Page 92 of 130 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC future

Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    First of all, I'm quite sure the manufacturers have their voice in the meetings when new regulations are thought up.

Also, this Hyundai thing is fairly new. Earlier this year Adamo spoke positively about the new rules https://dirtfish.com/motorsport/wrc-...has-ever-seen/

Also interesting quote from him:

If someone at the top of Hyundai (the car company, not the rally team) decides that they are not supporting rallying anymore, it doesn't matter if they should be driving Rally1, Rally2 or Rally5 cars.
    If the manufacturers (and I assume you mean non-current entrants) have their voice heard, then where are they all? And why seemingly have the FIA come up with a set of regulations that only Toyota seem to want to commit to now?

Also, it's completely irrelevant if the Hyundai thing is new or not. It's up to them if they change their mind and up to them when they change it (if that's what they are going to do).

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Hyundai have been in on the LMDh discussions for a while - it's only recently the WRC media have known about it.

While there is a great deal of uncertainty for all motorsport, as usual the WRC is looking like it might be the worst hit; Toyota and M-Sport - with Hyundai possibly off and nobody else. Not the basis for a sustainable series going forward.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

3. Likes: T16 (31st October 2020)
    Liked 65 Times in 46 Posts
    Good, the wrc can go back to like the old days 40 plus years ago. If the local driver turned up in a Ford he had built in his own shed turned up at a WRC event, he could score points for Ford and himself.

5. Likes: cali (31st October 2020),T16 (31st October 2020)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    If the manufacturers (and I assume you mean non-current entrants) have their voice heard, then where are they all? And why seemingly have the FIA come up with a set of regulations that only Toyota seem to want to commit to now?
    No, it's the current manufacturers that get in the FIA meetings. I also remember that in 2018 or so Skoda also got the invite to the meetings, and that raised a rumor of them startin a WRC plan (who knows, maybe they had that plan back then but then something in economy changed).

As for new manufacturers, again we can only guess but I would assume mr. Matton and the manufacturer would have a phone call or something before planning anything?

Also, it's completely irrelevant if the Hyundai thing is new or not. It's up to them if they change their mind and up to them when they change it (if that's what they are going to do).
    Not completely irrelevant. All the current manufacturers had agreed on the new rules, but now all of a sudden someone at Hyundai decided otherwise. Thus the rules are not to blame.

7. Likes: Allez Andruet (31st October 2020)
    Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    No, it's the current manufacturers that get in the FIA meetings. I also remember that in 2018 or so Skoda also got the invite to the meetings, and that raised a rumor of them startin a WRC plan (who knows, maybe they had that plan back then but then something in economy changed).

As for new manufacturers, again we can only guess but I would assume mr. Matton and the manufacturer would have a phone call or something before planning anything?

Not completely irrelevant. All the current manufacturers had agreed on the new rules, but now all of a sudden someone at Hyundai decided otherwise. Thus the rules are not to blame.
    The uncertain element remains if the new regs were designed to appease those currently involved, or with the input of new potential entrants. Either way, they don’t look like they are enticing anyone, apart from a Cumbrian that runs his business of the back of involvement in the sport and a Japanese guy who’s passion it is.
    And you know what I mean about Hyundai, I’m not saying it’s the rules to blame, I’m saying it’s irrelevant if they showed interest in the past and now they don’t. Fact is, it’s looking like they are not interested anymore.

Liked 591 Times in 314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    The uncertain element remains if the new regs were designed to appease those currently involved, or with the input of new potential entrants. Either way, they don’t look like they are enticing anyone, apart from a Cumbrian that runs his business of the back of involvement in the sport and a Japanese guy who’s passion it is.
    And you know what I mean about Hyundai, I’m not saying it’s the rules to blame, I’m saying it’s irrelevant if they showed interest in the past and now they don’t. Fact is, it’s looking like they are not interested anymore.
    there are technical time tough, u can't change a reg a year because some manus change their mind in months time...

Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    I beg to disagree here, I would claim the difference between Rally1 and Rally2 cars doesn't make that much of a difference in a yearly budget of a WRC team. It's more dramatic for privateers.
    But if the top level of the sport is more accessible to privateers that’s a good thing right? Especially at a time when direct manufacturer backing is more shaky.

Let's assume a season with Rally1 costs 100 money units for a manufacturer and the same season with Rally2 costs 75 money units. Do they invest the 75 in something they don't want/need to promote (ICE's, car models without hybrid), or 100 in something they do want to promote (hybrids, street models with hybrids)?
    The proposals are for mild hybrid systems to be introduced to Rally2 cars from 2023. I’m sure that could be brought forward a year without too much trouble.

11. Likes: Rally Power (1st November 2020)
    Liked 11,149 Times in 4,425 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    The proposals are for mild hybrid systems to be introduced to Rally2 cars from 2023. I’m sure that could be brought forward a year without too much trouble.
    Manufacturers are not interested in mild hybrid as the top class.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

13. Likes: pantealex (1st November 2020)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Manufacturers are not interested in mild hybrid as the top class.
    And the Rally2 models don’t have hybrid street versions

Liked 212 Times in 133 Posts
    And the Rally2 models don’t have hybrid street versions
    AFAIK the Fiesta already has a hybrid version and the I20 will soon have one aswell.

The Fabia Im not sure about but that model has been left in a limbo by VAG group for some years now.

16. Likes: Rally Power (1st November 2020)