Page 120 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 1296

Thread: WRC future

Liked 591 Times in 314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by focus206 View Post
    You make it sound like both Paddon and Mirek claimed something that is not supported and not yet proven and they're on equal ground, when in reality Mirek said that Paddon's statement is not yet proven because we lack statistics, simple as that. Nobody is treating what Paddon said as if it's an absolute wrong 1+1=3 statement. It's up to Paddon to prove himself right either by datas or facts, it's not up to anybody to prove that their doubts about an unsupported statement are legitimate. Even because, if it's not legitimate to have doubts on an unsupported statement, it would mean we should just believe what everybody says without asking for datas/proofs? We could believe in Paddon's good faith and wait for him to show us, but it's not a mandatory law.
    sorry, nope! It's not me making Mirek sound like. Just taking what he said. Just check!
    Mirek didn't just said that claim was unsupported. he claimed it's false: "I only said the Paddon's claim was false because it was unsupported".

I'm not questioning anyone's legitimate doubt for sure! on that, I completely agree with you, I'm not taking it for granted me too, I've said a lot of time "time will tell".

I'm questioning the incorrect association no proof=false.

just this, not trying to diminish Mirek's knowledge or anything. a claim not proven can be controversial as you want and generate any kind of doubt, but doesn't mean it is false.
    on this basis, nothing new can be achieved. I claim I can do something, then I go experimenting. doubt are normal and logical, but it's not that is automatically wrong (false) just because it was not done before (lack of data). when they set up for the moon, no claim on going there could be proven that moment, right?

anyway: a far too long "phylosofic" discourse for a rally forum. and way off topic. let's move on, shall we?

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    "The car has multiple fail safes which mean it’s safe for the public to touch. We service the car as normal. If something was to go wrong (which is very unlikely), our external emergency lights (very clear) will flash red as a warning."

https://twitter.com/HaydenPaddon/sta...31579644911616

Liked 1,093 Times in 491 Posts
    There are people who basically stand right next to the racing line, while there's a car coming towards them at full tilt. If flirting with death doesn't scare them, then I doubt some red flashing light would make any difference. Of course not all are like that but we can't forget that kind of people.
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    There are people who basically stand right next to the racing line, while there's a car coming towards them at full tilt. If flirting with death doesn't scare them, then I doubt some red flashing light would make any difference. Of course not all are like that but we can't forget that kind of people.
    The red flashing light is standard feature for many circuit EV series but as you said it has basically zero safety function in relation to general untrained (and sometimes drunk) public.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

5. Likes: pantealex (2nd February 2021),TWRC (3rd February 2021),wyler (2nd February 2021)
    Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    If Hyundai say no in June, WRC have a real Challenge on their hand.
    4 top factory drivers is not good.

And had I been sitting in the board knowing what is coming, I would have said no.
    Hyundai have a 800v Ionic 5 coming, that is a quick charger, and they would need a charging truck btw stages.
    https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car...formance-cars/

So to push all the needed money into Hybrid now, is too late.

As said by others: FIA missed an option not going ahead with the all electric WRX series a few years back. They would have been much more of a suitable testbed. Lets see what the Extreme E series get out of its first season
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMsfLJB5S9E

Liked 212 Times in 133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    If Hyundai say no in June, WRC have a real Challenge on their hand.
    4 top factory drivers is not good.

And had I been sitting in the board knowing what is coming, I would have said no.
    Hyundai have a 800v Ionic 5 coming, that is a quick charger, and they would need a charging truck btw stages.
    https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car...formance-cars/

So to push all the needed money into Hybrid now, is too late.

As said by others: FIA missed an option not going ahead with the all electric WRX series a few years back. They would have been much more of a suitable testbed. Lets see what the Extreme E series get out of its first season
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMsfLJB5S9E
    For me the most exciting title race and championship in the last decade was in 2011, with just two manufacteurs entries (Citroen and Ford).

Also, when someone mentions the need for full electric cars to guarantee the survival of a series, why does everyone fail the mention the complete failure of WRX when the full electric cars were announced?!

8. Likes: cali (4th February 2021),Eli (4th February 2021)
    Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis44 View Post
    Also, when someone mentions the need for full electric cars to guarantee the survival of a series, why does everyone fail the mention the complete failure of WRX when the full electric cars were announced?!
    What? WRX collapsed after electric cars were delayed... manus (mostly VW with two brands - VW and Audi, followed by Peugeot) said it was too long to wait two years.

10. Likes: pantealex (4th February 2021)
    Liked 212 Times in 133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    What? WRX collapsed after electric cars were delayed... manus (mostly VW with two brands - VW and Audi, followed by Peugeot) said it was too long to wait two years.
    And why were they delayed?! Because manus were not ready to commit and build the cars. If the electric proposition was so interesting for them by now we would have them back running electric cars.

Also, funnily enough, no relevant manufacteur has shown interested or have commited to re-enter the series under the 2022 electric regulations, yet. And Audi has commited after that to two series with combustion engines (Dakar and WEC).
    Last edited by Francis44; 4th February 2021 at 15:27.

Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    And why were they delayed?! Because manus were not ready to commit and build the cars. If the electric proposition was so interesting for them by now we would have them back running electric cars.

Also, funnily enough, no relevant manufacteur has shown interested or have commited to re-enter the series under the 2022 electric regulations, yet. And Audi has commited after that to two series with combustion engines (Dakar and WEC).
    They were delayed cause FIA and "teams" (not VW/Peugeot etc leadership but actuall rallycross team leadership) were too slow making new rules.

Corporate leadership might want something but making the rules work is the job of FIA in talks with team bosses. Who often have competing interests and argue about everything. The corporate leadership just looks at results of their work.

Sounds familiar eh?

Extremely funny that you mention Dakar when it's marketed as "EV with a generator", not "hybrid". It's more like wanting to do an EV but having to keep engine as a generator as pure EV wouldn't work in that setting.

Liked 233 Times in 115 Posts
    And Audi has commited after that to two series with combustion engines (Dakar and WEC).
    Francis, Audi’s Dakar racer is marketed as an electric car (as mknight pointed) with combustion engine range extender, though I agree there is a strong indication it is a thinly disguised combustion powered vehicle – this will become clearer once we know what battery capacity they run versus engine power. As I have mentioned previously this is a very cunning move on the part of Audi as they can claim the heart of the racer is electric and the combustion engine’s role will gradually be reduced as batteries develop. It satisfies the electric community while providing as much range as the engineers care to design in.

Going beyond the rally raids and although this series hybrid type arrangement is probably not efficient enough for a road car travelling at relatively constant speed, it might just fit in nicely in a rally car with large variation in engine operating range and strong acceleration and braking events. If I was to design an electrically powered rally car with today’s technology and given sufficient technical freedom, that would be my solution of choice.

To emphasize, the electrical portion of such drivetrain and its development is very much applicable to the development of modern battery powered electric road cars.
    Last edited by NickRally; 4th February 2021 at 22:07.

14. Likes: the sniper (7th February 2021)