Thread: WRC future

Threaded View

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djip View Post
    This WRC2/WRC3 is total nonsense and should be binned - period. The concept of registering for championship poiunts is total nonsense (iother than FIA cashing in big checks from manufacturers) and should be binned - period. Keep it simple : top 10 get points, period. You don't need a PhD to understand this is the best way of doing things.
    I agree, but just saying it could happen
    How would it be different for, say, Skoda, to do what MSport is doing today (running a 14 events program with 2 drivers ?)If MSport can make it with virtually no cash from Ford, i believe a (better) factory supported team could do it ...
    Lappi came in with his payroll from Citroen, and Suninen has Jouhki's backing. Lappi and Suninen have also their personal sponsors, and of course Greensmith has oil company money. I think the rest is just balancing between marketing the company and its products, sponsor money and investing in the drivers career with the possibility to get a share of their future manufacturer team salary.

It's not that Skoda is not able to do 14 events with two drivers, it's just likely that they don't want to do it, since they quit their WRC2 program while winning and having just released a new evolution of the Fabia.

EDIT: The biggest difference with M-Sport to the likes of Citroen Racing and Skoda Motorsport must be that it's not owned by Ford. They do their own business and are not relying on marketing money.
    Last edited by AnttiL; 28th October 2020 at 07:01.

2. Likes: pantealex (28th October 2020)