Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    Again, nothing wrong with the penalty for Pérez. I don't really know what you guys are droning on about. Seriously, Pérez' penalty was for speeding in the pitlane. That's as clear-cut as they go, so what's the point with all the moaning?

Yes, I get that Hamilton's penalty was way too stringent, but the other things just don't make any sense.
    It was the timing of the application of the penalty that is in dispute. It almost seemed like an afterthought. For speeding in the pitlane, that should be something that they can issue a penalty for very quickly. It was several laps after everyones mind had moved on to a different aspect of the race that the penalty came.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 9th July 2020 at 13:37.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gm99 View Post
    Wasn't that penalty for speeding in the pit lane? What's so dodgy about that?
    I'm getting the impression that Nitrodaze got confused and assumed that Pérez' penalty was about the unsafe release.

Edit: never mind.

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I thought the stewards at this race were crap really. we could see signs of it with the very last minute penalty for Hamilton which hard him starting the race 5th. The penalty for Perez was just as dodgy. D**kheads really
    I believe perez penalty was for speeding in the pits.
    The albon penalty on Hamilton was very suspect. Hamilton was ahead going into the corner, just because albon accelerated during the corner doesn't make it hamilton's fault.
    If he was ahead into the corner then all expectations are that he will continue accordingly without albon trying to make an impossible pass.
    The sad thing for Albon was that he had a real shot at winning this race if he got past Hamilton. He would have approached Bottas at a very rapid pace and probably overtook him.
    his immaturity on not understanding how to setup a proper pass cost him victory and hamilton dearly.
    My only solace is that Horner left today at his home grand prix with zero points after his shenanigans and stupid protests.

4. Likes: Duncan (6th July 2020)
    I'm getting the impression that Nitrodaze got confused and assumed that Pérez' penalty was about the unsafe release.

Edit: never mind.
    It is very possible that l missed something. Please explain what you noticed.
    William Shakespeare

It was the timing of the application of the penalty that is in dispute. It almost seemed like a an afterthought. For speeding in the pitlane, that should be something that they can issue a penalty for very quickly. It was several laps after everyones mind had moved on to a different aspect of the race that the penalty came.
    agreed
    you can't argue with results.

Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    I believe perez penalty was for speeding in the pits.
    The albon penalty on Hamilton was very suspect. Hamilton was ahead going into the corner, just because albon accelerated during the corner doesn't make it hamilton's fault.
    If he was ahead into the corner then all expectations are that he will continue accordingly without albon trying to make an impossible pass.
    The sad thing for Albon was that he had a real shot at winning this race if he got past Hamilton. He would have approached Bottas at a very rapid pace and probably overtook him.
    his immaturity on not understanding how to setup a proper pass cost him victory and hamilton dearly.
    My only solace is that Horner left today at his home grand prix with zero points after his shenanigans and stupid protests.
    I have to say l agree with you there. Redbull were looking like pointless pratagonists. I think it is unfair to ask Hamilton to make it easy for Albon to overtake him. This is racing and it is up to Albon to initiate a successful overtake. So the penalty was unfair and inconsistent. Afterall, Verstapenn punted Leclerc of the track at a similar corner on this circuit last season to win the race. So where is the consistency.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 5th July 2020 at 16:32.
    William Shakespeare

Anyway, with the race out of the way, a few thoughts:

- Bottas has been quite lucky this weekend IMO, but I certainly don't get the impression that he was the quicker Mercedes driver - at least not on Sunday IMO. He took pole by a minimal advantage, but then saw his 7.5 s lead to Hamilton reduced to 3.8 s in just a couple of laps. We might have seen Lewis passing him on track if it wasn't by Merc's reliability problems, or team orders, depending on the hat you're wearing.

- Bloody hell, Vettel. 2019 was a super messy season from him and 2020 couldn't have started much worse.

- The McLaren guys are looking very fine. Lovely podium for Lando, with a bit of luck with all the attrition and avoiding being impeded by the yellow flag in Q3 - and Sainz also putting on a nice display which almost meant that he was the orange driver to finish on the podium. It's fairly sad that McLaren will still need some mess ahead to challenge for podiums, but it's still a very welcome improvement with respect to 2019.

- That Tracing Point is fast.

- I'd advise against making many predictions for the rest of the season based on this race. This is a rather unique circuit which normally causes more reliability problems than most, and where engine power is more important than normal. With that in mind, and knowing that Ferrari will be bringing a spec B car to Hungary, I'd definitely expect them to steer clear of the Racing Points and McLarens. Well, at least Leclerc, that is.

- OMG, Latifi on P11 was nice, but still, rotten luck for Russell. I think he'd have managed to score his maiden point had it not been for the retirement. Kinda reminds me of the German GP where Kubica finished ahead on him on what was basically a fluke.

9. Likes: truefan72 (5th July 2020)
    It is very possible that l missed something. Please explain what you noticed.
    I didn't get that you were criticizing the late timing on the penalty as you hadn't made that explicit earlier, and the Sky crew had been mentioning the possibility of a penalty for an unsafe release for him, so I thought that you'd assumed the penalty was for an unsafe release rather than speeding.

That said, yes, the penalty did come out a bit late, but I don't think it was strange considering everything race direction had to deal with. And on top of that, what difference would it have made to have the penalty issued five laps earlier anyway? It's not like it would have had much of an effect on strategies or on-track action anyway, seeing as though Pérez got rightfully passed by both McLarens anyway.

I have to say l agree with you there. Redbull were looking like pointless pratagonists. I think it is unfair to ask Hamilton to make it easy for Albon to overtake him. This is racing and it is up to Albon to initiate a successful overtake. So the penalty was unfair and inconsistent.
    I firmly believe there is an element of "entertainment" in some of these judgement calls or to knock mercedes down a peg. The brazil penalty was borderline but i could see it. This was at at worst a racing incident and in all honesty an overzealous attempt by Albon. He would have got hamilton on the start straight, or the long straight then probably pass Bottas a lap or two later. The irony is that F1 is back and all the same talking points are back.
    Shoddy stewards decisions, Vettel clumsiness, RBR/Horner insufferable shenanigans, RBR reliability on verstappens car, ricciardo dnf, mercedes missteps from the pitwall, lol

Anyway, with the race out of the way, a few thoughts:

- Bottas has been quite lucky this weekend IMO, but I certainly don't get the impression that he was the quicker Mercedes driver - at least not on Sunday IMO. He took pole by a minimal advantage, but then saw his 7.5 s lead to Hamilton reduced to 3.8 s in just a couple of laps. We might have seen Lewis passing him on track if it wasn't by Merc's reliability problems, or team orders, depending on the hat you're wearing.
    yup.
    There is a certain arrogance at the mercedes ptwall that always see them make critical strategy errors.
    1. let them race. At that point they were a good 11 seconds and pulling away from the rest, they could afford a tussle and i think bottas and hamilton have enough respect for one another to not take each other out. They were assured a 1-2 either way, so why not entertain the fans.
    2. ...which leads into them not pitting one or both drivers on the 2nd safety car for the new pair of softs or mediums they each had. It continues to amaze me how, I can see that from my couch, but the strategist with their millions of data points and dozens of people can;t figure it out. That is essentially the problem with committee management. too many voices no single person brave enough to make the call.
    3. I honestly feel that the team is that dominant that they should just be run as 2 seperate units, each doing what's best for their side of the garage and only tot intervening if it is absolutely warranted. They have more than 50% chance of winning each race with either car so why not? Because it was actually a bit disheartening on lap 36 of a 71 lap race to hear them talking about effectively bringing home a 1-2. SMH

also agree on the bottas comments. Let's see what happens next week.