Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Liked 1,530 Times in 658 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii View Post
    exactly the one won,and the other won nothing.Thats where i put the line.
    Thats why they dont deserve to be at the same sentence.
    If Novikov had aimed lower, would he have won a championship?

I'm always surprised how bad a reputation Novikov has. Maybe he had the wrong mindset/hearing (!) for rallying and was never going settle down, but looking at his results in 2012, his first full season, and those of Tanak, maybe Novikov gave up (or was given up on) too soon?

Novikov went up against the likes of Tanak and Neuville in the same car, on his day he beat them. Though most days admittedly, he crashed. But I do think there's a question mark over what could have been with him.

PS, this isn't a knock against Luky, I'm a big fan. He's done what he could fund and, credit to him, hasn't given up.

2. Likes: Essaj (6th December 2020),steve.mandzij (6th December 2020)
    Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
    If Novikov had aimed lower, would he have won a championship?

I'm always surprised how bad a reputation Novikov has. Maybe he had the wrong mindset/hearing (!) for rallying and was never going settle down, but looking at his results in 2012, his first full season, and those of Tanak, maybe Novikov gave up (or was given up on) too soon?

Novikov went up against the likes of Tanak and Neuville in the same car, on his day he beat them. Though most days admittedly, he crashed. But I do think there's a question mark over what could have been with him.

PS, this isn't a knock against Luky, I'm a big fan. He's done what he could fund and, credit to him, hasn't given up.
    At that time Novikov had way more experience than Neuville and Tänak. Way way more. I have seen him at 16 driving Gr. N Impreza, destroying all estonian up and coming youngsters. Tänak was driving VW Golf or Renault Clio at that time... It's not even comparable the amount of experience Novikov had by that time.

Needless to say he lost his almost secured title to Rainer Aus by crashing heavily at the later part of Saaremaa Rally.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cali; 7th December 2020 at 11:36.

4. Likes: EstWRC (7th December 2020)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    According to Stephane Prevot, Novikov was a natural talent but didn't listen enough to pace notes

6. Likes: cali (7th December 2020),pantealex (7th December 2020)
    Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    According to Stephane Prevot, Novikov was a natural talent but didn't listen enough to pace notes
    Absolutely fully agree

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    I always felt like his pacenotes were rather useless (at least I wouldn't be able to drive according to them). Just check yourself if you could drive according to this where 90% of corners are marked as "one": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYPLVjz9LNk
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

9. Likes: cali (8th December 2020),SubaruNorway (7th December 2020),the sniper (7th December 2020)
    Liked 2,839 Times in 1,612 Posts
    Not listening to or having bad pace notes is also a part of having experience. Which obviously Novikov didn´t have.

I guess generally he was too much unmature. He should have stayed in N-category a couple of years more.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

11. Likes: cali (7th December 2020),dimviii (7th December 2020),pantealex (7th December 2020)
    Liked 1,474 Times in 573 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Prevot worded it perfectly in his book. If the RAC would run blind without notes, on the snow and on ice, Novikov and Duval would beat the opposition by minutes.

13. Likes: AnttiL (7th December 2020),cali (7th December 2020),Hartusvuori (7th December 2020),pantealex (7th December 2020),the sniper (7th December 2020)
    Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dupanton View Post
    Prevot worded it perfectly in his book. If the RAC would run blind without notes, on the snow and on ice, Novikov and Duval would beat the opposition by minutes.
    "To finish first you first need to finish"

15. Likes: cali (7th December 2020),pantealex (7th December 2020)
    Liked 2,839 Times in 1,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dupanton View Post
    However taking those words for a true, one could state several finnish and swedish ancient drivers should beat Novikov and Duval by minutes.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

17. Likes: cali (8th December 2020),pantealex (7th December 2020)