Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_swiss View Post
    Why stop there?
    have a raffle for who gets what car, which race engineer, every car needs to race each tire compound during the race, ....
    There was an opinion piece on a race site a couple of years ago that proposed that each team should have to offer up one of its cars, in each race, to a female driver - I guess chosen by the FIA. Each team driver would lose his seat to a female driver every other race, as this person described the scheme. So every other race, let's say Lewis would lose his seat to say Danica, then Milka Duno, then whomever. As best I can recall, the female drivers would rotate through the teams, so that if there was a good one (or a bad one), she wouldn't be locked into any one team. So I guess that would be sort of a raffle system.

Yeah, I hate gimmicks too.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    There was an opinion piece on a race site a couple of years ago that proposed that each team should have to offer up one of its cars, in each race, to a female driver - I guess chosen by the FIA. Each team driver would lose his seat to a female driver every other race, as this person described the scheme. So every other race, let's say Lewis would lose his seat to say Danica, then Milka Duno, then whomever. As best I can recall, the female drivers would rotate through the teams, so that if there was a good one (or a bad one), she wouldn't be locked into any one team. So I guess that would be sort of a raffle system.

Yeah, I hate gimmicks too.
    I like the idea in principle, but in practise, it is not workable. Firstly, most teams would not like a driver taking their secrets to another team. Secondly, the driving steering in each car is so different between the teams, she would need a full six months to learn all of them and then to remember which is which while driving the cars. Finally, this sort of rotation would impact the championship too much to be acceptable by the big teams. They would not stand for it.

It may probably work better if each team were to have a driver each from the WSeries which the FIA can put in any of the two cars of each team as a handicap measure. It would be up to the team to find themselves the best female driver for their team and to nominate which car to apply the handicap.

That way they can have their best driver with more points in the car for all races and apply the handicap to the second car with the driver with lesser points. If they pick their female driver well, she should be able to achieve at least 60% of the points of the second driver.

Even this format would play havoc on the constructors championship, but the driver's championship may be unaffected; mind you, not taking into account DNFs, penalties and and the unavailability of the leading driver, e.g. due to illness etc.

But it would also rule out the chances of the second driver to have an equal opportunity as the leading driver. This could mean for instance that if Hamilton had a bad start to such a season, he could find himself out of contention for the title if Bottas managed to have a good early start and built enough lead to deflect any handicap to the Hamilton car.

You can see how this would weave a different story of who is the best driver of this sort of season.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 14th June 2020 at 22:21.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare