Page 86 of 130 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC future

Liked 2,832 Times in 1,606 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    Yeah...., in s2000 Skoda's that were banging, popping and screaming. They could be heard miles away in a forest.

The noise is so important in rallying, at least to me. It adds a lot to the spectacle besides the speed and driver ability.

I don't think it's a coincidence the IRC was so huge during the peak S2000 years, and seriously scaring and rivaling the WRC..., or that the WRC is now so popular and attendances are rising everywhere..., with the 17 cars sounding so impressive.

The R5s can be driven well but they just don't sound exciting. It takes away from their spectacle..., which is an already big drop in terms of raw speed and performance from the current top class.
    Shouldn´t be rocket science to get the R5´s to sound more.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

2. Likes: cali (28th October 2020),pantealex (28th October 2020),RS (29th October 2020),Sulland (28th October 2020)
    Liked 9,258 Times in 4,912 Posts
    I have said for years that the car noise is at least 50% of the spectacle of rally. I'm sure most peoples first impression of a rally car live is the roar that you hear well before you see it, building the anticipation and excitement.

It's also why I pestered WRC+ for a no-commentary option.

As for the future (electric) cars, noise will be necessary for safety and Paddon has confirmed his EV car will have it no problem.

Liked 3,271 Times in 1,722 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    That's actually funny since nowadays most touring heavy metal bands use digital modeling devices like Fractal Axe-FX to shape their sound, and there might not be a single guitar speaker cabinet on stage, all sound to the guitarist coming only from the in-ear-monitors sorry OT
    I don't know what this Fractal Axe-FX is, but I'm sure those heavy metal bands still sound loud!
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

5. Likes: pantealex (28th October 2020)
    Liked 1,367 Times in 710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    It's also why I pestered WRC+ for a no-commentary option.
    Amen

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarek Z View Post
    I don't know what this Fractal Axe-FX is, but I'm sure those heavy metal bands still sound loud!
    I'd say the discussion with tube amps against digital modeling devices has been, for the past 20 years, quite similar as ICE's against EV's in rallying, but it seems that the future has been finally adpoted in music production, let's see how it turns out in motorsport. (and yes, amplifiers are still used in the PA system to make the audience hear the band). Sorry OT again, but it's a sort of similar debate.

For me noise is not that important, competition is number one, and visual of the performance more important than the sound.

I'm sure there's people who think motorsport is nothing compared to horse races because you don't have the right smells

8. Likes: Jarek Z (28th October 2020)
    Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    This... ...is how you do marketing for electric cars.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T09H-qkKiBI
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

10. Likes: pantealex (30th October 2020)
    Liked 1,090 Times in 488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    This... ...is how you do marketing for electric cars.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T09H-qkKiBI
    That's how you do marketing. But the main thing you come away with is 'There's a new Porsche'.
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

Liked 833 Times in 405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingTuga View Post
    Seeing top drivers on it would bring the spectacle. Remember Ogier and Mikkelsen on the Skoda's
    R5s sound really terrible... When I went to Rally Argentina I found the Maxi Rally cars to be far more exciting to watch because of the sound.

Additionally, R5s are meant to be driven cleanly and neatly, so it would 100% play against more aggressive drivers to go down that route.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.mandzij View Post

Additionally, R5s are meant to be driven cleanly and neatly, so it would 100% play against more aggressive drivers to go down that route.
    Rally2 cars aren't as durable as WRC's so it would require a more cautious approach to get to the finish. Technical and mechanical failures, suspension collapsing or driveshafts snapping would be more common. It would change the nature of the sport.

14. Likes: pantealex (30th October 2020)
    Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Rally2 cars aren't as durable as WRC's so it would require a more cautious approach to get to the finish. Technical and mechanical failures, suspension collapsing or driveshafts snapping would be more common. It would change the nature of the sport.
    AnttiL, you keep suggesting that the current Rally2 cars aren’t up to the job of a power increase etc, but couldn’t they just beef everything (suspension / shafts etc) up a little, so the cars can handle more power / harder driving etc?