Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts

Should F1 start Racing in May?

The EU parliament has been discussing the possibility of lifting the lockdown in mid may. A move that is well supported but does have its oppositions in some countries like France that is pushing for September at the earliest. Some countries have started to relax the lockdown. Apparently, Austria is allowing restaurants to open for business. All the signs are suggesting that the earliest window for F1 to commence some form of racing is looking possible in a matter of weeks.

If the EU Parliament approves a relax of the lockdown in May this year, closed racing in Europe is very feasible and highly likely by June at the latest; it appears. Chances for a 15 race season now seems conceivable.

Is a closed race a wellcomed prospect for you the fans? Personally, l would love it.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 23rd April 2020 at 15:28.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 54 Times in 41 Posts
    I would not like any sporting event behind closed doors.
    There need to be people there, a few years ago, Tony Kanaan complaint how only 5,000 people attended a race at Fontana.
    I strongly believe the athletes need to perform in front of spectators, and that vibe shows on TV as well.
    "Wives live longer than husbands, because they are not married to women" Colin Mochrie - "Whose Line is it anyway?" - The funniest TV show on earth!

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Anything is better than current e-race F1

I´m ok with no spectators but real cars.
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    According to wikipedia, the 2020 F1 season will start in late June with French GP and then proceed as planned with 12 rounds, and we know that everything on wikipedia is always true.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    May, even behind closed doors, would be great. At this point, I'll be happy with whatever we can get.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

6. Likes: pantealex (23rd April 2020)
    Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    I think the decision when to end the lock-down will be taken by the individual member states, not the EU, which seems reasonable to me as the countries are in different stages of the virus and not all are affected by it in the same way.
    I don't see any racing in May, with the Dutch and Spanish GPs already officially postponed and Monaco cancelled and any other venue stepping in needing a few weeks of preparation (as would the teams). At the earliest, I could see a race happening at the end of June, although I doubt it would be the French GP, as France has effectively prolonged the lock-down until the end of August.
    More likely would be a start in Austria, where the government has already stated it would not oppose a race held without spectators.

And while a race without spectators is not perfect, it's not that uncommon - it used to be called the Grand Prix of Turkey or India
    Last edited by gm99; 23rd April 2020 at 17:08.
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts
    All the cars but no spectators would be better than all the spectators and (virtually) no cars (like the Indy F1 a number of years ago).

9. Likes: gm99 (23rd April 2020),pantealex (24th April 2020)
    Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Nearly every country must be out of lock-down before F1 can resume, otherwise they can´t travel... (England, Italy, HAAS is from USA...)
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

11. Likes: truefan72 (28th April 2020)
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pantealex View Post
    Nearly every country must be out of lock-down before F1 can resume, otherwise they can´t travel... (England, Italy, HAAS is from USA...)
    I think May 19th has been agreed in the EU. Most coutries like the Netherlands, Austria, Germany etc are already planning to lift the lockdown on the 19th of May. Haas build their cars in Italy l think. Though drivers are scattered all over the world. Gasly in Dubai , Ricciado in Australia, Hamilton probably in the US. Kyvat, Giovinassi etc in Monaco. Vettel in Germany, all UK drivers in UK. I suspect Bottas and Raikonen are in Finland. Bringing these guys together for a race may be difficult too. Especially for those outside the euro zone.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 24th April 2020 at 20:23.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

13. Likes: pantealex (24th April 2020)
    Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I think May 19th has been agreed in the EU. Most coutries like the Netherlands, Austria, Germany etc are already planningb to lift the lockdown on the 19th of May.
    I live in Austria, but I have not heard anything about May 19. Austria has already started to ease some of the restrictions, like opening smaller shops on April 14, with the rest to follow on May 2. Restaurants and hotels will remain closed at least until mid-May, while any events with spectators remain forbidden until the end of August.

There will be no sudden lifting of the lock-down on a given date, and certainly not on the same date in all of the EU countries, as they have been affected quite differently. Rather, this will be a gradual process bound to happen at a different pace in each of the member states.
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

15. Likes: truefan72 (28th April 2020)