Page 90 of 130 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC future

Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    I think we must be ready to give away some aspects of the sport we have now with the current cars in order to save the series. There's only bad choices, and we must choose the least bad.

Where do you get the impression that Rally1 cars will be slower than Rally2 cars?
    Yeah - agreed that we seemingly only have bad choices now. I was questioning where in the thread there was a consensus that the new format was going to be 'better and cheaper' according to Wyler. I thought the new Rally1 would be more expensive, especially with the hybrid element.

I'm not sure where I said I thought Rally1 would be slower that Rally2 - I must have got my words mixed up if I did.

On a side note: I didn't realise the implications of s space framed chassis, i.e. that it may allow for more entrants and potentially cheaper costs.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    MSport and Citroen (the C3 continues to be developed at Versailles and it's Citroen who's paying PHSport to run Ostberg) are already running Rally2 cars, Toyota is developing the Yaris and Hyundai and Skoda would get the perfect chance to promote their new models ('21 i20 and '22 Fabia), at least on a semi-official way (supporting top private teams).
    This sounds like a lot of petrolhead logic. It feels like I'm talking to walls, but I'm repeating my points which I've already said in previous posts.
    - Developing, renting and selling Rally2 cars is business of the racing departments, which doesn't require budget from the manufacturer, like running a whole WRC season would
    - The drivers in WRC2 teams are mostly bringing budget in, not being paid by the manufacturer (not sure about Østberg though)
    - Skoda and Citroen just quit their factory teams in rallying. What makes you believe they would return?
    - I don't believe that the manufacturers want to put money in marketing their ICE cars in rallying
    - Even if we slap on hybrid systems onto the Rally2 cars, it's a problem for the manufacturers that the street models of these cars are mostly not hybrid.

Btw, let me ask you the other way around: do you really believe that it's viable to start Rally1 Hybrids with only 2 manus involved?
    No, it doesn't sound good, but 2 is more than 1 or 0.

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    - Skoda and Citroen just quit their factory teams in rallying. What makes you believe they would return?
    At this moment it looks like Škoda withdrew even from its home national championship here in Czechia for 2021. It's said it would only support privateers.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

4. Likes: AnttiL (30th October 2020)
    Liked 591 Times in 314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    Yeah - agreed that we seemingly only have bad choices now. I was questioning where in the thread there was a consensus that the new format was going to be 'better and cheaper' according to Wyler. I thought the new Rally1 would be more expensive, especially with the hybrid element.

I'm not sure where I said I thought Rally1 would be slower that Rally2 - I must have got my words mixed up if I did.

On a side note: I didn't realise the implications of s space framed chassis, i.e. that it may allow for more entrants and potentially cheaper costs.
    Never said there was consensus, just saying we are reflecting on this, as Fia and manus are doing. How to make rally1 better and cheaper. Every idea is good, if about rally1 specs. I just "ruled out" bringing rally2 as top class cause doensn't seem the way thing's are going in the button room, we discussed it already a lot here, and -simply- the topic was about rally1 class.
    By the way: if we talk about pumping rally2 with power, aero &performance, we are basically talk about rally1, a different thing than rally2.
    Agreed on space frame chassis, one of the viable idea people is discussing! : )

6. Likes: T16 (31st October 2020)

WRC future

Quote Originally Posted by wyler View Post
    By the way: if we talk about pumping rally2 with power, aero &performance, we are basically talk about rally1, a different thing than rally2.
    Rally1 will have a hybrid system, space frame construction, common safety cage and GRE engine. The body shell can be scaled down. These are the major conceptual differences to Rally2, which is modified from a production car.

However, the cost and performance of a pumped-up Rally2 car could be close to a Rally1 car. Lots of unknowns.

8. Likes: T16 (31st October 2020)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    This sounds like a lot of petrolhead logic. It feels like I'm talking to walls, but I'm repeating my points which I've already said in previous posts.
    - Developing, renting and selling Rally2 cars is business of the racing departments, which doesn't require budget from the manufacturer, like running a whole WRC season would
    - The drivers in WRC2 teams are mostly bringing budget in, not being paid by the manufacturer (not sure about Østberg though)
    - I don't believe that the manufacturers want to put money in marketing their ICE cars in rallying
    - Even if we slap on hybrid systems onto the Rally2 cars, it's a problem for the manufacturers that the street models of these cars are mostly not hybrid.
    Sorry mate, but you're missing the most important point: motorsport budgets are being slashed by the manus and each series must make overall costs more competitive and attractive.

For sure some expenses (staff, logistics, consumable) will cost more or less the same no matter what car is used, but the development and running costs (way higher than drivers salaries) are directly linked to the tech level of the cars.

High-tech Rally1 cars costing over €600k (their hybrid system alone was priced around 150k) will certainly make manus think twice when compared to Rally2 cars price (largely below 300k).

Btw, mild hybrids are becoming current in any car segment.
    Rally addict since 1982

Liked 591 Times in 314 Posts
    Rally1 will have a hybrid system, space frame construction, common safety cage and GRE engine. The body shell can be scaled down. These are the major conceptual differences to Rally2, which is modified from a production car.

However, the cost and performance of a pumped-up Rally2 car could be close to a Rally1 car. Lots of unknowns.
    exactly. what's the point in evolving rally2 in something (current) rally1-ish?

The point is get a better and cheaper rally1... (that was only for T16!)

11. Likes: AnttiL (30th October 2020),pantealex (31st October 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    Sorry mate, but you're missing the most important point: motorsport budgets are being slashed by the manus and each series must make overall costs more competitive and attractive.

For sure some expenses (staff, logistics, consumable) will cost more or less the same no matter what car is used, but the development and running costs (way higher than drivers salaries) are directly linked to the tech level of the cars.

High-tech Rally1 cars costing over €600k (their hybrid system alone was priced around 150k) will certainly make manus think twice when compared to Rally2 cars price (largely below 300k).
    I beg to disagree here, I would claim the difference between Rally1 and Rally2 cars doesn't make that much of a difference in a yearly budget of a WRC team. It's more dramatic for privateers.

A tyre, a liter of gasoline, a night at a hotel, a flight, monthly salary of an employee, headquarters, service park buildings, a day of testing - everything costs the same, no matter if it's WRC or R1 car.

Let's assume a season with Rally1 costs 100 money units for a manufacturer and the same season with Rally2 costs 75 money units. Do they invest the 75 in something they don't want/need to promote (ICE's, car models without hybrid), or 100 in something they do want to promote (hybrids, street models with hybrids)?
    Last edited by AnttiL; 30th October 2020 at 21:29.

Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    This... ...is how you do marketing for electric cars.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T09H-qkKiBI
    The two top Ford Mustang Mach E 1400 vids have 6.9 mil views in total:

https://youtu.be/4-7jBLqSlzg

What you posted is just an enlarged version of a road-side board and clearly doesn't have large ambitions. Even more funny that it's using pictures from motorsport to promote the car.

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    The two top Ford Mustang Mach E 1400 vids have 6.9 mil views in total:

https://youtu.be/4-7jBLqSlzg

What you posted is just an enlarged version of a road-side board and clearly doesn't have large ambitions. Even more funny that it's using pictures from motorsport to promote the car.
    That event was not about the youtube video but about the event in Abu Dhabi... Think about it please, far far majority of youtube views are from teenagers and schoolchildren who are in no way customers for Taycan. The people living in or visiting Abu Dhabi definitely are.
    Last edited by Mirek; 30th October 2020 at 22:14.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

15. Likes: pantealex (31st October 2020)