Page 62 of 130 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC future

Liked 591 Times in 314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
    But we're led to believe that WRC rallies are too long, people's attention spans are too short nowadays to follow such an event... Yet many tens, even hundreds of thousands of people make the effort to line the routes of major tours to catch just a brief glimpse of these events. Sound familiar? The stages last and are broadcast for hours, for many hours of which very little is happening. Some events are one long day, the Grand Tours go on for WEEKS!

Can you imagine major cycling stage races being as popular as they are now had their formats been standardised and diminished in scope to the extent that most rallies have?
    as i wrote just above, cycling is standardized! take the vuelta, giro, and tour. starts same hours, finishes every day around 5 o'clock. even mountain stage are more or less same days in the 3 week span... and has plenty of difference from rally. yes, it has stages (but 1 per day). yes hardcore fan goes in the mountains and wait for hours but that's all. if you tune in 30 min at the stage end u can see everything important and know immediately who won the day. if you have 30 rally car u have to wait 1hr to know who won a stage. in the meantime is possible another stage is already running. big number of people is made by bystanders when passing in village and town. people can attend from home garden (yes sometimes rally too, but not comparable). and so on, told before. cycling is more marketable tv wise, 'cause is very much simpler compared to rally.
    another fundamental thing: in cycling you can see athletes!!! (i mean their faces)

2. Likes: AnttiL (6th July 2020)
    Liked 591 Times in 314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post

Maybe we should have embraced Jost Capito's suggestion having the power stage decide positions to add more television viewers? But in addition, do it at the end of every day?

Again, you could also play the F1 argument here and say rallies would become popular if they were run in two hours on Sunday afternoon.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm a route enthusiast, I would love the rallies to be longer, but I know that in practice it's not possible today. (I also wouldn't definitely want Jost Capito's idea or a F1 format rally.)
    No way! i hated Capito's idea, but was the right direction of thinking long term.
    i i'm not proposing a solution. i was just analyzing how the market works and what it asks to promoters.
    all live is disrupting in that sense. completely new and opposite direction. it's struggling because of money it needs to work, but for fans is great and it has potential to grow if promoter can turn casuals into fans. that's the point. rally needs a catchy live format for casual fans to sell to big tv network. that's why they try so hard with power stage...also recap and highlights have to be improved to gain audience, prime time spaces and so on. rally needs a clear long term strategy in communicating itself, something i don't see that much in recent promoter works. let's see with the new boss!
    route can be longer while events shorter- they easily can add daily stages, opposite of this is the need of manus to have cars and driver in service park, where they mount their circus tent, give gadget, connect people to social media, and most important host sponsors showing them they can reach a lot of people, possible in the middle of a city.
    I still think there's a way to converge fans and market, longer route and a competition better format, and marketing needs. it just take time and trials (and a bit of flexibility) to find the right recipe. i.e: a big sunday afternoon service park event (even not sport related) could be a good idea.

Liked 9,312 Times in 4,938 Posts
    https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/fia-w...rive-wrc-cars/

"... the FIA has confirmed the next generation of Rally1 cars will be allowed to compete universally from 2022"

So M-Sport have got their way ?!

Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post

Its just that manufacturers do not believe they will get the return on investment.
    This is the crux of the matter; doesn't matter if an event is 1 day, or 3, 4, or even 5 days.....It's all about exposure - whether that's TV, radio, newpapers, adverts, social media, etc
    WRC All Live is a good addition, but it can't give that; coverage behind a paywall isn't bringing the level of exposure Manufacturers, sponsors want or need. FTA highlights after the event isn't really cutting it in the 21st century.
    And it's not something new - we've been saying the same for the past 15-20 years. And we see the same things happening; a few years of healthy Manufacturer interest, then 1 or 2 leave and we're struggling again.

Put it this way, if you want to sell a car, you're better putting your name on the shirt of a football team or a pitch side advert.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

6. Likes: AnttiL (6th July 2020),T16 (7th July 2020),the sniper (6th July 2020)
    Liked 9,312 Times in 4,938 Posts
    Nearly all top sport shown live is behind a 'pay wall' and had been for years.

In the UK Sky has taken most live sport and now BT also. Even Eurosport isnt FTA anymore.

WRC is at least available (All) Live now and is even on BT Sport at no extra cost to their subscribers & broadband users.

The only way to do better is put it on national free tv but can they commit to full coverage of the whole rally ?

Liked 1,090 Times in 488 Posts
    I don't think Free to Air is the way to go as lots of people are paying for a service that gives them access to a certain amount of channels anyway. In Latvia and Estonia, basically the public broadcasting is the only one in FTA. It's more about on how niche channel the show is. If it's on a channel that's in the more basic channel packages, then there's a bigger chance of more people seeing it.

But if it's in some sport package that you have to know about in the first place, then you can do whatever crazy stunts you want, but you'll never reach the big audience. And we need to keep in mind that the whole TV landscape has changed a lot in the last 20 years and I'm not even talking about streaming and its effects.

Where viewers are is more fragmented than ever before.
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Many here are saying that rally days are too short
    but
    if you look rally schedules first drivers leave service park 6-7AM because stages don´t start from service park
    same thing in afternoon/evening, day doesn´t end where last stage ends
    so drivers do work about 12h/day now

not all drivers/team members can have hotel rooms near service park, that´s few hours more of "rallying time" for some people.

I personally don´t want tired drivers driving 200km/h between trees, way too dangerous for spectators.
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

10. Likes: AnttiL (6th July 2020),EstWRC (6th July 2020),skarderud (7th July 2020),the sniper (7th July 2020)
    Liked 12,166 Times in 5,218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pantealex View Post
    Many here are saying that rally days are too short
    but
    if you look rally schedules first drivers leave service park 6-7AM because stages don´t start from service park
    same thing in afternoon/evening, day doesn´t end where last stage ends
    so drivers do work about 12h/day now

not all drivers/team members can have hotel rooms near service park, that´s few hours more of "rallying time" for some people.

I personally don´t want tired drivers driving 200km/h between trees, way too dangerous for spectators.
    +1

especially in Wales, if anyone here has seen Tänaks movie you get a picture how early they get up and how late they get to sleep.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

12. Likes: AnttiL (6th July 2020),pantealex (6th July 2020),the sniper (7th July 2020)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Maybe the hybrids could add a new element to be followed on the broadcasts. They should be able to get an electric boost to the engine and then they use the electric power to drive in the city to the service. It will add another layer of tactics and skill: where do you use the boost? If you use the boost too much, you'll run out of electric power and not be able to drive the city to the service. The level of electric power and boost usage could be seen on the screen telemetry. I would believe this is what the manufacturers also want to be pushed, even if it's not so remarkable in terms of the competition. And what the manufacturers do not want to see is their car retiring because of a failure in the electric system.
    Last edited by AnttiL; 7th July 2020 at 08:28.

14. Likes: Allez Andruet (7th July 2020)
    Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Maybe the hybrids could add a new element to be followed on the broadcasts. They should be able to get an electric boost to the engine and then they use the electric power to drive in the city to the service. It will add another layer of tactics and skill: where do you use the boost? If you use the boost too much, you'll run out of electric power and not be able to drive the city to the service. The level of electric power and boost usage could be seen on the screen telemetry. I would believe this is what the manufacturers also want to be pushed, even if it's not so remarkable in terms of the competition. And what the manufacturers do not want to see is their car retiring because of a failure in the electric system.
    I think your imagination has ran away a little there.

16. Likes: Tauri_J (7th July 2020)