Page 37 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC future

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    https://www.rallit.fi/wrc-tallipomo-...mita-tapahtuu/
    Millener is concerned about the effects that corona virus has on the world economy. It could lead into car manufacturers having to cut their budgets and lead into less money being available for developing the new cars and postponing the 2022 rules.
    Yep, now it’s all Covid fault…
    It’s public that the rules were already delayed long before the virus and the situation got worse as some teams, including MSport, pressured the FIA to switch from the initial plan of keeping current WRC cars, with an adiccional hybrid system, to create a whole new WRC car based in cost saving R5 tech. With so many changes, that can still include mandatory spaceframe chassis use, a postponement will be hardly surprising.
    Rally addict since 1982

Liked 12,207 Times in 5,241 Posts
    Estonian newspaper writing that there is some intrigue in Mexico regarding the new rules for 2022.

“I have a feeling that Malcolm (Malcolm Wilson, M-Sports Team Leader - Ed.) has got what he wanted and we are moving towards boring cars. We have just reached a very good level with the WRCs - they are really awesome to drive. Do we now give up our work and go back a step towards boredom? I find it very difficult to understand and there are some question marks about the future of the series, ”Neuville said.

"For me, WRC cars can't be like R5 machines because they're just boring to drive," says Evans. “Right now we have cars that are really awesome to drive. We shouldn't abandon such a good technology. It is possible to reduce costs within reason, because the rally championship must be attractive to factory teams. ”

i fully agree with both of them.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

3. Likes: er88 (14th March 2020),NickRally (15th March 2020),pantealex (14th March 2020)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    Estonian newspaper writing that there is some intrigue in Mexico regarding the new rules for 2022.

“I have a feeling that Malcolm (Malcolm Wilson, M-Sports Team Leader - Ed.) has got what he wanted and we are moving towards boring cars. We have just reached a very good level with the WRCs - they are really awesome to drive. Do we now give up our work and go back a step towards boredom? I find it very difficult to understand and there are some question marks about the future of the series, ”Neuville said.

"For me, WRC cars can't be like R5 machines because they're just boring to drive," says Evans. “Right now we have cars that are really awesome to drive. We shouldn't abandon such a good technology. It is possible to reduce costs within reason, because the rally championship must be attractive to factory teams. ”

i fully agree with both of them.

No doubt that ’22 (or ’23…) WRC cars will loose the current 'wow factor' but from what’s known they won’t be R5 cars, although they’ll be using R5 based engine and transmission.

Anyway, the situation seems pretty clear: with current WRC overall costs (expensive cars, expanded calendar, etc) there’s little way to attract new manus and MSport will pull out sooner or later. This leaves 2 options: keeping current cars while reducing the number of events and their extension (less rally days and kms) or to keep events current format and the series expansion (to new and faraway locations) while running cheaper and less spectacular cars. Apparently the FIA has decided by the second. I hope they're rigth.
    Last edited by Rally Power; 14th March 2020 at 12:56.
    Rally addict since 1982

5. Likes: AnttiL (14th March 2020)
    Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts
    If I were those drivers I shouldn't whine too much, the way things are headed at the moment they'll end up playing computer games instead.

7. Likes: skarderud (14th March 2020)
    Liked 798 Times in 380 Posts
    It's no doubt that the cars has to be cheaper to build and run from 2022. Its lots of possibly solutions, but from a fan point of wiew, a R5++ engine/transmision together with a hybrid system in a standarised tubeframe, some nice aerodynamics and wheelarces, and shorter suspention movement, will make the cars spectacular and nice looking, a little slower in curves and over jumps, but still faster than R5's.

Have to put some rules on aerodynamics, use of carbonfibre, and other expensive materials.

I rather hav 5 different brands in an R5++ WRC class than 2 in a maximum WRC class.

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk
    Radioreporter @ www.radiomotor.no

KNA Lillehammer Motorsport

9. Likes: RS (14th March 2020),Sulland (21st March 2020)
    Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Weird that people still talk about "R5" which isn´t even mentioned in 2020 rules, so it´s 100% sure that "R5" isn´t 2022 solution
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

Liked 798 Times in 380 Posts
    Its not R5 like in todays R5's, but its the use of a similiar engine/transmission rules that has been mentioned.

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk
    Radioreporter @ www.radiomotor.no

KNA Lillehammer Motorsport

Liked 9,353 Times in 4,968 Posts
    Spoilt brat Neuville moaning about the 2022 cars and not sure he wants to drive one !

The costs matter and we need more Manus in WRC, not to lose them.

Lower costs will create more seats and help.privateers join the WRC.

13. Likes: AndyRAC (16th March 2020),skarderud (16th March 2020)
    Liked 544 Times in 302 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Spoilt brat Neuville moaning about the 2022 cars and not sure he wants to drive one !

The costs matter and we need more Manus in WRC, not to lose them.

Lower costs will create more seats and help.privateers join the WRC.
    Ask most drivers and they'll probably prefer a state of the art car.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Evans then also?

16. Likes: Augury (16th March 2020),BigWorm (16th March 2020),er88 (17th March 2020),EstWRC (16th March 2020)