Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 787 Times in 584 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    Any idea what percentage of Williams Grand Prix Holdings the family still owns? I never followed how much they gave up with the public float, so I don't know. And I believe they recently sold off a majority stake in Williams Advanced Engineering.

Seems to be a case of selling off the family silver in order to buy food now. Sad situation. But clueless management plus nepotism tends to be a fatal combination.
    I read that the collection of historic cars is in as collateral , so it is indeed a desperate situation .

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Wow, that really is sad. I don't know anything about Michael Latifi, other than him being a successful businessman. But if he's truly committed to F1 and Williams GP (apart from paying for his son to have a race seat), maybe a change in ownership and/or management would be the saving grace for Williams - I'd say the only one.

Make Frank the Chairman Emeritus of Williams GP... and tell Claire that if she wants to enter the paddock, she has to buy a ticket like every other fan.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    The future's gonna be different alright .
    I really hope that they have got the spec of the new car right. Too many changes within season to try to force a level playiong field would be very ugly, l think.

Team Willy might end up being a Canadian team eventually , as Claire has just accepted a loan from Nicky's dad for $56million which , if defaulted , could put him in charge .

Us Canucks are taking over the series , one team at a time .
    Williams is experiencing the ugly side of F1. Once a team starts struggling with money challenges, they get in the grip of a strong cost whirlpool that puts the team in an endless struggle to stay afloat. Usually getting out of this situation is futile and usually ends in a sell out to keep the team in F1. We saw this with Force India and Sauber. Not to mention those that completely disappeared from F1.

Williams would need to make tough choices to survive and pride is not going to cut it. But the new Regulations definitely gives Williams a great chance to get out of the quogmire they have found themselves of late.

I think it is great to have at least one female team boss in the paddock, and Claire is smart, she would think through the problem and make the right decisions to keep this illustrious team in F1.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 21st May 2020 at 00:00.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Rumour has it that Renault is on the way out the door , with a so far anonymous buyer apparently putting together backing .

It's one of you guys , isn't it ?

Or ...........maybe another Canadian ?
    I read in this very thread that they are taking over .

Rumour has it that Renault is on the way out the door , with a so far anonymous buyer apparently putting together backing .

It's one of you guys , isn't it ?

Or ...........maybe another Canadian ?
    I read in this very thread that they are taking over .
    It appears the Renault group as a whole is on the verge of collapse. There are chatter of a 2.2Billion Euro cost cutting exercise going on at the minute. There is also conflicting chatter of Renault F1 talking to Bottas for 2021.

I can see Renault wanting to sell off their F1 team at this moment. Canadians seem to be buying F1 teams in a stealth takeover of the paddock. We may have another Racing Point in the making.

I offered my savings for the F1 team but they said it was not enough aww :-(.

I wonder if Latifi is thinking of doing an about turn on Williams and heading to Renault to make an offer? Team Latifi has a nice ring to it don't you think. ;-)
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 22nd May 2020 at 18:52.
    William Shakespeare

Mclaren is sacking 1200 staff across the group. The COVID-19 pandemic is beginning to take its toll on automotive businesses. There seem a desire at Mclaren to stay in F1. Who's next?
    William Shakespeare

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Looks like that represents a 25% reduction in staff. That's a very heavy cut.

I was trying to find any articles that spoke about other teams or manufacturers reducing staff. I pulled up Ferrari (symbol: RACE), but didn't see any workforce related stories there. And the job cuts that Daimler announced seem to be part of a plan from last year - though more could be coming. We all know that Renault is a steaming mess. So I wonder what's happening at McLaren?
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Negotiations are supposedly underway for a buyout for Merc , from Wolfe and Stroll .

Negotiations are supposedly underway for a buyout for Merc , from Wolfe and Stroll .
    Would Mercedes buy Renault? I suppose they might need a B Team like Redbull for their young driver program. Considering they are yet to give any of their young drivers a seat in the senior team, l really wonder. But a shared B Team between Mercedes and Aston Martin seems plausible.
    William Shakespeare

Williams put out "For Sale" signs!
    So far it is looking like two teams are going down. I would not be surprised if more follow.
    William Shakespeare