Page 2 of 130 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC future

Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    That’s insane…it would almost double current cars price. What about Matton’s plan to get low budget hybrids? TOCA/Cosworth mild system costs only 20k per season: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/m...logy-btcc-2022
    Which manufacturers are you on about? The only two that are left?
    Or are there a bucket load of others waiting and rubbing their hands together that have given some kind of commitment at that cost?

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    That was probably an answer to me, not to Rally Power, right?

The work of FIA is to attract the competitors, i.e. on this level the manufacturers. The manufacturers want to be involved in some sort of competition because it's long-established marketing activity which works if it's done well. By a simple logic you need to sell them a product they want to invest in - and a good product is never too expensive! Forget about figures and start to think about the bigger picture. A product which doesn't fit to the marketing strategy of the brand is too expensive even if it costs 1000 Euro per year.

You ask a question which is fundamentally wrong. You must not create a product and start to search the customers afterwards (here the competitors/manufacturers). You need to talk to the potential customers beforehand and create a product which attracts highest possible number of them. Otherwise you will fail again and again.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

3. Likes: AnttiL (31st October 2020),cali (15th November 2019),Maui J. (18th November 2019)
    Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts
    In 2022, the WRC is scheduled to undergo significant regulation changes. At this time, rumors are rising that Subaru will return to WRC.

On the 10th, the final day of the Central Rally Aichi and Gifu held from November 8th to 10th, the 2003 WRC champion, Petter Solberg, will be held at the main venue, Ai Hiroshi Memorial Park (Morikoro Park). Visited. A demonstration run was conducted on a Subaru WRX STI Group N model.

】 Many rally fans must have recalled Subaru's golden age in this scene, but Subaru's brave figure may be seen again at WRC. The starting point was the WRC regulation change scheduled for 2022. Subaru's WRC return plan is rekindled in line with this new vehicle regulation.

As previously reported, FIA renewed its regulations from 2022 and announced the introduction of a hybrid system. At the same time, when the vehicle size is larger than the vehicle size stipulated in the current regulations, “scaling” to reduce the size was permitted, and the introduction of a prototype car with a tubular frame was also permitted. This is a bold renewal of regulations, and the aim is to encourage new manufacturers to participate, but this change in vehicle regulations has shown interest in participating in the WRC, including Colin McRae in 1995. In addition to producing three drivers' champions, including Richard Burns in 2001, Petter Solberg in 2003, and Subaru who achieved third consecutive title in the Manufacturers category from 1995 to 1997.

According to the person concerned, Subaru seems to start investigation for WRC return, researching the cost of participation, selection of technical partners, and marketing methods.

It seems that it is still a fumbling situation, but it seems that a concrete plan has already been drawn. “In terms of promotions, the main model will be the only hybrid lineup of XV hybrids. WRC is the best tool to promote the sporting image of the hybrid,” said the person concerned. As mentioned above, scaling can be done to reduce the body size, and participation in prototype cars, that is, pure racing cars, is allowed, so SUV-based disadvantages can be spoiled.

On the other hand, regarding the selection of technical suppliers, it seems that it will depend on the future investigation, but according to one theory, M Sports, who works as Ford's satellite team, contacted Subaru personnel. If Subaru comes back in line with the changes in regulation, Subaru must be attractive to M-Sports who can't expect Ford to return to Works. On the other hand, M Sports will be the best technical partner for Subaru as long as it can make use of all the resources cultivated at Ford.

So far, I have compiled Subaru's WRC return plan based on fragmentary information. Personally, I would like to see Oliver Solberg participating in a Subaru car with the Petter Solberg Rally Team as a partner. In any case, I would like to look forward to the day when the rumors about the return to Subaru come true.

https://jp.motorsport.com/wrc/news/w...ybrid/4596580/

5. Likes: AnttiL (15th November 2019),Maui J. (18th November 2019),Mirek (15th November 2019),Rally Hokkaido (17th November 2019),Rally Power (15th November 2019),skarderud (15th November 2019),Sulland (16th November 2019)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    That was probably an answer to me, not to Rally Power, right?

The work of FIA is to attract the competitors, i.e. on this level the manufacturers. The manufacturers want to be involved in some sort of competition because it's long-established marketing activity which works if it's done well. By a simple logic you need to sell them a product they want to invest in - and a good product is never too expensive! Forget about figures and start to think about the bigger picture. A product which doesn't fit to the marketing strategy of the brand is too expensive even if it costs 1000 Euro per year.

You ask a question which is fundamentally wrong. You must not create a product and start to search the customers afterwards (here the competitors/manufacturers). You need to talk to the potential customers beforehand and create a product which attracts highest possible number of them. Otherwise you will fail again and again.
    Sorry (and to you too, Rallypower) yes, it was meant to you, Mirek.
    I get what you're saying for the most part, but, like all market research, are they sure the product IS going to be attractive to the manufacturers? And I don't just mean the two current ones, I mean have they got any interest from others? If they have, why isn't there more noise about other teams joining? I would have thought that alongside FIA discussion about the new regulations, they would also communicate that there are interested parties.
    I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on if any more Manu's are buying in to the new concept.

I am not involved so I don't know who is in talks with FIA but I know one thing for sure - much more manufacturers are potentially interested in hybrid WRC than for pure combustion ones. In the current social climate the combustion WRC cars are unfortunately dead.

Liked 212 Times in 133 Posts
    So Citroen strategy was:

Cry about Hybrid technology and demand it for the future to..... immediately leave the series with its introduction.

We like to think those management moguls have it all figured out and planned when they clearly dont.
    Last edited by Francis44; 15th November 2019 at 17:42.

Liked 252 Times in 158 Posts
    Kinda like VW, who is very vocal about it and when they are asked if they will return, no no way. I mean who are they to push when they are not around. Manus should sign a contract for this regs for 3 years at least, so FIA would be assure to introduce this without worrying of manus leaving before even start.

Kinda like World RX, there was like 9 of them, and when the time really come no one was really around. And I doubt it will be anything different when it really start this Project E era.

Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    Who knows, maybe Opel motorsport isn`t considered as a part of PSA motorsport...they were quite sufficient on their own...

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis44 View Post
    So Citroen strategy was:

Cry about Hybrid technology and demand it for the future to..... immediately leave the series with its introduction.

We like to think those management moguls have it all figured out and planned when they clearly dont.
    They cried about hybrid technology and left to the hybrid series. For whatever reason they see WEC as a better investment for them but the main thing stays - they went for the hybrid.

13. Likes: AndyRAC (16th November 2019),AnttiL (15th November 2019)