Page 94 of 130 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC future

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruNorway View Post
    Would that mean the nearly 1000? R5's out there won't be able to run in the top class in WRC from 2023 or will there be a handicap for the mild hybrid version?
    Top class? You know something we don’t?

Liked 1,883 Times in 736 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Top class? You know something we don’t?
    It's WRC3 i think? Must be since they are always faster than WRC2?
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

3. Likes: pantealex (2nd November 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruNorway View Post
    It's WRC3 i think? Must be since they are always faster than WRC2?
    so these are the top classes in WRC?

Anyway, seriously, your question is a good one. When new Rally2 cars will get a hybrid boost, will the old ones be eligible for competition, or will they just be slower than the hybrids? Or lighter and thus faster? More reliable? Remember that in the future it's possible that Rally3 cars are used anyway for WRC3.

Liked 65 Times in 46 Posts
    Paddon unveiling electric Kona rally car tomorrow NZ time (Wednesday 4th November) . Appears young South Island driver Pettigrew could be entrusted with the demonstration run later this month.(name on side window)

Car unveiled.
    Paddon considering hydrogen for the next car. Obviously the big batteries make full electric a heavy car.
    Last edited by Humber; 3rd November 2020 at 20:34.

Gerard Quinn comments:

https://twitter.com/WRCgerardquinn/s...74115044593666

This is where 2022 #WRC regulations should have headed with technology more relevant in subsequent years rather than hybrid that is today's technology. Great to see this development pushing boundaries, creating a workable proof point rather than hype and environmental lip service
    Some details on the car

https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/evs...-rally-machine

Liked 237 Times in 112 Posts

Liked 9,343 Times in 4,962 Posts

Liked 178 Times in 77 Posts
    This is not my cup of tea and i sorelely miss the "good old days" of night rallying, 5 days across the country event and loud and roaring open exhausts. But this is 2020, not 1970 anymore ...

It may be a do or die time for rallying, and i buy the argument that you better be ahead of your time rather than running behind (and being eventuall left dead by the roadside). When you see the success and media suport of extreme E, which is almost a joke (to Rallying standards), it let you wonder if the rallying community is not totally missing the target. Wy not going with the current cars for a couple of years (or more) and then around 2023/2024, switch to full electric ?
    I understad all the arguments about logistics, road sections, car weight, etc .. but not only is the technology moving fast, but at the same times rallyes are becoming shorter and shorter, both in terms of SS distance and road section (the hatred "leaf format..."). There may be a way to make it work...
    Just throwing an indea (Antill, Mirek, don't kill me !), whazt do you guys think ?

10. Likes: AndyRAC (4th November 2020),AnttiL (4th November 2020)
    Liked 11,150 Times in 4,426 Posts

My three cents

1) Actual electric sports or race cars have extremely short range when pushed to the maximum. Forget about road range of stock cars, that's completely different scale of power drained from the batteries. There is no info about battery capacity but considering the vehicle weight I am pretty sure it can not do a typical WRC loop, possibly not even one half.

2) 1400 kg heavy car has to be way more powerful than R5 cars to be reasonably faster which gets us into a vicious circle. The bigger power requires bigger batteries and the weight grows. IMHO it will be very difficult if not impossible to have full electric cars faster than R5 cars over the typical WRC stage and liaisons distance.

3) One thing is to be faster the other is to appear faster for the audience. That is very difficult to solve because the electric cars simply lack the wow efect.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

12. Likes: pantealex (6th November 2020),Rally Power (4th November 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by djip View Post
    Wy not going with the current cars for a couple of years (or more) and then around 2023/2024, switch to full electric ?
    I understad all the arguments about logistics, road sections, car weight, etc .. but not only is the technology moving fast, but at the same times rallyes are becoming shorter and shorter, both in terms of SS distance and road section (the hatred "leaf format..."). There may be a way to make it work...
    Just throwing an indea (Antill, Mirek, don't kill me !), whazt do you guys think ?
    Well, I think it's too early to go electric. We just got the first prototype introduced today. A lot of issues still to be solved with electric cars in rallying in terms of range and safety. I'm sure Paddon's team is working on them as we speak. Before making it the main class, make it first a sub class, with maybe a shorter route.

14. Likes: Jewy46 (4th November 2020),pantealex (6th November 2020),Rally Hokkaido (4th November 2020),Sulland (4th November 2020)