Thread: Niki Lauda

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts

Niki Lauda

This week marks one year since the passing of the three times F1 World Champion Niki Lauda. Here are some pictures to help us remember the life of a true diehard and remarkable racer. Lauda would always symbolize to me true courage to do the impossible in face of adversity and sheer determination to succeed against the odds.

His rivary against James Hunt is immortalized in the movie Rush.

Till the end of his day, he wore a red cap reminicent of his Ferrari days

The fatefull crash that nearly took his life at the 1976 German Grand Prix at the Nürburgring.
    "Lauda suffered extensive scarring from the burns to his head, losing most of his right ear as well as the hair on the right side of his head, his eyebrows, and his eyelids. He chose to limit reconstructive surgery to replacing the eyelids and getting them to work properly. After the accident he always wore a cap to cover the scars on his head. He arranged for sponsors to use the cap for advertising." [From Wikipedia]

As none executive chairman of the Mercedes Petronas team, he helped steer the team to acquiring the services of Lewis Hamilton which transpired into six Constructors and driver championship titles. An extra-ordinary accomplishment for the team and a true gentleman. He was frank and says it like it is, but was always fair and a compationate racer at heart.

NIKI LAUDA!
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 21st May 2020 at 11:42.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

2. Likes: gm99 (22nd May 2020),Jag_Warrior (21st May 2020),pantealex (6th June 2020)
    Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts

How ironic. I watched Rush with my lady friend this past weekend without realizing that Niki (the first F1 driver that I ever became a fan of) had died one year ago.

Thank you for the tribute thread, Nitro. It celebrates his life, not his death.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What an amazing life though, and what a legacy he’ll leave behind.