Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 666 Times in 464 Posts
    I really don't think Vettel will be considered by the top teams, as they have solid driver lineups. And I somewhat doubt he would consider a Renault level team, as his ego seems to remain at a higher level than his driving in recent years.

I see stepping away to retirement as the probable outcome.

If he does settle for a lesser team, maybe he can add to the list of car carnage he has created with his fellow team drivers. I think at some point he has taken out every team mate he has had, and usually in spectacular form. And the explanations are golden as well, as in his mind he is rarely if ever at fault.

2. Likes: Jag_Warrior (18th May 2020)
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I cannot see Hulk returning to Renault, why would they want him? Alonso returning is the most likely scenario and he has apparently already agreed personal terms with the team. Vettel will either retire or replace Bottas at Mercedes. I think Mercedes know Vettel cannot match Hamilton over the course of a season. On the other hand, neither can Bottas so hard to see what they would gain from the situation.

Vettel to retire is the most likely scenario in my opinion.
    Alonso would have to accept a significant pay cut for a seat at Renault. I wonder if his ego would allow him to accept that. He is desperate enough to accept a pay cut, so why not. But if not, then Renault's alternative would have to be either Hulkenburg or someone from their driver academy. Or a money bag driver.

You ask why would they want him, well he has more experience than a rookie and is still a good fit for Renault at this stage of their development. They are not contesting for championship anytime soon. So why not a development driver like Hulkenburg. That said, l hope they sign Alonso. His presence in the paddock is always a wellcomed experience.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 17th May 2020 at 18:30.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Alonso would have to accept a significant pay cut for a seat at Renault. I wonder if his ego would allow him to accept that. He is desperate enough to accept a pay cut, so why not. But if not, then Renault's alternative would have to be either Hulkenburg or someone from their driver academy. Or a money bag driver.

You ask why would they want him, well he has more experience than a rookie and is still a good fit for Renault at this stage of their development. They are not contesting for championship anytime soon. So why not a development driver like Hulkenburg. That said, l hope they sign Alonso. His presence in the paddock is always a wellcomed experience.
    I agree that having Alonso would be a boost for Renault and F1, but I can't really see him returning to F1. His only realistic chance to fight for wins was a very outside chance of a Ferrari seat, which we know was very unlikely. From all we know, he left because he didn't want to be racing in the midfield, and I can't see how Renault would be able to offer him any assurances that his F1 return would be any different.

He has chances of getting a competitive drive in many other series, and is a sponsor magnet, so it's not unlikely that he'd turn down a mediocre F1 seat for a contender in WEC or wherever.

Regarding Hülkenberg, I wish Renault would give him the seat. It would be pretty ironic, though, to have the French team make him the scapegoat for what was essentially a crap car, and then hire him back a year later. But I have a soft spot for the Hulk and I think that he's an underrated driver who'd give many of the top names in the sport a run for their money. Anyway, he seems like the most sensible choice for Renault now, assuming Alonso turns them down.

As for Vettel, I agree with everything that has been said so far - can't see him signing up to drive a yellow teapot. A sabbatical is looking more and more likely. Retirement, on the other hand... I get the impression that he'd eventually try a return à la Schumacher.

And something that hasn't been brought up so far - what do we know about when the Haas drivers' contracts expire? And George Russell? I wouldn't be surprised to see Russell jumping ship at some point, particularly if Williams folds, which is not completely unexpected. We haven't heard much from Grove ever since this mess broke out...

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    As for Vettel, I agree with everything that has been said so far - can't see him signing up to drive a yellow teapot. A sabbatical is looking more and more likely. Retirement, on the other hand... I get the impression that he'd eventually try a return à la Schumacher.

It is not too late for Vettel to turn around his career. He should just follow these four easy steps:

1. Move back to UK and join a quintessentially British team such as McLaren or Williams.
    2. Change the spelling of his last name from Vettel to Vettle.
    3. ?????
    4. Profit!!1!!!

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    I agree that having Alonso would be a boost for Renault and F1, but I can't really see him returning to F1. His only realistic chance to fight for wins was a very outside chance of a Ferrari seat, which we know was very unlikely. From all we know, he left because he didn't want to be racing in the midfield, and I can't see how Renault would be able to offer him any assurances that his F1 return would be any different.

He has chances of getting a competitive drive in many other series, and is a sponsor magnet, so it's not unlikely that he'd turn down a mediocre F1 seat for a contender in WEC or wherever.

Regarding Hülkenberg, I wish Renault would give him the seat. It would be pretty ironic, though, to have the French team make him the scapegoat for what was essentially a crap car, and then hire him back a year later. But I have a soft spot for the Hulk and I think that he's an underrated driver who'd give many of the top names in the sport a run for their money. Anyway, he seems like the most sensible choice for Renault now, assuming Alonso turns them down.

And something that hasn't been brought up so far - what do we know about when the Haas drivers' contracts expire? And George Russell? I wouldn't be surprised to see Russell jumping ship at some point, particularly if Williams folds, which is not completely unexpected. We haven't heard much from Grove ever since this mess broke out...
    Magnussen and Grojean have contract till the end of this current season [2020]. Haas has not revealed their driver lineup for the 2021 season. There are some concerns that Haas may exit F1 at the end of this season. We have not heard any chatter to the contrary at the mo.

George Russell is in the second of his three year contract with Williams. He would be out of contract at the start of the new regulation era in 2022. He is also on the shortlist for one of the Mercedes seats along with Ocon and Vettel. Chances are that there may be no change at Mercedes this season and next. Bottas has done enough to ensure he has a seat next season at least.

But crazy things do happen.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 20th May 2020 at 01:11.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Magnussen and Grojean have contract till the end of this current season [2020]. Haas has not revealed their driver lineup for the 2021 season. There are some concerns that Haas may exit F1 at the end of this season. We have not heard any chatter to the contrary at the mo.

George Russell is in the second of his three year contract with Williams. He would be out of contract at the start of the new regulation era in 2022. He is also on the shortlist for one of the Mercedes seats along with Ocon and Vettel. Chances are that there may be no change at Mercedes this season and next. Bottas has done enough to ensure he has a seat next season at least.

But crazy things do happen.
    Thanks for the info. In that case, if I was at Enstone, I'd certainly be on the phone with Magnussen and Grosjean, because either of them might actually be enticed to join a factory team. In particular, Grosjean knows the team already, was a regular podium contender in 2012-13 and has the added benefit of being a French driver, although I'm not sure about how amicable their split was. It's surprising that his name hasn't come up in the press in regards to the Renault seat, because he's a very obvious candidate if available.