Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts

What was lockdown like for you?

For many, lockdown was a drag of boredom and endless midday sleep. I put my lockdown into research and exercising. And occasionally watching TV. My TV provider were very average on the motorsport space, but the esport races definitely made up for the absence of live racing events. Besides the esport aspect, Sky was very boring. With lockdown and plenty of time to reflect, they just did what they individually enjoyed, never mind the viewers. Endless Monaco reruns.

Which showed how much intellectually superior the BBC is to Sky. The BBC would have done a comprehensive review of the last 20 years of F1, covering the controversies and emergence of the dominant teams and drivers. They would have looked to the future of the sport, And done an objective analysis of the new regulations. Analysed the impact of the pandemic on the F1 teams and looked at the plight of the Williams F1 team closely. Well, l miss Auntie!

What was it like for you?
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 16th June 2020 at 15:23.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    For me it's been a time of reflection and considering future paths. The lockdown has enabled me to pursue a more serious push toward a business venture that I've been playing with for years. So far it hasn't yielded the results that I was hoping for. But I've been blessed with time to continue for a bit longer, and I've also been blessed with support from a lovely and supportive lady in my life.

As far as sports or racing, I only follow racing and I've spent most of my entertainment hours watching lots of old F1 and CART races on YouTube - I've caught a couple of IMSA and Camel GT races too. I'm an "OK, Boomer", so the old(er) days are the best days, in my opinion. The cars and the racers were more pure, and they just got on with it (for the most part). I've learned a lot over the past few months. I've learned more about Nigel Mansell's time in CART than I knew before, as well as his return to F1. I've learned a lot about various drivers, teams and how they really operated.

I was never a great fan of YouTube before this. But it's great to see the many videos (many apparently taken from old VHS tapes) that other F1, CART and IMSA fans have been willing to share with the rest of us.

My biggest question to myself: what will the new normal look like?

Good thread.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 788 Times in 585 Posts
    It's weird for the whole world .

It's my 60th birthday today , and my wife has arranged to have me sit at the end of my driveway at 5:30pm for a drive-by honking .
    That's what a party looks like now .
    Not complaining , by the way , but it is a little weird .

We've been pretty busy trying to sell a couple of buildings so we can kind of "retire" , so life hasn't really changed too much for us here .
    But one is sold , and another is pending , so life is starting to get ready to roll for both us , and the economy overall , as we have buyers spending , presumably to take advantage when it does .

We have local restaurants that have closed , but also two that have both opened just recently . And I'm not saying re-opened .They just opened for the first time , and are doing really well , with safety procedures well in place .
    It can be done , and done well .

And , you know , it seemed weird at first , but I sat on their patio just the day before yesterday , with 3 tables instead of 10 , and it felt a little , perhaps "exclusive" or "special" rather than weird .

So , weird will morph into normal , which is weird , but normal .

Honk your horn at 5:30pm , even if it feels weird .

4. Likes: Jag_Warrior (23rd June 2020)
    Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    I know that in many countries (Russia, Italy, Israel, etc), your neighbors could call cops if they saw your children playing outside. And then cops would come and fine you.

However, here in Texas, there was only "quarantine lite". Yeah, educational institutions closed, restaurants briefly closed the dining areas, large gatherings of people, such as concerts and festivals were canceled. However, otherwise the life went on normally. Some of it is justified, because in large cities in Texas, the population density is 10-20 times less than in NYC. Almost no one lives in high rise buildings or uses public transport (probably the biggest spreaders of covid).

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    It's weird for the whole world .

It's my 60th birthday today , and my wife has arranged to have me sit at the end of my driveway at 5:30pm for a drive-by honking .

We've been pretty busy trying to sell a couple of buildings so we can kind of "retire" , so life hasn't really changed too much for us here .
    But one is sold , and another is pending , so life is starting to get ready to roll for both us , and the economy overall , as we have buyers spending , presumably to take advantage when it does .

We have local restaurants that have closed , but also two that have both opened just recently . And I'm not saying re-opened .They just opened for the first time , and are doing really well , with safety procedures well in place .
    It can be done , and done well .

And , you know , it seemed weird at first , but I sat on their patio just the day before yesterday , with 3 tables instead of 10 , and it felt a little , perhaps "exclusive" or "special" rather than weird .

So , weird will morph into normal , which is weird , but normal .

Honk your horn at 5:30pm , even if it feels weird .
    Happy Birthday petrolhead :-)
    And many more to come !
    William Shakespeare

Liked 788 Times in 585 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Happy Birthday petrolhead :-)
    And many more to come !
    Tanks .

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Well, I hope that you had a very happy birthday. A car club in Texas did that for a kid who was having a birthday about a month ago. It was cool. Probably a birthday that will stand out for him even when he gets to be 60. There must have been 100 cars that cruised through his neighborhood. I was in something of a mood when I saw it on YouTube, but it even lifted my spirits as I watched some gearheads doing something good for a little kid.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

I am finding myself missing the lockdown, is that weird or what?
    William Shakespeare

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I am finding myself missing the lockdown, is that weird or what?
    Don't worry, I'm pretty certain we'll get it back sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    Don't worry, I'm pretty certain we'll get it back sooner rather than later.
    I have lockdown withdrawal syndrome l think.
    William Shakespeare