Page 34 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC future

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Finally some decisions about Rally1 (formerly WRC) from 2022 onwards

https://mailchi.mp/fia/jja3q9igfw-1470585

EDIT: There's also the first details of Rally3. 4WD car with 210 BHP and 100 000 euros cap price. For 2021 already.
    It's another step towards rallying being a sort of horse racing of the future. The cars become to be ridiculously obsolete in many major areas compared to the recent research and development level. In fact that has been the case for many years already (with a partial exception in the latest generation of the cars).

I am not saying it's wrong way in our times but it's nothing similar to what the sport used to be in the past (let's say till the end of gr.B era at least but partially also in the first WRC decade).
    Last edited by Mirek; 10th March 2020 at 16:35.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

2. Likes: EstWRC (10th March 2020),NickRally (11th March 2020)
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Horse racing would be mandatory NA RWD cars... which is what some people still call the only "real" rallying.

As a side note F1 ("the pinacle of motorsport") forbade active aero pretty much immediatelly after it came in the 80s and also forbade active suspension after only a few years in 1994. Active aero is now standard on most supercars and active suspension is available down to some mid-class cars while both are still forbidden in F1. (not counting push-button DRS)

In this summary it does seem like a lot of restrictions but I haven't seen any specific numbers yet, so we'll see how it comes out. Some restrictions compared to current situation are necessary for sure.

Liked 2,833 Times in 1,607 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    It's another step towards rallying being a sort of horse racing of the future. The cars become to be ridiculously obsolete in many major areas compared to the recent research and development level. In fact that has been the case for many years already (with a partial exception in the latest generation of the cars).

I am not saying it's wrong way in our times but it's nothing similar to what the sport used to be in the past (let's say till the end of gr.B era at least but partially also in the first WRC decade).
    Mirek, tell me if the interest in world rallying went down, changing from Group B to Group a, in 1987?

(I was there, I know the answer...)
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    No doubt we’ll miss the current cars but with the huge investments in the industry (EV’s, automation, etc) it’s hard for the manus (apart Toyota, apparently) to keep spending millions on mega high tech WRC cars. Besides, with the FIA and the promoter determined to expand the calendar, there’s little room to bring overall costs down apart from changing the tech rules.

Hopefully, even if with less spectacular cars, the WRC will profit from this downgrade as with lower costs there’s a great opportunity to attract more manus. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Finally some decisions about Rally1 (formerly WRC) from 2022 onwards https://mailchi.mp/fia/jja3q9igfw-1470585
    Thanks for sharing Antti. Besides the listed points, at the end of the piece Matton mentions again the use of a standardized safety cell; is he talking about the spaceframe chassis?
    Rally addict since 1982

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    so current WRC cars will be banned ?

or can someone stlll enter a rally with WRC car ?
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

7. Likes: Allez Andruet (10th March 2020),AnttiL (10th March 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    Mirek, tell me if the interest in world rallying went down, changing from Group B to Group a, in 1987?

(I was there, I know the answer...)
    I was not aiming on the spectacle and the popularity in my post rather on the technical side where until reaching a certain braking point (the large number of deaths at the end of gr.B era namely) the sport was a mirror of the technical development level.

Liked 9,312 Times in 4,938 Posts
    I'm sure I read that the Gp.A cars were soon faster on stage times than the Gp.B cars had been. Not so crazy like the 'Killer B's' but a lot more efficient.

Liked 1,367 Times in 710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    Sadly these cars will be named "Rally1s" and not WRCs, following the change from R5s to "Rally 2s"
    In my opinion this namechange is logic, and mirrors the single seater naming convention.
    Formula 1 is the top dog, and Rally1 is the same.

Formula 1, also called F1 for short, and in a few years Rally1 will be called R1. But for now (since FIA messed up some years ago, make WRC a trademark, but calling the top class cars the same) the top class car will go under the long title name, Rally1.

The Fia Rally Pyramid is at last logic in its naming convention for the car classes!

My bet: It will take a year or two before we all have gotten used to it, and we will not miss the old way of naming rally car classes!

11. Likes: AnttiL (10th March 2020),pantealex (11th March 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    I'm sure I read that the Gp.A cars were soon faster on stage times than the Gp.B cars had been. Not so crazy like the 'Killer B's' but a lot more efficient.
    That's natural because even when restricted the development goes on (mainly in the dampers and tyres). However the point is that the gr.B would make a step forward in the same time period as well - and most likely greater than gr.A cars thanks to the bigger freedom of the rules.

13. Likes: pantealex (11th March 2020)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    I would say Group A cars were faster than Group B cars by 1990. Even though they had put the 40mm turbo restrictor that year.

I'm expecting the 2022 cars to be closer to WRC2017 than WRC2011 in pace on the special stages.