Page 89 of 130 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC future

Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    We can talk down Rally2s and sing the virtues of hybrid cars with Frankenstein prototype bodyshells all we like, but has there actually been any talk of new manufacturers joining under the proposed new rules? That’s the key thing surely.

2. Likes: cali (30th October 2020),Rally Power (29th October 2020)
    Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    We can talk down Rally2s and sing the virtues of hybrid cars with Frankenstein prototype bodyshells all we like, but has there actually been any talk of new manufacturers joining under the proposed new rules? That’s the key thing surely.
    One advantage of spaceframe prototypes is that those don't need manufacturers for anything. You can make such class free to enter for whatever team no matter what relationship it has with any stock manufacturer. Again same thing what we have in Dakar or many circuit series.

I am well avare that it's something going directly against rallying herritage but at some point it's necessary to think about certain transformation to keep the sport attractive in the future.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

4. Likes: AnttiL (30th October 2020)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wyler View Post
    That's not the point. Point is make a better (and cheaper) top tier category. moving the second tier to be first as it is doesn't seem enough. nor pumping it to better performance, as would be same as what's is already there.
    The problem is that, apparently, only 2 manus are now interested on a whole new top tier category and having 2 manus is simply too short for any credible top motorsport series, as the WRC itself experienced on the late 00's.

Besides, there's urgency to bring the Hybrid label to Rally and the announced Rally2 mild hybrids seems to be a easy and cheap way to do it (for sure it'll take less time and money to adapt a eTurbo to current R5's than turn WRC cars into plug-in hybrids).

Btw, with a specific Rally2+ class as the main WRC category, manus would have the chance to improve R5's speed and reliabilty without hurting the prices and specs of the Rally2 cars used in national series.
    Last edited by Rally Power; 30th October 2020 at 00:11.
    Rally addict since 1982

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    Btw, with a specific Rally2+ class as the main WRC category, manus would have the chance to improve R5's speed and reliabilty without hurting the prices and specs of the Rally2 cars used in national series.
    Don't tell me that you actually believe in this.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

7. Likes: pantealex (30th October 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Don't tell me that you actually believe in this.
    Why not?

There's room to keep Rally2 in national or regional series and have an upgraded Rally2+ (or Super Rally2) category just for the WRC.
    Rally addict since 1982

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    I have followed it closely. Apart from Mirek's comment on the body shell above (and potentially using the rally2 formula) I genuinely can't remember seeing much about making it cheaper. I don't understand what you mean by better. Is it the discussion that's around the cars moving around a little more if the suspension changes?
    Genuinely interested in what might make it both better and cheaper, but I got the impression from this thread that it was going to become more expensive (Hybrid unit) and potentially not as good to watch (slower) if the Rally2 format was adopted?
    I think we must be ready to give away some aspects of the sport we have now with the current cars in order to save the series. There's only bad choices, and we must choose the least bad.

Where do you get the impression that Rally1 cars will be slower than Rally2 cars?

Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    The problem is that, apparently, only 2 manus are now interested on a whole new top tier category and having 2 manus is simply too short for any credible top motorsport series, as the WRC itself experienced on the late 00's.
    How many manufacturers are interested in running the series with Rally2 cars? I don't think we have confirmation from any manufacturers on this.

11. Likes: pantealex (30th October 2020)
    Liked 177 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    How many manufacturers are interested in running the series with Rally2 cars? I don't think we have confirmation from any manufacturers on this.
    True - and I don't buy the idea of R5+. If you make it different/upgraded, costs arise , it will be limited to a number of "selected" (works ?) teams, and i agree that then there may be no point in moving away from Rally1

It is either you keep it as is, with two well separated class, with tier 1 reserved for the happy few (whichever Manu wants to invest), or you "downgrade" to basic R5 (with eturbo if you want a green label) that everyone can afford. The championship is then mostly run for private / works-supported entries. In other words, it is either WEC, or GT3.

There is no point in debating "what could be". WEC at its peak with 3 full works team + multiple works teams running the second class (GTEPro) was awsesome. And so was WRC a few years back with 4 works team fighting tooth and nail. But today's WEC (with now only a single top team and a diwndeling number of works GTEPro teams) may give an hindsight of were WRC is heading is Matton and the FIA boys remain stubborn ...

13. Likes: AndyRAC (30th October 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by djip View Post
    But today's WEC (with now only a single top team and a diwndeling number of works GTEPro teams) may give an hindsight of were WRC is heading is Matton and the FIA boys remain stubborn ...
    I would say this is a reflection on how the world has changed over the last decade, and even more so during the last two years, rather than FIA's decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    There's no confirmation once running Rally2 (ideally in Rally2+ mode) as the WRC top category isn't still under consideration, but it certainly has a larger potential to attract more manus than Rally1 Hybrids now has.

MSport and Citroen (the C3 continues to be developed at Versailles and it's Citroen who's paying PHSport to run Ostberg) are already running Rally2 cars, Toyota is developing the Yaris and Hyundai and Skoda would get the perfect chance to promote their new models ('21 i20 and '22 Fabia), at least on a semi-official way (supporting top private teams).

Btw, let me ask you the other way around: do you really believe that it's viable to start Rally1 Hybrids with only 2 manus involved?
    Rally addict since 1982

16. Likes: RS (30th October 2020),Sulland (30th October 2020),T16 (30th October 2020)