Page 4 of 130 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC future

Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    When will new rules actually be finalised/published so manufacturers can start work?

I see a good chance for Skoda coming back with a hybrid WRC

- 2022 should coincide nicely with the early years of the next generation Fabia

- if it's true they signed Oliver Solberg for three years i doubt he would want to spend three years in R5 cars

- They are now launching lots of new hybrid cars under the iV brand, including the new Octavia this week

Of course it was thought they might come back before when they signed all those drivers in 2018 but that came to nothing so won't get my hopes up too much..
    If they come in WRC22 I hope and believe it is with Scala.

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    I was just browsing through the football Euro 2020 qualification matches when I noticed huge banners of VW on one of the stadiums. Guess what was the slogan.

"Just electric"

That tells you a lot about the current European automotive. Just saying...
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

3. Likes: AnttiL (31st October 2020),cali (17th November 2019),tomhlord (17th November 2019)
    Liked 359 Times in 191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    I was just browsing through the football Euro 2020 qualification matches when I noticed huge banners of VW on one of the stadiums. Guess what was the slogan.

"Just electric"

That tells you a lot about the current European automotive. Just saying...
    Absolutely. Even if combustion remains the top-selling propulsion type right now, a lot of the marketing budgets will be tipped towards full-EV. One, EVs are a big investment and manufacturers need to see a return upon that soon. Two, it makes the whole brand look 'good', or kinder, if you have made an EV.

This makes it potentially harder to justify big WRC investments for some manufacturers, as hybrid is just a halfway house. For me, regulations that cater better to privateers until electric tech and infrastructure enable flat-out rallies without compromise is a must.

5. Likes: AnttiL (31st October 2020)
    Liked 1,367 Times in 710 Posts
    We will just habe to discuss, and wish until

From Autosport: Firm regulations for the new era are expected from the FIA by the end of next month.

7. Likes: RS (18th November 2019)
    Liked 212 Times in 133 Posts
    Mr. Herbert Diess just this week:

"“Hybridisation, electrification and digitalisation of our fleet are becoming an increasingly important area of focus. We intend to take advantage of economies of scale and achieve maximum synergies.”

Notice how Hybridisation comes first. Obviously there is some space to promote hybrid technology in the VAG group.

Liked 189 Times in 74 Posts
    Today all the hype is about EVs, hybrids are yesterdays news. In this context it seems weird to go for hybrid in WRC. New rules should reflect state-of-the-art, and cars absolutely should have marketing value. Even now hybrids get much less attention than EVs, most people consider them as stop-gap solution for a time when full-electric matured. Can you imagine big manufacturers advertising hybrids in around 2025 while already now EVs are becoming new standard for modern car? Maybe today technology is just a bit raw yet, for example nobody knows how safe are batteries when cars crash, roll or endure such levels of vibration as is common in rally. So give them bit more time to develope, come in with full electrics from 2023 and continue with current ones until then.

Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    VW was saying the same thing already last year, but that also has to do with VW strategy of largely skipping hybrids for full EV.

Anyway WRC/rallying has been behind in the current trend for last 20 years. First running turbo petrol cars when no normal cars had turbos, then switching to S2000 just about the time downsizing started and going for downsizing 2-3 years later than the industry.

Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Skoda launched their first hybrid only this year and have already presented two more. I think they have some marketing value for the next 5-10 years at least.

F1 is still hybrid and no sign of them going full electric yet.

12. Likes: AnttiL (31st October 2020),pantealex (18th November 2019)
    Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    Hybrids yes, full EVs no. Cars are not ready, grids are definitely not ready.

14. Likes: AnttiL (31st October 2020)
    Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Yes, Europe is totally unprepared for full electrification of the traffic. Nothing is prepared for that and with the speed of decision-making processes in EU this will take decades.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

16. Likes: pantealex (18th November 2019)