Page 70 of 72 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 LastLast
    Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts
    "It is clear that this is not a victory like the others," said Sébastien Ogier at the microphone of Olivier Gaspard, RTBF's special envoy to Mexico. For me, this rally should not have taken place , I was unfortunately one of the only ones to push in this direction before the start. Despite everything, I tried to do the job and to concentrate on the race, but protecting human lives, that comes first , and of course before the rally. I hope that coming, we will not cause any additional problems here. For me, the priority now is to get home as soon as possible and take care mine in these difficult times. Hopefully the critical situation the world is going through will improve as soon as possible. After that, we will go back to rallying as soon as possible. "

https://www.rtbf.be/sport/moteurs/ra...eu?id=10457982

what kind of issues?

Elfyn Evans
    @ElfynEvans
    Not an easy weekend @RallyMexico
    but 4th place after opening the road all of yesterday is not so bad. Felt I drove pretty well up to lunchtime today but we had some issues and I just couldn’t take the fight to Ott. Yaris WRC felt good for our first rally on gravel @TGR_WRC
    #EE33

Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    Yaris has had many issues that need roadside repairs and aren`t made public. Probably something we will never know like before.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Both Evans and Suninen had brake issues on the afternoon loop. Elfyn said he lost all brakes towards the end of Derramadero and Suninen had only three brakes on the super specials (already earlier?).

Good podium from Suninen, another solid top5 result from Rovanperä which could have been a podium without the puncture.

Ogier and Tänak showing that they have found confidence in their new cars, but at least Tänak not as dominant as in Toyota.

And another "what could have been" for Neuville, but we must remember that motorsport needs combined performance of driver and vehicle. Both of them must succeed.

5. Likes: KKS (15th March 2020)
    Liked 483 Times in 185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Ogier and Tänak showing that they have found confidence in their new cars, but at least Tänak not as dominant as in Toyota.
    Agree with Ogier but for Tänak, based on what he said many times during the rally, it isn’t true.

He said he can only drive on a comfortable level and can’t push.

Liked 160 Times in 51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Ott's pace was very good considering it's still early days for him at Hyundai. Taking that into account and the by now notorious difficulty to get accustomed to an i20, it's quite impressive actually. Plus it's only a bit over a month since he had the mother and father of shunts of all time.

But about the showing confidence thing...he didn't exactly exude confidence in his car during the rally. And I'm not only talking about stage end interviews, but in certain type of sharp corners, to my eye he was visibly struggling and "hesitating" on the stages. Difficult to describe, but at times the driving looked a bit forced. Not in a huge way, but enough to prevent him from going into domination mode like with Yaris. In contrast, Seb looked serene, relaxed and completely in control all weekend. But then again, he always tends to be in Mexico...no matter if he drives the yardstick of the series or an utter shitbox, makes no difference.

8. Likes: AnttiL (15th March 2020),cali (15th March 2020),EstWRC (15th March 2020),Mintexmemory (15th March 2020)

Liked 1,878 Times in 734 Posts
    Evans lost a brake duct at the front
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

Liked 160 Times in 51 Posts
    Three completely different events, three times three Yarises in top 5. Not the reliability record many were probably expecting after 2019. Definitely not from the car, nor from Rovanperä for that matter, who honestly was quite crash-happy with the Skoda in 2019. Ironically, it seems like Yaris has now become a bulletproof tank and Hyundai's reliability is looking increasingly suspect, especially after a rather disastrous and embarassing Mexico. Not counting Latvala's private drive in Sweden, last major car related failure/problem was Tänak in Turkey last September?

Now in Mexico, on one of the first stages Ogier hit a cliff face hard on the inside of the corner, with the wheel turned open (I think), which usually spells disaster. But the Yaris took the impact like nothing happened at all, I was amazed.

I know it's still a bit early days for conclusions, but given especially how Mexico has pretty much been a disaster for Toyota in previous years, it does start to seem like the tide has finally turned. Given the speed of the car, this is very bad news for the opposition. Of course, if we still get some more WRC rallies in 2020, that is.

13. Likes: AnttiL (15th March 2020),pantealex (15th March 2020)