an excuse to cover that up.
    Well they did not get their one-two finish in the end , did they?
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    The Mercedes PR stunt works. I was a rabid racist but the black cars have convinced me to turn away from my wicked ways. I hope Hamilton can manage to destroy the lives of the drivers that don't follow him in his empty gestures (e.g. kneeling).
    Hiya Big Ben good to see you back to the fold. By the way you are still a rabid racist.
    William Shakespeare

Well they did not get their one-two finish in the end , did they?
    And as soon as the 1-2 was in jeopardy they were flying again. There was nothing wrong with those cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    The Mercedes PR stunt works. I was a rabid racist but the black cars have convinced me to turn away from my wicked ways. I hope Hamilton can manage to destroy the lives of the drivers that don't follow him in his empty gestures (e.g. kneeling).
    At least LeClerc, Verstappen, Antonio Giovinazzi, Daniil Kvyat, Carlos Sainz and Kimi Raikkonen had the sense to not take a knee.

If someone comes up to me and expects me to take a knee to these rabid racists they’ll be spending quite a number of nights in A&E.

Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts
    Well just when I thought that race might end up boring, it all turned around in a big way.

Sucks to be Max, and my FGP is toast being I picked RB as my primary team. But he might have had a shot at the first two positions with that strategy. As for Albon, he pushed a hard pass and it cost him. I thought the penalty on Lewis was deserved, but if Alex had just calmed down he might have had a first win. As it turned out, he didn't even get on the podium.

The safety cars kept Bottas on his toes, and we never really got to see if Lewis had a strong attack without it. It seemed he could attack after the first, but Merc were seemingly in hold station and don't push the cars mode already.

The Pinks are quick. At the right track they will challenge. The McLarens are quick too, and seem to handle well.

After the penalties, Lando did exactly what he had to do to get on that podium. Other than Bottas, probably the most deserving driver of the day overall. I'd say Leclerc would fill out the top 3 in driver merit. He kept pushing, didn't put a wheel wrong, and put that car where it really didn't deserve to be.

Not a great weekend for Lewis. I hope he can get his head in the game, as the Mercs seem to still be dominant. With the potential for a really short season, he better get on top of Bottas quick, or the head game will be immense.

It must suck much worse today to be Seb. Classic self destruct mode, as he seems to be getting good at.

Great to see Zak and Lando enjoying that podium so much. I hope it's one of more ot come.

And glad to see some faces pop back into the forums. Between the 'rona and the current state of world affairs and politics, I hope everyone is doing ok. I'd hate to find out that people are struggling, got sick, or got too wound up in the current stream of crap much of the world has been dealing with. As for me, I'm going to keep my computer Folding@Home, make sure I have some ammo on hand just in case, and hope that the younger generations find a way to fix past problems without making matters worse. I hope everyone stays safe, regardless of how that might apply.

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    Hiya Big Ben good to see you back to the fold. By the way you are still a rabid racist.
    I suppose i still am. They should do better. Maybe they should paint Bottas black too. He's obscenely white. What can you do? I'm just a privileged white Romanian. I've never had to deal with prejudices from my white western white brothers.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gm99 View Post
    5 sec penalty for Hamilton? Why? He was on the inside and just held his racing line through that corner. Clearly Albon's mistake!
    Should have left enough room on the outside when exiting the corner. Albon was parallel to him. Moreover, from the replays you could clearly see Hamilton taking a trajectory different from Bottas who did stick to the inside of the turn longer. Hamilton's move looked like a slight understeer or an intentional move to squeeze Albon out.