Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    The Malcolm Wilson Rally uses both Comb & Hobcarton, which are in the Whinlatter Forest park; they'd probably have to run early in the morning, as the Forestry want the forest back as soon as possible.

And Yorkshire is interesting, as the amount of events allowed is drastically reduced; Dalby, Langdale, plus Cropton, and maybe the stages near Helmsley. Then you have the issue of overnight parking; would it be relaxed for RallyGB?

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

2. Likes: AnttiL (3rd April 2020)
    Liked 9,312 Times in 4,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post

EDIT: I just watched the RAC 1985 day four footage and a lot of the cars look like "saving tyres for power stage"
    Hardly, the stages were covered snow and ice and the cars had no studded tyres. Survival was about as good as was possible.
    #M-SPORTER

Liked 9,312 Times in 4,938 Posts

EDIT: I just watched the RAC 1985 day four footage and a lot of the cars look like "saving tyres for power stage"
    And on Day 5 the stages were covered snow and ice and the cars had no studded tyres. Survival was about as good as was possible.
    #M-SPORTER

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    We still have that aspect in Monte Carlo from time to time. Anyway my point was that in a long and blind rally, you cannot push to the maximum and it's not as exciting for a spectator standing on the banks.

Liked 311 Times in 168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
    You could do it that way, but the beauty of Deeside as the main service park is that from Deeside to a Grizedale East SS Start is 184km or around 2hr 10m actual driving time in clear traffic (that you'd get pre-9am on a Saturday). Deeside to a Myherin SS Start, which has been done many years, is 135km but involves around 1hr 55m of actual driving. So going North from Deeside rather than South isn't too big of a step.
    I think you need to look at your schedule agian.
    The UK Motor Vehicles (Competions and Trials) Regulations Schedule 3, Standard Condition 14 (b) (i) requires that the average speed of competitors on a motorway is less than 50 mph and on all other roads is less than 30 mph.
    I think that means it's going to take a quite a bit longer than 2h10m to get from Deeside to Grizedale.

Liked 1,529 Times in 657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Boyd View Post
    I think you need to look at your schedule agian.
    The UK Motor Vehicles (Competions and Trials) Regulations Schedule 3, Standard Condition 14 (b) (i) requires that the average speed of competitors on a motorway is less than 50 mph and on all other roads is less than 30 mph.
    I think that means it's going to take a quite a bit longer than 2h10m to get from Deeside to Grizedale.
    In my itinerary I've given 3 hours to do that. Rough average speed around 38mph I believe. As I said, what you quoted is the actual driving time in reality. If anything from Deeside the higher average speed allowed for Motorways makes Grizedale a more sensible option than Mid Wales, if Welsh funding wasn't a factor...
    Last edited by the sniper; 3rd April 2020 at 18:31.

In my itinerary I've given 3 hours to do that. Rough average speed around 38mph I believe. As I said, what you quoted is the actual driving time in reality. If anything from Deeside the higher average speed allowed for Motorways makes Grizedale a more sensible option than Mid Wales, if Welsh funding wasn't a factor...
    ...but spectator and television potential are higher in Mid Wales

Liked 1,529 Times in 657 Posts
    ...but spectator and television potential are higher in Mid Wales
    I'm not totally sure about that. The advantage of Mid Wales is the availability of far more stage millage (and variations within each forest) and perhaps the ability to manage spectator access/parking reasonably easily. Grizedale would probably be more attractive to potential spectators in the Manchester/Liverpool/North West area than Mid Wales. Television wise, what criteria are you using? The Lake District in which Grizedale lies is widely considered to be one of the most attractive parts of England.

10. Likes: AndyRAC (4th April 2020)
    I'm not totally sure about that. The advantage of Mid Wales is the availability of far more stage millage (and variations within each forest) and perhaps the ability to manage spectator access/parking reasonably easily. Grizedale would probably be more attractive to potential spectators in the Manchester/Liverpool/North West area than Mid Wales. Television wise, what criteria are you using? The Lake District in which Grizedale lies is widely considered to be one of the most attractive parts of England.
    Well, I haven't visited either location, but I have the feeling that Grizedale is slower, narrower and in a tighter forest, whereas stages like Myherin, Dyfi and Hafren have wider roads, more speed, more open areas which allow longer shots on TV. Also I suppose there wouldn't be such spectator-friendly areas with proper rally roads like Sweet Lamb.

Anyway, I'd still love to see Grizedale in a WRC event some day

12. Likes: the sniper (4th April 2020)
    If you want more inspiration, look at the RAC 1987 maps I just digitized. Sadly the ordnance survey book was missing all the opening day park stages.

For example the Taliesin stage mentioned in this thread was included in the route. It hasn't been driven since, and the previous time has been in 1980.

https://www.rally-maps.com/RAC-Rally-1987

14. Likes: the sniper (4th April 2020)