Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts

Vettel to leave Ferrari at the end of the season - where to next?

With Ferrari announcing that Sebastian Vettel will not be returning to the Scuderia for 2021, where will the four-times world champion end up?

As I doubt he will be wanting to play second fiddle to either Hamilton or Verstappen, Mercedes and RBR seem out of the question (unless Lewis himself changes to Ferrari). Also, I don't think he will want to go to another Ferrari-powered team like Haas or Alfa Romeo.
    McLaren (with Mercedes engines in 2021) might be a possibility, as does the Aston Martin works team or Renault if Ricciardo leaves.
    Or is it back to the beginning with Alpha Tauri?

In lack of a competitive drive, Seb might also choose to retire or to take a sabbatical.
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Not sure about where Seb might land, but here's a wish for Daniel to get that open seat.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

3. Likes: gm99 (12th May 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    Not sure about where Seb might land, but here's a wish for Daniel to get that open seat.
    I second that, as Ricciardo's talent gets a bit wasted at Renault. Apparently Sainz is the early favourite to replace Vettel, though.

Meanwhile, Seb's statement appears to hint at retirement:
    "What’s been happening in these past few months has led many of us to reflect on what are our real priorities in life. One needs to use one’s imagination and to adopt a new approach to a situation that has changed. I myself will take the time I need to reflect on what really matters when it comes to my future."

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Not surprising really. I could see how frustrated he has been with the Ferrari team. Some of the radio exchanges in 2018 and especially 2019 showed some bursting frustration with the team.

Some might say, Vettel failed to win a championship with Ferrari, but one could also say Ferrari failed to provide the car and opertational efficiency that would have facilitated Vettel to win a title in their car. Both sides made woefull mistakes.

Vettel is the second multiple world champion to depart Ferrari with discontent. That says something is very wrong here.

But where to for Vettel. But more importantly, who will take Vettels seat? To answer that question, we have to look at the state of the driver's market as most drivers are coming out of contract at the end of this COVID-19 battered season.

Hamilton is out of contract and currently in negotiations with Mercedes, Whom l think would be more keen than ever to wrap up the agreement asap now. A Hamilton switch to Ferreari has been in the grapevine for a while now and it seems like the sort of sensation that could happen in these crazy times.

Carlos Sainz has been suggested as a potential candidate for the Ferrari seat. Ricciado had talks with Ferrari in the past which were unfruitful. But this time round may be more conducive for both parties. Bottas is also a possibility because he is the most accomplished of the three. A wild outlier is the return of Alonso to Ferrari. It sounds far fetched but is equally likely. Equally far fetched is Verstapenn taking up the seat, but very likely if Ferrari put their mind to it.

So What about Vettel, where to from here?

One posibility is that he may retire early. After Canada, his heart did not seem to be in it anymore. He certainly has nothing else to prove. He has won four driver's title consecutively. I don't think there are many real contenders for that accolade.

The other possibility is, he swap seats with one of the Mercedes drivers. This one make more sense as he would be moving from one top team to another. But pairing up with Hamilton may be as unattractive as pairing up with Verstapenn in a Redbull. Redbull has stated that there is no way back to the team for Vettel. Which leaves the next best [non-Ferrari powered] teams, Mclaren or Racing Point. But can they afford him?

Vettel may well follow Alonso's path and head to Mclaren. They obviously look like a team on a clear upwards trajectory with their fourth place in the 2019 season. With the new rules coming into play in 2022, Mclaren would be a very good bet as a team likely to give him another shot at the driver's title.

That said, The racing point of 2020 looked like the car to snatch fourth spot this season. Unfortunately, we are deprived of seeing how well the Mercedes looking car would go. I doubt Racing point would be an attractive proposition for Vettel. The same could be said for Renault.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 12th May 2020 at 23:18.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if McLaren would really want a former multiple world champion fresh out of a disappointing time at Ferrari looking for a fresh start with their team powered by a new engine

7. Likes: Jag_Warrior (13th May 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by gm99 View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I wonder if McLaren would really want a former multiple world champion fresh out of a disappointing time at Ferrari looking for a fresh start with their team powered by a new engine
    It all depends on how the musical chairs of the driver's market shapes out. But having a multiple world champion in a Mclaren would be a massive boost for the team. It would be beneficial for both parties as Vettel is still a very fast driver and still very capable of winning a driver's championship.

For Vettel, the methodical approach of how the Mclaren team operates would be a welcomed change. And it would provide him with the environment that would allow him to operate at his best. And l don't think the fact that Mclaren is powered by a Mercedes engine has any bearing on the matter.

He also comes with a wealth of experience that would be extremely beneficial to Mclaren. Unlike Alonso, he is more patient and very thorough in his approach to racing. He would work very well with Seidl who is also German.

I don't know if he is keen to stay in F1 at all cost and race in a midfield team that is going nowhere. I think he would rather retire. I would be very surprised if Mclaren do not make a move to have him in their car. There is more up side than downside for Mclaren in having him in their car.

I know most of us would rather see Ricciado get that seat if the Ferrari deal do not happen, but the fact remains that no other seat would be decided until Vettel's new deal has been sealed.

That said, Vettel in a Mercedes would be quite awesome l think.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 13th May 2020 at 01:14.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Vettel is the second multiple world champion to depart Ferrari with discontent.
    If we look back a ways, there are several, right? Vettel, Alonso, Schumacher, Prost and Lauda (at least a little edge when he left, correct?) are the ones that come to mind right off the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by gm99 View Post
    I see what you did there.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    If we look back a ways, there are several, right? Vettel, Alonso, Schumacher, Prost and Lauda (at least a little edge when he left, correct?) are the ones that come to mind right off the bat.
    I actually meant, multiple world champions that did not win a title with Ferrari before they left the team. And yes, we could include Prost if we have to go far back :-)
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 12th May 2020 at 23:08.
    William Shakespeare

Ah, gotcha.

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post

the fact remains that no other seat would be decided until Vettel's new deal has been sealed.
    F e r r a r i doesn´t have to wait for Vettel deal

so order is

1) F e r r a r i

2) M e r c e d e s if their driver goes to F e r r a r i

3) V e t t e l

That´s how I think it is.
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"