Liked 660 Times in 460 Posts

Yas Marina 2019 - Abu Dhabi

We are off to the final race of the season at Abu Dhabi. A stunning track to look at, and even wilder as it transitions to the dark of night. This track demands handling, and all the power in the world won't overcome a poor handling car. Mercedes have dominated here the last several years, and Lewis has multiple wins. Seb has three wins of his own in the RB, and Bottas and Kimi have scored a win each.

And even though the powers that be have ended grid girls, Yas Marina had them too!

Qually is over, but I'm not going to post any spoilers!

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Great post Airshifter. I have been traveling for work recently, hence l have not had the chance to make any posts. But we go into the last race of the season with the redbull drivers coming into this race after aquitting themselves handsomely at the previous race in Brazil. Alex Albon drove a brilliant Brazillian GP until he left the door wide open to Hamilton that resulted in a crash that denied him of his first podium of his 2019 season. Up to that moment, one would have argued that the second seat at Redbull was unquestionably his for 2020 until the unceremoniously demoted Pierre Gasly shined brilliantly beating off a fierce fight from a wounded Mercedes under Lewis Hamilton.

For the 2002 season, Redbull are left with an enviable problem of choosing a driver to partner Verstapenn in 2020 and possibly thereafter from two outstanding drivers in Pierre Gasly and Alex Albon. This one is not going to be an easy decision.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 30th November 2019 at 20:57.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

What about the closing fight for 5th between Renault and Torro Rosso? Torro Rosso that has given Gasly his first drive in F1 and were there to catch him when the bottom fell out of his Redbull chances, were handsomely reward by him with a second place at the Brazilian GP. A reward that has brought Torro Rosso within 8 points of Renault in 5th with one race to go.

Abu Dhabi seems to be a decider for a few very close battles. Sainz must finish ahead of Gasly to be sixth in the driver championship. Both of them being 9 points ahead of a fast closing Albon in the Redbull. Albon is likely to finish ahead of these two but Gasly must finish this race ahead of Sainz for a chance to finish within the top seven. The same argument applies to Sainz of course.

At least one Renault car must finish ahead of both Torro rosso to allow Renault to secure 5th in the constructors championship. This of course would be to save face as they fall short of their aspiration of 4th in 2019. Lower would be an embarrassment but not necessarily a disaster.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 3rd December 2019 at 16:50.
    William Shakespeare

We get the biggest hint yet from Ferrari that would suggest a Ferrari-Hamilton pairing may be a reality in 2021. We have heard murmurs and rumours of a Ferrari move for Hamilton. Binotto made it a clear indication that there may be some truth in these rumours. But would Hamilton want to go to Ferrari with their current operational deficiencies?

Can Mercedes withstand the ever growing challenges to their long standing supremacy in F1 from an ever improving Ferrari and Redbull powered by a Honda engine? Is Honda going to stay in F1 after the 2020 season?
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 2nd December 2019 at 14:19.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Great post Airshifter. I have been traveling for work recently, hence l have not had the chance to make any posts. But we go into the last race of the season with the redbull drivers coming into this race after aquitting themselves handsomely at the previous race in Brazil. Alex Albon drove a brilliant Brazillian GP until he left the door wide open to Hamilton that resulted in a crash that denied him of his first podium of his 2019 season. Up to that moment, one would have argued that the second seat at Redbull was unquestionably his for 2020 until the unceremoniously demoted Pierre Gasly shined brilliantly beating off a fierce fight from a wounded Mercedes under Lewis Hamilton.

For the 2002 season, Redbull are left with an enviable problem of choosing a driver to partner Verstapenn in 2020 and possibly thereafter from two outstanding drivers in Pierre Gasly and Alex Albon. This one is not going to be an easy decision.
    I figured you've been busy or something, and since nobody else was doing it, I had to start race threads. I was a bit more lazy on them than you are, but at least there was a thread.

As for Albon.... even Lewis admitted that was his fault. It was a lost cause to try to keep defending, but that doesn't make it right for the faster car and driver to get overly aggressive either.

But there are a lot of fights still going on. Even though Yas Marina doesn't give us much on track action, strategies and such will still play a hand in how the season wraps up!

Liked 1,053 Times in 594 Posts
    I hate this track and wish it would go away.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones View Post
    I hate this track and wish it would go away.
    I think it’ll produce good racing with 2021 regs. Shite track though. Middle of the desert and they could have designed an amazing race track. They could have done anything, Instead they produced this yoke. Turns 2 and 3 are the only corners worth talking about.

Liked 1,053 Times in 594 Posts
    I hate the track overall. I think they put in the long straight just to say they have the longest straight in F1. It's a joke. I also do not like how TV commentators gush about the surroundings, like that stupid building that changes colors. I am here for the race, not the non-track features!
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Overall I've disliked this track, but this race seemed to have more action than most at this circuit. The DRS issue showed just how much harder it is to pass on this track without it being enabled.

I just wish they would widen some corners so they could race through them. It's a breathtakingly beautiful track to look at, but without some action on track that doesn't do much for most of us.