Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Like most American sports viewers, I'm watching The Last Dance on ESPN every Sunday. Now, while I'm not ready to compare Lewis Hamilton to Michael Jordan, I would compare the Mercedes F1 team to the Chicago Bulls of the 1990s. And what I (and many others) have learned from watching that is, don't mess with a winning combination. I'd leave Bottas right where he is and let Hamilton race and win (with healthy competition from Bottas - but no melodrama from someone like Vettel) until he's ready to retire.

Absolutely, the fans would love to see a dogfight between Hamilton and Vettel. But poor old Toto would wind up on anti-anxiety meds. His praise of Vettel recently was just (IMO) a way to let Lewis know that he couldn't get a 100% pay raise and use of the Mercedes jet fleet on weekends.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gm99 View Post
    With Lewis now looking set to stay with Mercedes until his retirement, having Vettel as his team-mate is probably the only challenge remaining for him.

Obviously you don't understand how sportsmen think. I guess you were predicting that Schumacher was begging Ferrari "please. please, give me another challenge, hire somebody better than Barrichello" What a joke.

Besides, Hamilton certainly has NOTHING left to prove against Vettel. Vettel lost fair and square in 2017 and 2018. The first two thirds of those seasons were so good for Ferrari that everyone was predicting Vettel's win, and then boom. Vettel lost and then struggled against Leclerc in 2019.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    People who are rooting for Vettel to join Mercedes are completely OUT OF THEIR MIND. Why should Mercedes destroy the good thing going for them? Why should they piss off Hamilton, who is clearly a gem and better than a has been that is Vettel? Mercedes already has a gem, and that is Hamilton. And if anything, Mercedes must be worried right now about attracting the next generation talent. They are not interested in a spent bullet that is Vettel. They want guys like Verstappen.
    Yep, Mercedes have a winning combination that took the 2019 titles (Constructor and Drivers), and the runners up spot to boot. Why the hell would they risk messing that up?

There is a chance that there may be a change at Mercedes this year. If there is going to be a change, it may probably be to promote the next generation into Bottas's seat. Maybe a Russell promotion. If the virtual races have shown anything, it has definitely shown that Mercedes need to bring on board one of their next generation of drivers sooner rather than later. Their rivals are running young teams, Ferrari with Leclerc and Sainz, Redbull with Verstapenn and Albon. While Mercedes may not want to jettison their golden goose Hamilton, they have to start nurturing some young talent in the other Mercedes. Bottas delivered in 2019, so it might also be very unlikely.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 16th May 2020 at 10:07.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare