Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Mercedes’ parent Daimler have moved to quash reports they are considering exiting Formula 1, stating it is their “clear intention” to continue in the sport.

Per reports in the German media, serious discussions were taking to place to trade the Mercedes F1 team to Aston Martin owner Lawrence Stroll in return for a larger stake in his company, while team principal Toto Wolff would expand his 30% share in the team and move from an operational to an advisory role at the Silver Arrows.

In response, Daimler have released a statement rubbishing the claims.

“Speculation regarding a potential withdrawal from Formula 1 continues to be unfounded and irresponsible,” it read. “The sport has taken the right measures to address the consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic and its future financial sustainability, and we welcome these steps.

“It is our clear intention to continue competing in Formula 1 as a Mercedes-Benz works team in the years to come, and to do so with our managing partner Toto Wolff.”
    Only because Daimler is a publicly traded company do I put any stock in their response. Not that things couldn't change in the future, but if they were to do a sudden about-face, that might not be looked upon kindly by market regulators.

As for Williams, sad, but certainly not unexpected. Maybe Michael Latifi's and HSBC's debt refinancing/bailout can save them, along with whatever equity interest someone (rumored to be Latifi) may take. But it seems that the money men & debt holders will be calling the shots at Williams from now on. IMO, doing a complete management shakeup and stealing Otmar Szafnauer from Aston/Racing Point would be a good first move.

Does anyone here remember the particulars of how Tyrrell faded away, before BAR bought the team? Roughly similar to the Williams situation or not?
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    Only because Daimler is a publicly traded company do I put any stock in their response. Not that things couldn't change in the future, but if they were to do a sudden about-face, that might not be looked upon kindly by market regulators.

As for Williams, sad, but certainly not unexpected. Maybe Michael Latifi's and HSBC's debt refinancing/bailout can save them, along with whatever equity interest someone (rumored to be Latifi) may take. But it seems that the money men & debt holders will be calling the shots at Williams from now on. IMO, doing a complete management shakeup and stealing Otmar Szafnauer from Aston/Racing Point would be a good first move.

Does anyone here remember the particulars of how Tyrrell faded away, before BAR bought the team? Roughly similar to the Williams situation or not?
    Williams is still a strong F1 brand, hence , l think they would have many interested potential buyers. Yes like Tyrell, Sauber etc, the strong debt current that pulls them downwards just seems to inevitably suck them under when a financial downturn adds to their already difficult situation.

It is interesting to hear that Mercedes are adamant that they would continue in F1 with the new regulations. F1 as an advertising platform must have been very kind to Mercedes. I doubt that would be echoed by Honda. We know that Renault is potentially out of it.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 30th May 2020 at 09:31.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Yes, with so many championships over the years and so many famous drivers, the Williams brand should still be worth a lot. I hope that something good happens soon.

I continue to be concerned about Renault's future involvement. The Nissan/Renault/Mitsubishi alliance is in serious financial trouble.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    Yes, with so many championships over the years and so many famous drivers, the Williams brand should still be worth a lot. I hope that something good happens soon.

I continue to be concerned about Renault's future involvement. The Nissan/Renault/Mitsubishi alliance is in serious financial trouble.
    Apparently, the French government has approved a €5 billion euros bailout for Renault. I am not sure if that includes the F1 racing team which has a budget of around 200 million euros. There is a good chance that they would put the racing team up for sale.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 193 Times in 113 Posts
    Shooting the moon:

Haas will quit, Mercedes and Renault will leave before 2022 cuz of the economic crash, Redbull will end AlphaTauri to focus on the Jr program in Japan and european feeder series, Williams will be bought, Aston Martin will carry on with Toto and RichBoy Canada, McLaren and Ferrari will continue but they will have teams in Indy500 and probably Le Mans cuz of RoI. Alpha Romeo will exit cuz "FCA" will try to put Masseratti in Formula-e or something like that BUT I can see teams like Carlin, Campos and someone from DTM entering F1 for 2022 - 2023.

Then in 2027 F1 and Formula-e will merge. They are going to keep the "Formula 1" name but it will use electric cars...