Thread: Virtual F1

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts

Virtual F1

Anyone else watching any of the virtual racing ?

It looks like they are trying really hard to make this stuff work , but it all came off as a little bland in my view .
    Mind you , there is some pretty amazing display of natural talent coming from Chuck LeCluck , with the Ferrari driver having won the first two races in this virtual series even though having only had 8 days on the game before the series started .

I tried watching the Nascar virtual races as well , and they are handled a lot better , and frankly , kinda entertaining .

I know it would be a stretch to get all of the boys out to race , but a few more would help them to get the fans in .
    I heard Kimi , for instance , isn't interested , but maybe , as they've got time to practice right now , a few more might think of entering .

Anyone who has done any virtual racing knows that one's success is directly related to the time spent on the particular game or simulator , and moving from real to virtual isn't easy at all , due largely to the lack of sensory feedback .
    The Codemasters game they are playing , I've read , isn't as good a sim as the platforms IRacing , and RFactor , or is at least different enough to be tough to switch over to .
    But , it is the Codemasters game that is the platform of choice , as it is the one with the F1 deal .

Anyway , I know it's not real , but it does have some potential to be entertaining whilst we wait for the real thing to come back .

How are all of you doing out there ?
    I helped a friend erect a plexy-glass shield beside his cash register the other day , and caught a pair of wild turkeys on the trail-cam .
    My wife is happy , as she keeps winning at scrabble .
    All good here .

Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts
    I've caught portions of a couple of Indy IRacing races, but haven't come across any Virtual F1. I thought they were entertaining enough - probably mostly for the novelty of it though. Some of the glitches were pretty funny: cars going through each other, or multiple drivers losing it on entry to the pits. I'm hoping they do Road America (probably not, as all I've seen is ovals) as it's the only Indy track I've actually been to.

On the home front, things are different but not desperate. My daughter and I have been working from home for the last few weeks. My wife and older son are still out working, but at somewhat different capacities. My youngest (still in high school) has been studying from home because schools are closed. He actually just got his first job during the pandemic. With the huge increase in online grocery shopping, the grocery stores need personal shoppers...so that's what he's doing part time.

I laughed when you mentioned scrabble. My wife has never beaten me at scrabble. It's not that I'm very good, just that she's that bad. She had a bad day at her new temporary role at work the other day, so to try and brighten her day, I asked her if she'd like to play a game of scrabble - fully intending to let her win. I didn't know how difficult it would be to let someone win without making it obvious. Well she won, and was so happy she took a picture of the board after the game was done - task accomplished!

Stay safe & healthy Everyone!
    Last edited by Firstgear; 21st April 2020 at 15:16.

3. Likes: Bagwan (24th April 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstgear View Post
    I've caught portions of a couple of Indy IRacing races, but haven't come across any Virtual F1. I thought they were entertaining enough - probably mostly for the novelty of it though. Some of the glitches were pretty funny: cars going through each other, or multiple drivers losing it on entry to the pits. I'm hoping they do Road America (probably not, as all I've seen is ovals) as it's the only Indy track I've actually been to.

On the home front, things are different but not desperate. My daughter and I have been working from home for the last few weeks. My wife and older son are still out working, but at somewhat different capacities. My youngest (still in high school) has been studying from home because schools are closed. He actually just got his first job during the pandemic. With the huge increase in online grocery shopping, the grocery stores need personal shoppers...so that's what he's doing part time.

I laughed when you mentioned scrabble. My wife has never beaten me at scrabble. It's not that I'm very good, just that she's that bad. She had a bad day at her new temporary role at work the other day, so to try and brighten her day, I asked her if she'd like to play a game of scrabble - fully intending to let her win. I didn't know how difficult it would be to let someone win without making it obvious. Well she won, and was so happy she took a picture of the board after the game was done - task accomplished!

Stay safe & healthy Everyone!
    I actually won yesterday at scrabble .
    It's part of that "without making it obvious" thing you were talking about .

5. Likes: Firstgear (23rd April 2020)
    I guess there's an Indycar race at virtual COTA tomorrow , if anyone wants to tune in .
    I hear they've invited Lando to enter , and some are seeing him as the guy to beat .

I know , I know , it's not real , but it's what we've got right now .

Lando schooled them at virtual COTA .
    It's on YOUTUBE , if anybody cares .

It was fun to watch .

Liked 1,075 Times in 601 Posts
    I like it. I need to fix my steering wheel so I can play GP4 again.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones View Post
    I like it. I need to fix my steering wheel so I can play GP4 again.
    GP4 .
    Those were the days .
    My buddies and I used to run the upcoming tracks for the week before each race for lap time bragging rights on single lap times , and ten lappers , starting last .

It really enhanced the race coverage for me , as I found myself listening more for gear changes and braking points , and it actually improved my driving on the game .

Thanks for reminding me of that .