Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Just had a look at the link you posted to the 1990 stage in Guisborough.
    I’ll head over on the bike and take some photos at some point.

2. Likes: the sniper (6th April 2020)
    Liked 399 Times in 247 Posts
    I’ve got a lot of time on my hands right now and this thread got me thinking about how much unique stage mileage there is in Yorkshire, if indeed Guisborough is still useable.

Using everybody’s favourite stage map website, rally-maps.com, I had a look at what last year’s Riponian and Trackrod stages used, took the length of Duncombe Park from the 2011 R.A.C. Rally from ewrc-results.com and added just short of the full length of Oliver’s Mount (does anyone know how much of the circuit tended to be used?).

The difficult part was figuring out how much unique mileage there is in Dalby, without it encroaching on Staindale. Unless I map it out on my very short WFH lunch break I can only guess - two stages of Dalby, or it could be one 25+ km one.

Here’s what I’ve got, I was actually surprised how many km there is, in a single pass of each too.

1. Duncombe Park - 3.81km
    2. Oliver’s Mount - 3.89km
    3. Guisborough - 7.34km
    4. Boltby - 5.91km
    5. Wass Moor - 6.16km
    6. Cropton - 12.96km
    7. Gale Rigg - 7.81km
    8. Langdale - 13.44km
    9. Staindale - 9.24km
    10. Dalby North - 13.43km
    11. Dalby South - 13.44km

97.07km

In reality for an international rally, it would be two passes, possibly starting with Duncombe, then Oliver’s Mount, then Guisborough (would consecutive passes be possible? To stop the cars having to come back round to the North side of the North York Moors), then on to Boltby & Wass, second pass of Duncombe and then the stages in North Riding Forest.

4. Likes: T16 (8th April 2020)
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Some more for the Yorkshire list

Newton House/ Pike Hill
    Harwood Dale
    Low North
    Broxa
    Wykeham/ Troutsdale
    Wykeham South
    Bickley/ Broad Head
    Roppa/ Cowhouse Bank/ East Moor
    Riccaldale
    Middleheads
    Duncombe Park
    Deer Park/ Sproxton Moor
    Sproxton/ Pry Rigg
    Sutton Bank
    Over Silton
    Arncliffe Wood
    Broughton Plantation
    Ingleby

Think that I have watched in all of these.

Are those all still in use/available to use? I read in the thread for last year’s R.A.C. Rally that at least Wykeham has ‘been lost’. Considering the National Breakdown/Talkland Rally up until the ‘90s used to go into 3+ hours of running I can only imagine there were much more forests available for rallying!

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    No, Most have not been used for years. Checking my maps, I am not sure about Arncliffe Wood but the others I have got routes for.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Just spotted something in my database for Bransdale moor but it would have been from before 1980.

Liked 1,529 Times in 657 Posts
    Hopefully in time me and Antti will be to add something of interest regarding Yorkshire...

Quote Originally Posted by ProSpec View Post
    Some more for the Yorkshire list

Wykeham/ Troutsdale
    Bickley/ Broad Head
    Roppa/ Cowhouse Bank/ East Moor
    Riccaldale
    Deer Park/ Sproxton Moor
    Quote Originally Posted by HKSjbg View Post
    Are those all still in use/available to use? I read in the thread for last year’s R.A.C. Rally that at least Wykeham has ‘been lost’. Considering the National Breakdown/Talkland Rally up until the ‘90s used to go into 3+ hours of running I can only imagine there were much more forests available for rallying!
    Varies. Taking some of those listed, Wykeham/Troutsdale is a near total loss, as seemingly a landslide (which I guess happened in the early 90s?) at the west end cut the track off as a through route. It's a shame as the bulk of the track is in really nice condition. This stage included a popular bowl like section on the east side, but I don't think the surface in that bit is in prime condition. Funnily enough I only went to have a look at the situation in Wykeham/Troutsdale just before the lockdown and took these photos:

Looking East towards the stage:

Looking West at the same spot:

Roppa/ Cowhouse Bank/ East Moor, Riccaldale and Deer Park/ Sproxton Moor have been used on the Riponian in recent years, though IIRC permission to use them may have been withdrawn by the owner a couple of years ago?

Bickley is another one I've walked. Parts are in really good condition, parts would very much need re-grading. A few pictures:

10. Likes: AnttiL (7th April 2020),doubled1978 (7th April 2020),T16 (8th April 2020)
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Its probably 20 years since I was last in the Yorkshire moors. Used to love that area due to the many ways into the stages. But the outbreak of Foot and Mouth changed things and i would imagine that the present Corona virus will kill even more off.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    It's interesting watching the local rally onboards to see how the old stages were (although changes always occur during decades). Here's Tour of Hamsterley 2013, using the same roads which formed the Hamsterley/County Durham Stage in the 80's/90's.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...w10rX9yzl_j5Yw

I will probably add that to rally-maps, but here are the three first stages on one map https://www.mapfab.com/map/ASDo/Tour-of-Hamsterley-2013

Grizedale, Kielder, Dalby etc. are well available on Youtube. Usually searching with the rally title and year, perhaps with the stage number (like SS01) will get you somewhere. You just need to know which stage was ran in which rally and as which stage number.

13. Likes: the sniper (8th April 2020)
    Yeah I found a few great onboards from last year’s Riponian, Gale Rigg has got to be my new favourite stage in that region - there’s a noticeable lack of hay-bale chicanes. Tom Cave & Matt Edwards also have a few good ones on their channels - Pirelli, Scottish Rally and the like.

There’s quite a lot of content of Grizedale from various channels/drivers - I just need 20 minutes to sit and watch it without interruption!

15. Likes: the sniper (8th April 2020)