Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    • Are there training courses for different categories, with an exam to prove their knowledge?
    • Is there a ladder, ending up as top dog?
    • Are marshalls payed, given food and drink, gift cards or in any other way appreciated?
    • Does your country have a pool of marshalls online, where rally organisers can pick, and check availability?
    I'll try to answer with what I know of how it happens in Belgium

- There are courses for marshals, in both Flanders and Wallonia, to teach them what to do, how to handle a fire extinguisher etc. At the end there are a few tests. But from what I've heard they're very easy, as they need to be, they can not be picky with who they choose as a marshal, everyone who helps is more than welcome.
    - There's no "ladder" as you say it. However only those who followed a course and the exam can be a marshal on the stages. Many other helping hands are there for service parks, regroup, entry tickets, setting up stages etc.
    - The marshals are paid, but not much. From what I know they are getting 25 euros/day (on which no tax is to be paid, obviously) and a food package. I know some sponsor (chain of petrol stations) once gave some voucher for fuel to the marshals. Also some sponsors gave away caps, proper vests to wear etc.
    - I don't think there's any pool of marshals online here, but it's a small world, people from clubs know each other and help each other out with organizing events.

Some years ago we had huge problems in Belgium finding marshals, it seems a bit better now, but still, it's very important to take care of these people, as they are the ones keeping our sport alive. It's becoming harder to find people willing to give up their weekend for another one's pleasure.

I think the main thing is to really show marshals you appreciate them, also spectators should be aware of how important they are. If you treat them well, most will be happy to come back. Try to be creative as an organizer, think what could be interesting to them. When making up the budget for an event, you could think about them as well. If you ask an extra 20 euros entry fee for drivers, but mention that it is to take care of the marshals, they'll gladly pay it and you'll have just as many cars at the start of the event. Depending on the amount of entries and volunteers, you can do something with that. Also approaching sponsors for this could turn out well, for example for some clothing/cap/umbrella, or vouchers in case they are selling petrol/consumer goods. Maybe a stupid idea but for a winter rally giving them a bag of wood to make a little fire could be an inexpensive but nice surprise...

2. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (6th April 2020),skarderud (3rd April 2020),the sniper (3rd April 2020)
    Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    For any volunteers that need to travel for a day to get to an event a discount (or even reservation) on lodging would be nice. I've been doing timekeeping, marshal layout and instruction for both roles for years but there's no event that's within a five hour drive of my city. Normally only the organizers get rooms, but the amount of work they put in to get road permissions, coordinate volunteers, line up sponsors and placate residents and local politicians during the year more than offset that perk.

The US has a privately owned national database that's available to any organizer that wants to use it, but each rally also has a volunteer coordinator that reaches out to regular volunteers personally as well.

The Canadian events I've attended usually have a lodging discount which is nice. Over the years I've developed my own connections for lodging at rallies I frequent but when I go farther afield I'm paying the same as any tourist. Perhaps a wealthy organizer like Dritfish will have better perks but that will be for their own events on the west coast that need a nice sheen to get WRC attention.

On the plus side between rallies and my local blood bank I haven't needed to buy t-shirts for years. Volunteers usually get a shirt and some local favors from sponsors.
    Last edited by Gregor-y; 3rd April 2020 at 19:25.

Liked 1,367 Times in 710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Boyd View Post
    In the UK we have Rally Stage Team (https://www.rallystageteam.co.uk/) where marshals can sign-up to show their availability & interest in assisting on an event. The RST guys then work with the event organisers to allocate the marshals to the jobs that need covering.
    What about this one:
    https://brmc.org.uk/
    https://brmc.org.uk/grading

Is this one active?

Liked 310 Times in 167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    What about this one:
    https://brmc.org.uk/
    https://brmc.org.uk/grading

Is this one active?
    Yes, as far as I know. Think of it as social club or motor club for marshals.

The grading system they show is the MSA system which is open to everyone. You start by registering on-line and completing a set of fairly straightforward questions on how to handle some basic situations. Passing those questions gets you your basic grade and allows you to marshal on stages without supervision. You also get your MSA marshal pack with orange tabard, ID badge & whistle. There are training courses around the country throughout the year where you are shown basic masrhalling and fire fighting and can choose timekeeping, stage set-up or radio operation in addition. Passing these extra courses lets you upgrade your skills and that will be shown on your ID badge when it's replaced each year. The training levels go all the way up to International Clerk if you want to go that far. There are similar grading and training structures for scrutineers & stewards if that what you're interested in.

Rally Stage Team is a bit like an on-line dating system for marshals and event organisers.

6. Likes: Sulland (4th April 2020),the sniper (4th April 2020)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    the trouble i find is that some stage commanders tend to discriminate against some volunteer marshals, and they tend to let other stage commanders know who to it to, it has happened 3 times all on WRGB
    also
    https://www.motorsportuk.org/Resource-Centre/Marshals/ - this link does not work