Page 71 of 72 FirstFirst ... 216169707172 LastLast
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiK7 View Post
    Ott's pace was very good considering it's still early days for him at Hyundai. Taking that into account and the by now notorious difficulty to get accustomed to an i20, it's quite impressive actually. Plus it's only a bit over a month since he had the mother and father of shunts of all time.

But about the showing confidence thing...he didn't exactly exude confidence in his car during the rally. And I'm not only talking about stage end interviews, but in certain type of sharp corners, to my eye he was visibly struggling and "hesitating" on the stages. Difficult to describe, but at times the driving looked a bit forced. Not in a huge way, but enough to prevent him from going into domination mode like with Yaris. In contrast, Seb looked serene, relaxed and completely in control all weekend. But then again, he always tends to be in Mexico...no matter if he drives the yardstick of the series or an utter shitbox, makes no difference.
    You are correct. I should have used the word "pace" instead of "confidence". I also marked Tänak's comments about not being comfortable during the weekend.

Tänak's quote from the press conference

It has been a very demanding weekend. I would say I haven’t felt completely confident to push in the stages. I have been trying to approach in a way to stay out of trouble. Friday morning proved already that there is no way we were going to make it through by pushing. The car is definitely fast. It has a lot of potential but there are many things which I need to learn and some things quite specific. I am sure we have a lot of work to do and, finally, we have some experience on gravel.
    https://www.fia.com/news/wrc-s-ogier...nge-every-time

Liked 591 Times in 314 Posts
    also tanak:

Rally México 2020 - End of the rally

����
    I am pleased to add another second place to my results for Hyundai Motorsport.
    I feel that I have pushed as hard as I could this weekend, my first proper gravel rally with the team and in the Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC.
    We had the performance to win this weekend; the incident on Friday morning was my mistake, and I accept full blame for that.
    We then just tried to get the most out of the rest of the event, and could slowly, slowly make up time and positions.
    It’s been a demanding event for many reasons, and mentally quite tough, but we have another podium to our name, which is good.
    Stay safe everyone and take care of your loved ones during these difficult times, I really hope that it will be over soon!
    Ott

Liked 544 Times in 302 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiK7 View Post
    Ironically, it seems like Yaris has now become a bulletproof tank and Hyundai's reliability is looking increasingly suspect, especially after a rather disastrous and embarassing Mexico. Not counting Latvala's private drive in Sweden, last major car related failure/problem was Tänak in Turkey last September?
    The Yaris seems a lot better now. We shall see with Hyundai, for what I remember they've had technical issues in Mexico every year since the new regulations but have looked solid elsewhere (Mexico is still a specific event). Toyota have at least gotten over their problems here, while it's obvious Hyundai haven't.

Liked 1,529 Times in 657 Posts
    Headline rather misleading here "SOMBER OGIER APOLOGIZES FOR POTENTIAL ‘HARM’ FROM RALLY": https://www.dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/o...ly-mexico-win/

“A victory is a victory of course but this one feels completely different to any others because for me this rally should have not happened,” he said.

“For me, protecting human life should go first and I hope we didn’t bring any harm here to the Mexican people.

He actually says: “At least I want to apologize to them that I couldn’t spend time and give autographs and pictures like every year."

Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
    Martín Suriani who was leading the RC5 class most of the race, have abandoned after SS13 because an accident while they were going to SS14.

The young guy did it really well, and he said there could be good news coming from Renault Sport soon.

Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts
    when Solberg broke the sump
    https://twitter.com/OliverSolberg01/...28607904227328

Suninen moment catch

Last edited by dimviii; 16th March 2020 at 08:18.

8. Likes: gorganl2000 (16th March 2020),MarkT (16th March 2020),pantealex (16th March 2020),Rallyper (16th March 2020),the sniper (17th March 2020)
    Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
    Headline rather misleading here "SOMBER OGIER APOLOGIZES FOR POTENTIAL ‘HARM’ FROM RALLY": https://www.dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/o...ly-mexico-win/

“A victory is a victory of course but this one feels completely different to any others because for me this rally should have not happened,” he said.

“For me, protecting human life should go first and I hope we didn’t bring any harm here to the Mexican people.

He actually says: “At least I want to apologize to them that I couldn’t spend time and give autographs and pictures like every year."
    I wonder if he would have said the same if he wasn't if he wasn't in the lead.

Its very convenient for him to stop the rally right there.

At least he said it already before the rally.

11. Likes: cali (16th March 2020),dimviii (16th March 2020),Mintexmemory (16th March 2020),pantealex (16th March 2020),T16 (16th March 2020)
    Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    I wonder if he would have said the same if he wasn't if he wasn't in the lead.

Its very convenient for him to stop the rally right there.
    Ogier, like Hamilton, has nothing to prove and a status that goes beyond a wannabe. Chapeau!
    Kris Meeke got fired -PSG so terrified they quit!