Page 107 of 130 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1296

Thread: WRC future

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    Rally is, as all motorsport in the entertainment business, no more and no less. Same as football, or any sport.
    Hard to agree with you on that one. Many sports can be seen as entertainment once they are mostly a game, but Rally, and motorsport in general, it’s much more than that. Rally drivers don’t ‘play’, they live a true risk by challenging the most demanding roads on powerfull machines that can become unpredictable at any second. I believe it’s that ‘larger than life’ element of Rally that make us following it in the media and, every possible time, to travel hundreds of kms and spend several days under all sorts of weather to watch it.
    Rally addict since 1982

2. Likes: Eli (3rd December 2020),pantealex (3rd December 2020),the sniper (4th December 2020)
    Liked 591 Times in 314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    Hard to agree with you on that one. Many sports can be seen as entertainment once they are mostly a game, but Rally, and motorsport in general, it’s much more than that. Rally drivers don’t ‘play’, they live a true risk by challenging the most demanding roads on powerfull machines that can become unpredictable at any second. I believe it’s that ‘larger than life’ element of Rally that make us following it in the media and, every possible time, to travel hundreds of kms and spend several days under all sorts of weather to watch it.
    yeah. agreed. (I think most people here think the same)
    then take away the fanboy glasses and take a step back. It is a sport. the same as a game in the end. especially for non-fan. i guess here we are trying to be less fans and more pragmatic, to forecast the future as realistically as possible.

i guess a chess player, a soccer fan, everyone! with a true passion can give you a million words story about how romantic and best-in-the-world his passion is. i think we are not comparing passions here...

4. Likes: AndyRAC (3rd December 2020),AnttiL (3rd December 2020),Mirek (4th December 2020)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    I'm not familiar with other motorsports very much, but at least rallying differs from most conventional sports by being very expensive to run, and the money to run the sport on professional level comes from the marketing budgets of car manufacturers. It's entertainment for sure, but also marketing, very much, more than just the external sponsors like in most sports.

Quote Originally Posted by wyler View Post
    yeah. agreed. (I think most people here think the same)
    then take away the fanboy glasses and take a step back. It is a sport. the same as a game in the end. especially for non-fan. i guess here we are trying to be less fans and more pragmatic, to forecast the future as realistically as possible.

i guess a chess player, a soccer fan, everyone! with a true passion can give you a million words story about how romantic and best-in-the-world his passion is. i think we are not comparing passions here...
    Sorry mate; hard to follow you. The post is about considering Rally mainly as an entertainment, or not. It has nothing to do with forecasting its future or comparing fans passion. For gods sake.
    Rally addict since 1982

Sorry mate; hard to follow you. The post is about considering Rally mainly as an entertainment, or not. It has nothing to do with forecasting its future or comparing fans passion. For gods sake.
    really? having a title as "Wrc future?" I was thinking we were talking about this.
    Rally as entertainment argument is just a good part of it, exactly as trying to forecast which direction it will take. I agree that a romantic depiction of braveness is just out of focus.

8. Likes: AnttiL (3rd December 2020)
    really? having a title as "Wrc future?" I was thinking we were talking about this.
    Rally as entertainment argument is just a good part of it, exactly as trying to forecast which direction it will take. I agree that a romantic depiction of braveness is just out of focus.
    Maybe you’ve been distracted but this forum is an open debate space and posts don’t need to strictly respect the thread title.

Anyway, once you’re mentioning it, probably what’s missing in this sport promotion is a better way to show that ‘romantic depiction of braveness’, because it’s real and makes thousands going to rally stages, at least to proper ones.
    Rally addict since 1982

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Maybe you’ve been distracted but this forum is an open debate space and posts don’t need to strictly respect the thread title.

Anyway, once you’re mentioning it, probably what’s missing in this sport promotion is a better way to show that ‘romantic depiction of braveness’, because it’s real and makes thousands going to rally stages, at least to proper ones.
    Well right now no one can go to any rally stages, whether on circuit or on roads. But the series pushes on and someone pays the bills.

11. Likes: pantealex (4th December 2020)
    Funny you say this having said that just a few lines above: "Sorry mate; hard to follow you. The post is about considering Rally mainly as an entertainment, or not. It has nothing to do with forecasting its future or comparing fans passion. For gods sake."

so can we speak freely, or we have to stick to the post? I'm more confused than distracted...

Let's go on with the real topic: i agree with the post above that is enough a point to continue the discussion. Btw this storytelling of braveness and romanticism fails to represent todays reality, as the new main actor of rallying wants to show something different. Maybe we fan would love that, but manus want to speak to a generic and casual attendee, the one that buys their cars.

13. Likes: TheFlyingTuga (3rd December 2020)
    Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    I'm not familiar with other motorsports very much, but at least rallying differs from most conventional sports by being very expensive to run, and the money to run the sport on professional level comes from the marketing budgets of car manufacturers. It's entertainment for sure, but also marketing, very much, more than just the external sponsors like in most sports.
    Actually wrc is a cheap sport. For a few million dollars you can participate, and for a few tens of millions you can actually get a real shot at a world title.

Many other professional sports have much greater budgets.

15. Likes: AndyRAC (4th December 2020),wyler (3rd December 2020)
    Btw this storytelling of braveness and romanticism fails to represent todays reality, as the new main actor of rallying wants to show something different. Maybe we fan would love that, but manus want to speak to a generic and casual attendee, the one that buys their cars.
    We keep seeing brands, from all sectors, using personal stories of resilience from their sponsored athlete’s to promote their products; for sure rally drivers bravery can also have marketing value.
    Rally addict since 1982