Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Yeah. I often challenge myself and try to pick the route onto the map from the onboard alone (like I did for Hamsterley above). Good fun, but hours pass easily like minutes

Liked 399 Times in 247 Posts
    If only I could do that for a living, I would happily make painstakingly complex rally stage maps through onboards 😁

This is a great Kielder onboard from Pirelli 2019. The stage is called The Forks and it has run as Bewshaugh and Broomylinn under different configuration. The first 5 min are quite technical, then it gets very fast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XiPUxfpru8

This is the route, but in reverse https://www.rally-maps.com/Pirelli-I...2018/The-Forks
    Last edited by AnttiL; 8th April 2020 at 22:48.

4. Likes: doubled1978 (9th April 2020),HKSjbg (9th April 2020),Rally Power (9th April 2020)
    Thanks, that’s my lunchtime viewing sorted!

This thread inspired me to fine-tune my design for a Carlisle-based Rally GB. At first I attempted my previously mentioned idea of moving the cars to Wales for Sunday, but the liaisons became unbearable without using remote services. I thought it would be a great idea to do Grizedale on Saturday afternoon and then just continue over to Wales, but I forgot the cars need to be serviced before that.

If only Friday would be driven in Lake District, then the drivers would have two days of driving in Wales, but that would require another long liaison to mid-Wales, which I doubt they will want to do. So in the end I ditched the idea of combining Wales and Lake District.

I even tried to make a schedule for the rally using the formula of one minute per kilometre (stage or liaison) with 5-10 minutes added to the equation. The same service and regroup times are used as on real rallies of today. I think it worked out fine and the Saturday structure is close to that of Wales Rally GB 2017 with some night stages.

The full itinerary is here and the map here

Thursday super special is Lowther (used in 1986, modified a bit).

Friday consists of a leg North with Twiglees, Craik, Redesdale, Falstone and Pundershaw. I have modified the stages to remove the most straight sections and sometimes adding some new roads.

Saturday goes to Grizedale (combined West and East stages) through Wythop and Comb. I faced again the problem of going to Grizedale and thinking "what's next", because there is very few known stages near it. Of course it would be possible to find new stages or maybe there's something I'm not aware of.
    Thus, after the first round of these three stages the cars go to Hamsterley, which is driven twice with a single run of Stang in between (this could also be a super special as well). The second run of Hamsterley is preceded by a regroup to ensure there's enough time between two runs and also to make sure the cars are in time for the televised stage. After the service the Wythop-Comb-Grizedale loop is repeated, most likely with darkness falling.

Sunday is driven at West Kielder and on Scotland's side, relatively close to the service park. I chose the Bewshaugh stage whose onboard I posted last night, but it ends after the technical section as it would suit the current cars the best. Power stage is then Newcastleton, on roads which have been a part of the Kershope stage in the 90's. The ending of the stage is shown in the other direction on this video until 1:20. It would make up great helicopter shots over the river bank. The ending would then be on tarmac here and the podium up on the hill.
    Last edited by AnttiL; 9th April 2020 at 13:22.

7. Likes: doubled1978 (9th April 2020),HKSjbg (9th April 2020),the sniper (9th April 2020),tommeke_B (9th April 2020)
    Liked 706 Times in 333 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    This thread inspired me to fine-tune my design for a Carlisle-based Rally GB. At first I attempted my previously mentioned idea of moving the cars to Wales for Sunday, but the liaisons became unbearable without using remote services. I thought it would be a great idea to do Grizedale on Saturday afternoon and then just continue over to Wales, but I forgot the cars need to be serviced before that.

If only Friday would be driven in Lake District, then the drivers would have two days of driving in Wales, but that would require another long liaison to mid-Wales, which I doubt they will want to do. So in the end I ditched the idea of combining Wales and Lake District.

I faced again the problem of going to Grizedale and thinking "what's next", because there is very few known stages near it. Of course it would be possible to find new stages or maybe there's something I'm not aware of.

I even tried to make a schedule for the rally using the formula of 1 km (stage or liaison) = 1 minute) + 5-10 min, with the same service and regroup times as on real rallies of today. I think it worked out fine and the Saturday structure is close to that of Wales Rally GB 2017 with some night stages.

The full itinerary is here and the map here

Thursday super special is Lowther (used in 1986, modified a bit).

Friday consists of a leg North with Twiglees, Craik, Redesdale, Falstone and Pundershaw. I have modified the stages to remove the most straight sections and sometimes adding some new roads.

Saturday goes to Grizedale (combined West and East stages) through Wythop and Comb. After the first round of these stages the cars go to Hamsterley, which is driven twice with a single run of Stang in between (this could also be a super special as well). The second run of Hamsterley is preceded by a regroup to ensure there's enough time between two runs and also to make sure the cars are in time for the televised stage. After the service the Wythop-Comb-Grizedale loop is repeated, most likely with darkness falling.

Sunday is driven at West Kielder and on Scotland's side, relatively close to the service park. I chose the Bewshaugh stage whose onboard I posted last night, but it ends after the technical section as it would suit the current cars the best. Power stage is then Newcastleton, on roads which have been a part of the Kershope stage in the 90's. The ending of the stage is shown in the other direction on this video until 1:20. It would make up great helicopter shots over the river bank. The ending would then be on tarmac here and the podium up on the hill.

This is awesome...would be great to go to those locations again for WRC.. you never know, someone who could make use of it might get hold of it and start a process....here’s hoping anyway!

9. Likes: AnttiL (9th April 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by doubled1978 View Post
    This is awesome...would be great to go to those locations again for WRC.. you never know, someone who could make use of it might get hold of it and start a process....here’s hoping anyway!
    Thanks! I know that the real organizers could also put together this kind of schedule (for sure a better one), but it's down to other things (coughmoneycough) to get the rally arranged.

Depends on the local tourism board I guess as ‘Wales’ is currently the sponsor of Rally GB. There’s no reason why Cumbria/Northumberland/Scottish Borders/Dumfries and Galloway wouldn’t want to promote tourism in and around the various beauty spots in that part of the world. Whether the lot of them could pool together to fund a WRC round is another matter...

Liked 706 Times in 333 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HKSjbg View Post
    Depends on the local tourism board I guess as ‘Wales’ is currently the sponsor of Rally GB. There’s no reason why Cumbria/Northumberland/Scottish Borders/Dumfries and Galloway wouldn’t want to promote tourism in and around the various beauty spots in that part of the world. Whether the lot of them could pool together to fund a WRC round is another matter...
    Of course, but sometimes it just takes the right person to see something like this, and then the wheels begin to turn. Hey it might just be something fun for us speculate about on the forum, but you never know..
    Either way it’s given me something to pour over for an afternoon in lockdown, so thanks Antti!

13. Likes: AnttiL (9th April 2020),HKSjbg (9th April 2020)
    Someone else mapped RAC 1989! https://www.rally-maps.com/RAC-Rally-1989

15. Likes: HKSjbg (9th April 2020),the sniper (9th April 2020)