Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts

Alonso returning to Renault?

Cadena SER -that is Spain's largest radio broadcaster- is running the story that Alonso will be returning to F1 with Renault "as soon as possible": https://cadenaser.com/ser/2020/07/02...32_457561.html

The agreement between the two parties will be announced in the coming days and depends on more than one factor, such as the relationship between Renault and Ricciardo, as explained by José Antonio Ponseti in 'La Ventana'. The team wants the Australian to leave the team but we will have to see when and on what terms.

It is almost certain that Fernando Alonso will not be able to make his debut in the first race of the 2020 World Championship, which will be held next weekend in Austria, but it is possible that he will do so later, although we will have to wait for the announcement of the two parties to know that detail. The idea is that the return occurs as soon as possible.
    I don't know what to make of this, but it's a very interesting claim. As much as I dislike Spanish press, Cadena SER is fairly reputable - this is definitely not Marca. That said, it's hard to see how Renault would pay Ricciardo to sit out most of the 2020 season on top of paying Alonso's wages, which can't be cheap. The only reasonable chance for that would be that McLaren kicked Sainz out to make way for Ricciardo and I can't see them doing that.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    I really struggle to trust press when there is a nationalist angle to their story. It is highly likely, but l fail to see why Renault would be in such a hurry to bring Alonso onboard. That aspect does not ring true. The urgency would only arise if Ricciado has fallen out with Renault due to their reaction to his leaving the team or vice versa. Otherwise, it sounds porky to me. I doubt Renault has made their decision with Vettel loose and available as well.

I think it is just propaganda to shore up Alonso's chances at Renault.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 2nd July 2020 at 20:55.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    There's a few teams likely eager to make this happen .

Ferrari has a disgruntled Vettel on their hands , and would likely be happy to take Sainz on early .
    Renault is none too happy with Ricciardo , a guy they were likely designing the car around , but now won't be privy to much development talk .
    And McLaren , who is happy to let the cookies crumble , as they get Ric in the end .

And , seeing as Alonso is seen as a heavily disruptive influence in any team , all the rest will be happy to see him at the developing Renault .

I'd love to see it , as , disruptive or not , he's not too bad as a driver .

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    There's a few teams likely eager to make this happen .

Ferrari has a disgruntled Vettel on their hands , and would likely be happy to take Sainz on early .
    Renault is none too happy with Ricciardo , a guy they were likely designing the car around , but now won't be privy to much development talk .
    And McLaren , who is happy to let the cookies crumble , as they get Ric in the end .

And , seeing as Alonso is seen as a heavily disruptive influence in any team , all the rest will be happy to see him at the developing Renault .

I'd love to see it , as , disruptive or not , he's not too bad as a driver .
    I really can't see this happening, as much as I'd like. Keep in mind that we're talking not about one, but three, driver movements - it would just take one team to say "no" for this not to happen. On top of that, as much as Ferrari would like to get Sainz on board soon, I'd be extremely surprised if they decided to drop Vettel mid-season, or right before the season started. If Alonso is actually joining Renault in 2020, Ric will probably take a year (well, a couple of months) off. And then again, there's obviously the money bits involved.

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    Anything can happen in F1 , and it usually does .

Liked 1,053 Times in 594 Posts
    Would this be for next season, correct?
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts
    If the ball starts rolling early on these moves, it'll be Ferrari the give the push. I see two scenarios where this push might happen:
    1 - They do poorly enough early in the season that they give up on it midway and decide to get Carlos in the car half way through to familiarize himself with the team.
    2 - Vettel either refuses team orders or clashed with Charles on track, making the team furious enough to get rid of him early.
    Either of these would get Carlos into Ferrari, opening up the McLaren seat for Ric, leaving a seat empty for Alonso. Other than that, I can't see it happening until after the season.....well unless there's an injury to someone but I don't want to speculate on that.

For what it's worth, Alonso himself has criticized the media for running the story the same day that they announced that Renault weren't considering him at all, which is a fair point - although still not a denial.

Still, as I said, there are lots of moving pieces involved and Autosport also ran the story that Renault is considering "big names" to replace Ricciardo. There's definitely a lot of chatter coming from the yellow camp.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Looks like it’s happening. Alonso returning. He’ll give them the finger a year later if a better seat becomes available

Liked 1,053 Times in 594 Posts
    I doubt it. He's old and been out of the league for a few years. He may pull a Raikkonen at Lotus but I doubt he is going to be super competitive.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."