Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pantealex View Post
    F e r r a r i doesn´t have to wait for Vettel deal

so order is

1) F e r r a r i

2) M e r c e d e s if their driver goes to F e r r a r i

3) V e t t e l

That´s how I think it is.
    That's right. I was thinking besides Ferrari. If Mercedes do not go for Vettel, then you are absolutely correct. If Ferrari signs Hamilton for instance, then l think it is a no brainer that Mercedes would sign Vettel. The story is different, if Ferrari signs Bottas, then chances are they may promote Russell to partner Hamilton. In which case every other seat would only be dealt with after Vettel has signed somewhere.

Some media types are very quick to write off Vettel, l think there is still fight in the four time world champion. Hence, l would be very surprised if he hung up his helmet when the challenge to catch Hamilton on title wins is still on. Vettels would have to be a beaten man to hang up his Helmet now. I hope there is still some fire in his racing heart to want to carry on in another team. If that is the case, then Vettel would go out and get himself the best available seat out there.

In which case, Mercedes and Mclaren mostly, would have to justify not signing the best driver available at this moment in time.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 14th May 2020 at 00:15.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 54 Times in 41 Posts
    Looks like Sainz to Ferrari
    Now the Dominos

Vettel to Renault
    Ricciardo to Mercedes
    Bottas to McLaren with Mercedes engines
    "Wives live longer than husbands, because they are not married to women" Colin Mochrie - "Whose Line is it anyway?" - The funniest TV show on earth!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_swiss View Post
    Looks like Sainz to Ferrari
    Now the Dominos

Vettel to Renault
    Ricciardo to Mercedes
    Bottas to McLaren with Mercedes engines
    That would be a very interesting shuffle if it happened this way. Hamilton vs Ricciado would be a very entertaining mix. This would be Ricciado's best chance of winning a driver's title. Would Mclaren choose Bottas over Vettel? But Vettel to Renault is interesting. It would show that Renault means business about winning a championship. But can they?
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 14th May 2020 at 07:29.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    Although Renault now, with Ricciardo & Norris confirmed at McLaren, seems to be the only halfway competitive seat available, IMO Vettel would be crazy to take it. Renault haven't been getting their shit together for quite a while now, neither in the engine nor the chassis department. Their performance last year was absolutely dismal, in spite of two very talented drivers. In addition, Seb would have to face French favourite Ocon as a team-mate. This would be a repeat of the situation at Ferrari last year, maybe worse, as Ocon does have a history of feuding with his team-mate.
    About the only thing that speaks for Renault is that Vettel scored all of his championships powered by engines from Viry-Châtillon
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

Quote Originally Posted by gm99 View Post
    Although Renault now, with Ricciardo & Norris confirmed at McLaren, seems to be the only halfway competitive seat available, IMO Vettel would be crazy to take it. Renault haven't been getting their shit together for quite a while now, neither in the engine nor the chassis department. Their performance last year was absolutely dismal, in spite of two very talented drivers. In addition, Seb would have to face French favourite Ocon as a team-mate. This would be a repeat of the situation at Ferrari last year, maybe worse, as Ocon does have a history of feuding with his team-mate.
    About the only thing that speaks for Renault is that Vettel scored all of his championships powered by engines from Viry-Châtillon
    The wise old head of Brundle got this one right; Sainz to Ferrari and Ricciado to Mclaren. It would seem Vettel is on his way out of F1. That said, Mercedes is yet to conclude their lineup for the 2021 season. Maybe there might be a change in the Mercedes lineup. Vettel might be too expensive for the Mclaren purse, Mercedes can surely afford him. But i doubt they would want to carry the cost of two heavy weight drivers with all the budget restrictions coming in soon.

Therefore Vettel to Renault seems to be the only real option for Vettel now or early retirement.

I would not write off Renault as a championship contender in the new era starting 2022. They look unattractive at this moment but may be a different proposition in 2022. As a works team, it might be a great new home for Vettel to rebuild a team around himself and take the fight to competition. He would be doing essentially the same as Hamilton, but we said that for Ricciado and look how that turned out.

There is also the question of whether Renault can afford Vettel? Is Renault going to be around in 2022 you might also ask?
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 14th May 2020 at 17:22.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    If it's true, as German media report, that Vettel actually turned down a McLaren offer, then I don't see him drive for Renault, either. He's probably still hoping for a Mercedes offer or otherwise retire/take a year off.

I wouldn't count on Renault too much in the coming years; they are still partly owned by the French state and will most likely find it hard to justify a substantial investment in F1 in a post-corona environment.
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Although I'd like to see Vettel stay in the sport, I think that McLaren made the right choice. A younger, less mistake prone Ricciardo, who'd already dusted up Seb when they both raced for Red Bull, was probably an easy pick for McLaren. Zak Brown seemed to indicate that in an interview that he did with Sky Sports the other day. Plus he said that the deal with Ricciardo was already in place by the time Ferrari and Vettel parted ways. If Carlos left, Dan was already in line - not that F1 deals can't disappear.

I totally agree about Renault. Sad how they haven't been able to rebuild. IMO, they could have injected money into Lotus (taken a major ownership stake) and wound up with the same or better results than they're getting now. I think that Renault, Williams and Haas are all in need of management/team principle changes... especially Renault and Williams. But Claire is safe because of daddy. Even more so than Renault, it's really sad how that team has collapsed. Not really a Williams fan, but I'd hate to see them fold.
    Last edited by Jag_Warrior; 16th May 2020 at 20:29.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    Although I'd like to see Vettel stay in the sport, I think that McLaren made the right choice. A younger, less mistake prone Ricciardo, who'd already dusted up Seb when they both raced for Red Bull, was probably an easy pick for McLaren. Zak Brown seemed to indicate that in an interview that he did with Sky Sports the other day. Plus he said that the deal with Ricciardo was already in place by the time Ferrari and Vettel parted ways. If Carlos left, Dan was already in line - not that F1 deals can't disappear.

I totally agree about Renault. Sad how they haven't been able to rebuild. IMO, they could have injected money into Lotus (taken a major ownership stake) and wound up with the same or better results than they're getting now. I think that Renault, Williams and Haas are all in need of management/team principle changes... especially Renault and Williams. But Claire is safe because of daddy. Even more so than Renault, it's really sad how that team has collapsed. Not really a Williams fan, but I'd hate to see them fold.
    I think Zak is saving face on Vettel. I think they approached him with ridiculous money and Vettel told Mclaren to take a hike. The fact of the matter is that the FIA and The F1 management [liberty] are discussing capping driver's wages as part of the cost cap discussions. My guess is that Mclaren applied that principle to their talk with Vettel and it did not come out well.

Besides, Ricciado would not have accepted the Mclaren deal until he was sure he was discounted from the Ferrari seat. I think Ricciado was happy to take a pay cut to get the hell out of Renault.

The way the season is going, some teams may fold by the end of the year. The car industry appears to be hard hit by the COVID-19 pandemic. Which may be a factor in the Ferrari-Vettel split and why a cheaper Sainz was a good option for Ferrari at this point in time. For this reason alone, a Renault-Vettel partnership is highly unlikely.

If Renault stays in the sport for the 2021 season, my guess is that they may run two young drivers to keep their cost down to manageable levels. We may see a new face in F1 from the F2 brigade of drivers. Or the return of Hulkenburg.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 16th May 2020 at 22:29.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 788 Times in 585 Posts
    " Or the return of Hulkenburg."

Or................................................ ........................Alonso .

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    I cannot see Hulk returning to Renault, why would they want him? Alonso returning is the most likely scenario and he has apparently already agreed personal terms with the team. Vettel will either retire or replace Bottas at Mercedes. I think Mercedes know Vettel cannot match Hamilton over the course of a season. On the other hand, neither can Bottas so hard to see what they would gain from the situation.

Vettel to retire is the most likely scenario in my opinion.