Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
At last... someone unbiased, able to apply logic and who really understands the status quo in F1. Thank you for restoring my faith in this forum!
I wholeheartedly agree with 99% of everything you have written, our views are so similar its unreal.

The only tiny thing that I might disagree on is your statement on the car being 50-60% of the equation. I'm of the opinion that it is not a fixed percentage and actually a variable percentage and more in line with just how much better the dominant car is as well as simply being quicker than your team mate.

Could all of the drivers on the grid win the WDC in a hugely dominant car? Of course not... simple maths, of any 2 drivers in a team, someone has to finish 2nd which automatically rules out half the grid.

Open ended question... Is luck just luck? I think in most cases it is... Although I guess if you are super well connected with a finger on the pulse and able to have half an insight on which team is likely to dominate, one might reasonably argue that to be a skill... It is clearly not a driver skill though, if anyone really wants to argue otherwise please do go for it... I've got some popcorn in the cupboard.

What does this 'GOAT' word I keep reading on here actually mean? Greatest what of all time?

Lets face it, until F1 is a one make series with far more equality between machinery, this constant crowing from the one winning drivers fanboy fanbase is quite frankly an embarrassment to true F1 fans... normal people who just love great wheel to wheel racing regardless of who it is.
Well as far as the car percentage, I'd have to agree that it's just "needed" at the top of the field. Until you are in that hardware, you're not winning titles.

As for the "GOAT" I've never figured that out much myself. Maybe the Greatest (Record) Of All Time, regardless of the luck of the car? Maybe the claim to be the best driver, even in inferior hardware? Maybe the person with the largest fanboy base?

I watch for the show and to appreciate all the talented drivers, along with seeing the teams efforts and the improvements in the cars. I've watched F1 far too long to think that luck isn't a big part of the equation. And sometimes the luck of lack of with certain drivers is what levels the playing field some, and when you see the better drivers really display their ability, even when in a lesser car.

I also feel that people take it over the top in making any of these guys superhuman when they win.