Page 49 of 130 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC future

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cali View Post
    I even have zero intentions of buying a Toyota ever and still watch rallying
    But on a serious note while reliable Toyota makes really boring cars for my liking
    +1

(HJ 80/100 with 4.2 TD or V8 and Celica4wd/Supra is/was good ToyOta)
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

2. Likes: cali (27th April 2020)
    Liked 2,839 Times in 1,612 Posts
    I remember going from GrB to GrA in 1987.

First I thought this will be boooring. But lost interest? Nope.

And it wasn´t boring. Exciting as ever, and we all know what developments came out...
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

4. Likes: pantealex (27th April 2020),skarderud (27th April 2020),T16 (27th April 2020)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    I remember going from GrB to GrA in 1987.

First I thought this will be boooring. But lost interest? Nope.

And it wasn´t boring. Exciting as ever, and we all know what developments came out...
    The change between 1987 and 1986 would be the same as going to R2/Rally4 cars for next year.

https://www.dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/t...an-fancy-cars/

This Tänak interview is weird. He says he wants to bring the costs down but isn't ready to let go of any of the things which make up the cost (engine, transmission, aero, performance) and still talks about adding hybrid and space frame or reducing weight, which won't be free...

Liked 217 Times in 113 Posts
    No body likes change , that's normal but looking back as Rallyper says , the change from GrB to GrA was a dramatic one that kept evolving after that the next big one was from 2 liter to 1600 , change is always frowned on but it is usually for the better.

7. Likes: pantealex (27th April 2020),Rallyper (27th April 2020)
    Liked 713 Times in 337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by satnav View Post
    No body likes change , that's normal but looking back as Rallyper says , the change from GrB to GrA was a dramatic one that kept evolving after that the next big one was from 2 liter to 1600 , change is always frowned on but it is usually for the better.
    Group B to Group A was initially bad, but became great over the next couple of years. 1987 itself was pretty rubbish with the cars etc, but most of that was because of the sudden end to Group B, if 1987 had allowed Group B cars with reduced power/better safety and then gone Group A in 1988 it would have been a better transition with more decent cars ready to compete.
    From 2.0 to 1.6 I actually thought was better, the cars sounded better as they revved higher and they didn’t look any slower to watch. We only had Ford and Citroen anyway, so we didn’t lose any manufactures and by the end of that year the Mini was running, with Hyundai and VW in the wings...
    I think others have said before on here, new regs are a good time for new companies to enter as they don’t have to compete against teams who have used the same regulations for some time already, everyone has learning to do.

9. Likes: skarderud (27th April 2020)
    Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doubled1978 View Post
    Group B to Group A was initially bad, but became great over the next couple of years. 1987 itself was pretty rubbish with the cars etc, but most of that was because of the sudden end to Group B, if 1987 had allowed Group B cars with reduced power/better safety and then gone Group A in 1988 it would have been a better transition with more decent cars ready to compete.
    From 2.0 to 1.6 I actually thought was better, the cars sounded better as they revved higher and they didn’t look any slower to watch. We only had Ford and Citroen anyway, so we didn’t lose any manufactures and by the end of that year the Mini was running, with Hyundai and VW in the wings...
    I think others have said before on here, new regs are a good time for new companies to enter as they don’t have to compete against teams who have used the same regulations for some time already, everyone has learning to do.

Agreed! Hopefully it will encourage more manufacturer interest too.
    Shame that some 'fans' say they / others will walk away even before a reg change has taken effect. I guess it shows they aren't proper fans in the first place.
    As long as something is being driven flat out through a forest, by the best in the world, I'll always be there with a grin on my face.

11. Likes: doubled1978 (27th April 2020),Rallyper (27th April 2020),skarderud (27th April 2020)
    Liked 9,358 Times in 4,972 Posts
    #M-SPORTER

Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    I have zero intention of driving a Yaris, but I still watch rallying.
    The next gen isn’t electric BTW... it’s going to be hybrid.
    I think you’re wrong about the series losing the fans too, you might not choose to watch it anymore, but I think I’ll be one of many who still watch it, whatever guise it takes.
    Let’s face it, even if they do someday end up using electric cars, they’ll still be as fast as hell to watch.
    Hardcore fans who would watch anything might still watch ugly SUV's but not the general public who wont see any excitement in it. Therefore a big source of publicity will be lost.

And electric is the next step and probably sooner than you think as hybrid is already 'old tech'.

Real fans have stuck with rally through thick and thin and rule changes, but ugly, silent, electric SUV's is more than a change from Gp B to Gp A or 2.0 to 1.6.
    Last edited by Fast Eddie WRC; 27th April 2020 at 13:37.
    #M-SPORTER

Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    Agreed! Hopefully it will encourage more manufacturer interest too.
    Shame that some 'fans' say they / others will walk away even before a reg change has taken effect. I guess it shows they aren't proper fans in the first place.
    As long as something is being driven flat out through a forest, by the best in the world, I'll always be there with a grin on my face.
    In other words you'll watch anything... great argument.

The best in the world wont drive just 'anything' though. Ogier will be gone and Neuville has already said he's not happy with the new cars. Tanak also says no to WRC being R5-based...

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Suzuki SX4 WRC (and Ignis S1600) was just like those "SUV" which are now coming.

I have never heard that someone has stopped watching rallies because of those Suzuki´s

I don´t care which models they are using.
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

16. Likes: AnttiL (27th April 2020),NickRally (1st May 2020),Rallyper (27th April 2020),skarderud (27th April 2020)