Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Liked 9,258 Times in 4,912 Posts
    Now this is what I call a proper Rally GB !

https://www.ewrc-results.com/timetab...ac-rally-1985/
    #M-SPORTER

Liked 1,243 Times in 675 Posts
    Very good!! One of the best 'fantasy routes' - as its actually very workable (just need a waiver from the FiA on distances, etc)

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

3. Likes: the sniper (1st April 2020)
    Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    Anyway, this should be WRC going back to it´s roots. 1st of April or not, and new R1 regulations or not...
    Not sure if you watched the online coverage of the recent Roger Albert Clarke rally, but it made me realise what we’re missing.
    It’s ok for those to say ‘well, this IS now rallying’ but it isn’t, it really isn’t.
    Endurance was part of the essence of this great sport and it is no longer. Such a shame.
    Last edited by T16; 1st April 2020 at 15:16.

5. Likes: AndyRAC (1st April 2020),Mk2 RS2000 (2nd April 2020),Rallyper (1st April 2020),the sniper (1st April 2020)
    Liked 2,832 Times in 1,606 Posts
    Maybe AnttiL could give us his very best Rally Finland route? Or maybe you already gave us one, I don´t know?

One could do it in two ways: unrealistic or realistic with small changes in rules and also bringing back the original essence of what WRC used to be. Having said that I personally don´t think 52 stages and legs all around the clock is realistic any more. But remote service with limited resources should give organizer more space...

Just change name on this thread...
    Last edited by Rallyper; 1st April 2020 at 13:03.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

7. Likes: the sniper (1st April 2020)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Well I've designed before a Rally GB route based in Carlisle or Newcastle in order to use the Kielder and Grizedale forest stages but with the current WRC regulations.

Conversely, now me and two other route geeks are designing a Rally Finland route with the old "RAC" concept. Super specials on Sunday, then forest stages around the country for four days.

9. Likes: the sniper (1st April 2020)
    Liked 397 Times in 245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Well I've designed before a Rally GB route based in Carlisle or Newcastle in order to use the Kielder and Grizedale forest stages but with the current WRC regulations.
    Is this available to view on your website?

Quote Originally Posted by HKSjbg View Post
    Is this available to view on your website?
    No, but I posted it earlier on this forum. Here's the spreadsheet I used to design it

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...6NxaCa/pubhtml

12. Likes: AndyRAC (1st April 2020),doubled1978 (1st April 2020),the sniper (1st April 2020)
    Liked 1,243 Times in 675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    Not sure if you watched the online coverage of the recent Roger Albert Clarke rally, but it made me realise what we’re missing.
    It’s ok for those to say ‘well, this IS now rallying’ but it isn’t, it really isn’t.
    Endurance was part of the essence of this great sport and it is no longer. Such a shame.
    I enjoy the current sport for what it is now; not what it could/should be. However, it is an element that is missed. My endurance motorsport is now served by the various GT/Sportscar races which are as popular as ever, if not more so.
    In fact, Porsche have just released a film, titled 'Endurance' about the two back to back 24 Hour races from last year; Le Mans & Nurburgring; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvbkr-nXpjE

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

14. Likes: the sniper (1st April 2020)
    Liked 1,522 Times in 654 Posts
    Thanks for indulging me folks, I'm glad most people took it in the spirit it was intended. I've had that kind of itinerary in my head for a while. Having plenty of time on my hands now gave me the time to plot it all out and put it down in writing. April Fools seemed like a good opportunity to make use of it and a good prompt for some creative discussion! I'm glad it had the desired effect.

I spent an embarrassing amount of time watching various onboards from national rallies and used my own recces on foot of various forests over the years to try and establish how much of old stages on rally-maps and ewrc are still in good/usable condition. Due to this the stage lengths aren't actually completely random. The road section times seem workable, but many were admittedly just worked out using a rough idea of their methodology and Google Maps.

Is it too late to add that the RAC will also be sponsoring a five round 2021 BRC season, which I've also 'fantasy booked' in my head...?

16. Likes: AndyRAC (2nd April 2020),AnttiL (1st April 2020),NickRally (1st April 2020),Rallyper (2nd April 2020),satnav (1st April 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    I enjoy the current sport for what it is now; not what it could/should be. However, it is an element that is missed.
    I've been looking at the RAC reports posted on VHSRallies and it's crazy that the rallies used to be so long but there was so little footage or coverage. Now we can follow every second and know all little details, even if the rallies are half shorter.