Page 111 of 130 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1296

Thread: WRC future

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scn View Post
    After seeing what is happening with M-Sport, I think everyone should consider R5+, with just a considerably bigger restrictor, a 6-speed transmission and no other modifications from R5.
    I love modern WRC cars, they are the best ever to watch, much better even than GrB or Gr4, but if only two manufacturers in whole world can afford them there should be a serious cutting in cost, soon. And the cheapest and faster thing to do is just this: R5+
    What is your guess, how much the team budget would change for these "R5+" cars? Let's say the yearly budget is now 100 million euros, how much of that would be reduced with cheaper cars? And how expensive would these "R5+" cars soon be if the manufacturer teams could start tossing money into them with the intention of winning the title (not making profit by selling cars to privateers)

Now, think again: could it be possible that there's currently only two manufacturers in the world who are interested in putting any money in supporting a whole WRC team, regardless of the car type?
    Last edited by AnttiL; 16th December 2020 at 11:20.

2. Likes: pantealex (16th December 2020)
    Liked 195 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    What is your guess, how much the team budget would change for these "R5+" cars? Let's say the yearly budget is now 100 million euros, how much of that would be reduced with cheaper cars?

Now, think again: could it be possible that there's currently only two manufacturers in the world who are interested in putting money in supporting a whole WRC team, no matter what the car is?
    I do not know the numbers and what percentage of the total cost is the car development. If it is low percentage, then there is no point for a cheaper car. If it is high percentage, then there is. If you can show the actual numbers it would be very good.
    I just see that there are seven manufacturers with R5 cars and this might be a good reason for attracting them.

I do not know the numbers and what percentage of the total cost is the car development. If it is low percentage, then there is no point for a cheaper car. If it is high percentage, then there is. If you can show the actual numbers it would be very good.
    Obviously I don't have the numbers, but we can think about all the costs in running a WRC team, which are not depending on the car type: salaries (especially drivers), fuel, tyres, flights, cargo, accomodations, insurances, service park equipment, team headquarters, arranging test days etc.
    I just see that there are seven manufacturers with R5 cars and this might be a good reason for attracting them.
    Think about this again. Most of the models are already quite old, why would they want to promote these models now? Also, teams like Citroen and Skoda just ended their manufacturer teams a year ago and VW ended all its motorsport activities just a couple of weeks back. That would leave us again with Toyota, Hyundai, M-Sport and Proton as an oddball team with fewer resources and little chances to compete with them.

As for attracting new manufacturers, you need to think what gives them value. Do they want to market small ICE cars or maybe bigger models with hybrid?

5. Likes: pantealex (16th December 2020)
    Liked 591 Times in 314 Posts
    also r5 is much more a "direct" market than wrc, that is mainly "promotional".

most of r5 manufacturer just sell the car without having an official team. that's also quite always the model for regional championships, where private teams wins the title and manus can claim their brand title as well.

i think it's not so automatic that making r5 top category will bring this manus to official involvement. probably it is more likely the opposite as in wrc2/3 already happens.

7. Likes: AnttiL (16th December 2020),pantealex (16th December 2020)
    Liked 1,368 Times in 711 Posts
    Seeing what is happening with M-Sport, I think everyone should consider R5+, with just a considerably bigger restrictor, a 6-speed transmission and no other modifications from R5.
    I love modern WRC cars, they are the best ever to watch, much better even than GrB or Gr4, but if only two manufacturers in whole world can afford them there should be a serious cutting in cost, soon. And the cheapest and faster thing to do is just this: R5+
    Ok, and if so; what should the + consist of?

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post

Now, think again: could it be possible that there's currently only two manufacturers in the world who are interested in putting any money in supporting a whole WRC team, regardless of the car type?
    It's looking that way. And in other news, another series, the WEC gains yet another manufacturer.......

https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/1...lmdh-prototype

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    Ok, and if so; what should the + consist of?
    He said it in the post. Bigger restrictor and 6-speed transmission.

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    It's looking that way. And in other news, another series, the WEC gains yet another manufacturer.......

and that is after Audi also announced it would be re-entering WEC

Liked 212 Times in 133 Posts

And with hybrids aswell. So maybe the problem is not the cars!

13. Likes: the sniper (16th December 2020)
    Liked 1,530 Times in 658 Posts

And what is it that every manufacturer talks about in their WEC/IMSA program announcements? They talk not about the series, but about their classic endurance events, Le Mans, Daytona, Sebring...

The last time manufacturers were joining the WRC in the early 2010s, the WRC was all about talking up longer events, returning to endurance... That lasted, what, a few years, before people realised it was too much like hard work?

If there's an announcement from a manufacturer re-joining the WRC, I doubt it'll sing the virtues of taking on a quick sprint around a small bit of Croatia. Though there won't be many classics left to mention.

15. Likes: AndyRAC (17th December 2020)