Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts

McLaren withdraws from Australian GP

News just coming out now.

No word yet on whether the GP goes ahead but there seems to be a lot of pressure to cancel the entire event.

If they cancel the Australian GP the entire season could disappear - one race at a time.

Stay safe everyone...

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    It is all happening now! Koro
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyzars View Post
    News just coming out now.

No word yet on whether the GP goes ahead but there seems to be a lot of pressure to cancel the entire event.

If they cancel the Australian GP the entire season could disappear - one race at a time.

Stay safe everyone...
    Well if the outbreak increases, there is no alternative but to only have televised races at locations with low risk of the virus. All indications suggest that the outbreak is escalating. This may well be a televised season. You never know, other teams may well follow Mclaren out of contention. Chances are it might be a shortened season with a reduced team presence on race day for most of the races this season. I hope a vaccine can be found quickly enough to curb this outbreak.

Bear in mind that F1 is the ideal conduit to spread this virus around the globe as an international sport that courses its way through some countries with known cases of infections. The mere fact that there is a known case of an infected individual within one of the racing teams underlines this fact. The entire season is really in doubt to be honest.

Of course there are huge financial implications for this state of affairs. Venues that invested in this season are at risk of not getting any return on their investment. This l think is the greatest pressure for the show to go on.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 12th March 2020 at 16:51.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

4. Likes: truefan72 (12th March 2020)
    Liked 385 Times in 191 Posts
    Autosport allrady speculating that the race will not happen. And Brawn had commented, that without all teams it will be a non championship event. So....

Liked 788 Times in 585 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by COD View Post
    Autosport allrady speculating that the race will not happen. And Brawn had commented, that without all teams it will be a non championship event. So....
    Brawn said that it would be a problem if a team was not allowed to enter a hosting country , not if they withdrew themselves .

That said , now the NBA has shut down , and many other large events are either cancelled or running with no crowd all around the world , it seems that not even money is more important than human lives .

Today is the last moment to "pull the handbrake" as Vettel has stated .

Liked 1,068 Times in 599 Posts
    This is a bad situation all around. Has there been talk of cancelling the race?
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 643 Times in 508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones View Post
    This is a bad situation all around. Has there been talk of cancelling the race?
    Definitely! I believe it is a forgone conclusion, and a good thing, but
    Dog-blast-it !!!, I was looking forward to the start of the season!
    May the forza be with you

9. Likes: truefan72 (12th March 2020)
    Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    To be honest. I kinda saw this coming but hoped that it would not become an issue.
    But right now Australia is a hot spot for the virus and having them run the race seems like an unnecessary risk to me.
    Right after testing they should have revised the schedule and or delayed the start of the season.

I know it is a hassle for teams in terms of travel arrangements etc. but those were going to have to be changed anyway with all the restrictions etc.
    Starting the season a month later and then finding ways to compress the schedule might be the way to go. Perhaps getting some financial assistance for rescheduling etc. for the venues and the team's travel budget would have been a good thing to do from liberty media.
    As of right now, i think the GP will get cancelled and probably put on hiatus for a month
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
    I believe that there is to be a meeting in the morning between politicians, management and medicos. I would expect that the medicos will have a big say. They've already started racing on the track on Thursday with F1 practice Friday.

Obviously, in hindsight, if they were going to cancel the race then they should've done it weeks ago. If they cancel it now, they will still have a lot of people who've flown in and are going to be hanging around pub's and hotels anyway so what is to be gained by cancelling the race weekend.

If protecting the wider populace from "outsiders" bringing in the virus then they've totally missed that boat. I really can't see how cancelling the weekend would significantly reduce any outcome that isn't going to happen in some form because everyone is here already. If they're not at the track they'll be everywhere else in the city.

A lot of money has been spent and maybe individual people should be allowed to make their own decision on this. With McLaren pulling out they may swing the decision regarding F1 race points.

I will be watching on TV and don't know how I would feel if I had tickets and had flown in. Tough one. All the stakeholders will be around the table in the morning and I don't envy their positions at all.

Its going to be a difficult year.
    Last edited by Whyzars; 12th March 2020 at 16:16.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Oz GP cancelled - not announced yet.

13. Likes: truefan72 (12th March 2020),Whyzars (13th March 2020)