Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Maybe include a stage in Guisborough again?

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    https://www.rally-maps.com/RAC-Rally-1990/Guisborough

in Northern Yorkshire.

Liked 1,529 Times in 657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    If you want more inspiration, look at the RAC 1987 maps I just digitized. Sadly the ordnance survey book was missing all the opening day park stages.

For example the Taliesin stage mentioned in this thread was included in the route. It hasn't been driven since, and the previous time has been in 1980.

https://www.rally-maps.com/RAC-Rally-1987
    Another fantastic addition, thanks Antti!

I'm a big advocate for Taliesin. The road surface is in really good condition and it's a nice, characterful stage. It's a bit like a mini Myherin. A modern version would probably be better starting/finishing along the more westerly road from the junction 2.08km from the start on your map, as that is the main track through there now and it'd mean you can get at least a 10km stage out of it. Having asked the question, there is apparently no objection to its use on the forestry side. I don't think it's been used on National rallies since the mid 2000s, ewrc seems to indicate the 2006 Plains Rally was the last stage there and Andreas Mikkelsen was quickest!

It's an idea, I haven't walked it but I get the impression it's a pretty slow, narrow stage though. I seem to remember reading an organiser (maybe Colin Heppenstall, Roger Albert Clark Rally) say that they'd never personally use Guisborough again because they had big problems with local scallies from Guisborough coming up in the night and taking down stuff they'd set up for the stage!

4. Likes: AnttiL (4th April 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
    Another fantastic addition, thanks Antti!

I'm a big advocate for Taliesin. The road surface is in really good condition and it's a nice, characterful stage. It's a bit like a mini Myherin. A modern version would probably be better starting/finishing along the more westerly road from the junction 2.08km from the start on your map, as that is the main track through there now and it'd mean you can get at least a 10km stage out of it. Having asked the question, there is apparently no objection to its use on the forestry side. I don't think it's been used on National rallies since the mid 2000s, ewrc seems to indicate the 2006 Plains Rally was the last stage there and Andreas Mikkelsen was quickest!

It's an idea, I haven't walked it but I get the impression it's a pretty slow, narrow stage though. I seem to remember reading an organiser (maybe Colin Heppenstall, Roger Albert Clark Rally) say that they'd never personally use Guisborough again because they had big problems with local scallies from Guisborough coming up in the night and taking down stuff they'd set up for the stage!
    I didn’t know the Roger Albert Clark went through Guisborough?
    I ride my bike there a lot and it’s definitely wide enough and you could get a fair few miles in there too.
    The old RAC did... an ex had lived on the estate that backs onto the forest all her life and she used to walk with her parents to watch it. It’s amazing to imagine 205T16s and S1s blasting around there back in the day.

6. Likes: the sniper (5th April 2020)
    Liked 706 Times in 333 Posts
    If you want more inspiration, look at the RAC 1987 maps I just digitized. Sadly the ordnance survey book was missing all the opening day park stages.

For example the Taliesin stage mentioned in this thread was included in the route. It hasn't been driven since, and the previous time has been in 1980.

Awesome to see those alternate routes that have been previously used, especially Wales as it’s relevant to today.
    I wish I still had the OS stage books that came with the rally pack as I would like to see where the car parks were in relation, parking always seemed to be an afterthought back then.

8. Likes: AnttiL (5th April 2020)
    I ride my bike there a lot and it’s definitely wide enough and you could get a fair few miles in there too.
    The old RAC did... an ex had lived on the estate that backs onto the forest all her life and she used to walk with her parents to watch it. It’s amazing to imagine 205T16s and S1s blasting around there back in the day.
    My database says the stage was driven 1978-1982 and 1990. Not sure though if it was included in other years in an alternate form with another title, but at least not in 1986. And in 1985 both S1's and two of the three 205T16's retired already before Yorkshire.

10. Likes: T16 (6th April 2020)
    My database says the stage was driven 1978-1982 and 1990. Not sure though if it was included in other years in an alternate form with another title, but at least not in 1986. And in 1985 both S1's and two of the three 205T16's retired already before Yorkshire.
    Interesting. So no group B in Guisborough then?... still ok to imagine it I guess. To be fair, I find it hard to be in a forest without daydreaming of a rally car flying past.
    Also, just read up a bit about group B that I didn’t know, which was that there were several ‘classes’ in it.
    Cheers for the cracking work you always do with your website and route info AnttiL, especially welcome at the moment.

12. Likes: AnttiL (5th April 2020)
    Liked 1,529 Times in 657 Posts
    That's the bit I'm not sure about! I think I saw that comment on the British Rally Forum, I'll try and find it.

Interesting. So no group B in Guisborough then?... still ok to imagine it I guess. To be fair, I find it hard to be in a forest without daydreaming of a rally car flying past.
    Also, just read up a bit about group B that I didn’t know, which was that there were several ‘classes’ in it.
    Almost certainly was used on the Mintex/National Breakdown Rally though, the opening round of the BRC. Plenty of Group B cars in that, Peugeot 205 T16 and Audi Quattro Sport on the entry list in 1986.

14. Likes: T16 (6th April 2020)
    Liked 706 Times in 333 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
    That's the bit I'm not sure about! I think I saw that comment on the British Rally Forum, I'll try and find it.

Almost certainly was used on the Mintex/National Breakdown Rally though, the opening round of the BRC. Plenty of Group B cars in that, Peugeot 205 T16 and Audi Quattro Sport on the entry list in 1986.
    I don’t recall if it was used or not in 1986 on the Mintex, but the rally was extremely snowy, lots of cancelled stages....spectators were getting stuck all over the place.

I found some of the park stage map outlines on a Top Gear Rally Report on YouTube, and managed to get the Trentham Gardens route by using old base maps https://www.old-maps.co.uk/ I also added the routes of Trentham stages of 1986 and 1991 since I wasn't able to figure them out earlier. They're still educated guesses at best since the area has changed so much, but at least better than nothing. The 1986 one, however, is probably still wrong.

https://www.rally-maps.com/RAC-Rally...entham-Gardens

17. Likes: AndyRAC (6th April 2020)